Should the previous pastor/leader disappear from the church?

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟22,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I say this because I have just been told about a local church that is in a bit of a mess after the previous leader came to the end of a very long time 'in charge' (30 years). The thing is there will be an interregnum of about a year before a replacement will be found. Meetings before his departure laid down some plans for dealing with this interregnum (preaching, pastoring, worship, seeking the replacement, dividing up the responsibilities)
So far so good.
The thing is he is still floating about and popping in to the office and occasionally coming to the communion services. He has officially made another church His church.
Because he has been around for so long, some people are overwhelmed by him and his opinions and 'constructive criticisms', when he turns up and this is causing trouble when the current leadership meetings take place.
Should he have promised just to keep away?
What do others think?
Have you experienced this issue?

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would say if he is offering advice then he should stop. If he is there for fellowship and being a friend I'd be OK with that. Also would hope that he would support the current pastor.
I think most pastors leave and only come back for a founders service. I can be hard for people to switch loyalty over night after many years and maybe the only pastor they know.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟440,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that a clean break is the best solution. The former pastor should leave and not come back, at least for a year or two. And then if he wants to show up for an occasional service, that's fine, but no more opinions or constructive criticism. The church needs to live without him for a while.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In this case, I agree a clean break would be best for him and the existing congregation/pastor. His heart may be in the right place but you have to let go if you left. Stopping in for random visits to say hi is one thing, but it's good to coordinate that with pastor first too.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do others think?

Been there twice.

Depends on the character of the person (people) involved.

If the leader was like a 'monarch', monarchical in style then he won't be able to be around with another head honcho there, another King there, anymore than two red deer stags can live together in peace at rutting time. Dictators cannot be dictated to and a body cannot have 'two heads'. EGO. I. 'It's me and all I've done for this church'. But no, 'I'm the anointed majesty now, I'm the new guy, it's my way or the Highway!'

However if the leader was a Christ-like servant, who knew that he wasn't the leader or the head then no problem. There is nothing he would be less likely to do that cause friction in the church, that would make him brokenhearted.

:)

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I say this because I have just been told about a local church that is in a bit of a mess after the previous leader came to the end of a very long time 'in charge' (30 years). The thing is there will be an interregnum of about a year before a replacement will be found. Meetings before his departure laid down some plans for dealing with this interregnum (preaching, pastoring, worship, seeking the replacement, dividing up the responsibilities)
So far so good.
The thing is he is still floating about and popping in to the office and occasionally coming to the communion services. He has officially made another church His church.
Because he has been around for so long, some people are overwhelmed by him and his opinions and 'constructive criticisms', when he turns up and this is causing trouble when the current leadership meetings take place.
Should he have promised just to keep away?
What do others think?
Have you experienced this issue?

In the United Methodist denomination, a pastor upon retiring is required to place his/her membership in another congregation rather than the one that was served.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0