Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I loved Kenneth Hagin, and I learned a lot from my time at Rhema, but this is one of the few things I disagreed with him on. Obviously that puts me at odds with the vast majority within the WoF. So be it.

That's what gives us our individual free thought processes.
What kind of life would we have , if we were not able to express our free will.
I have always thought that God gave us his perfection, by allowing us to make our own choices.
This is another topic , but Calvinism limits a limitless God.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
No Christian is under any obligation to pay tithes.

True, just as no Christian is denied the right to not believe that , healing is God's will.
God is under no obligation to rebuke Satan from your life either ,unless you tithe.
That is a promise from God not me, and all the promises of God are yes and amen.

Malachi 3: 10. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

• Agree
Reactions: Denadii
Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey all question. I built a house some 35 years ago and the cost including the land was around $130,000. Over the years I put around $20,000 in improvements. I sold the house for around $320,000 and my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?
You planted a seed. Now you've harvested...The first fruits of your harvest. Look! Under the New Covenant you are not obliged to tithe. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tithe is still key to prosperity, to blessing. You could keep that ten percent, and see the end of that harvest. Or you could sow it and reap another harvest. If you do it graciously, unselfishly, gladly.

Upvote 0

wstu

Growing in faith
Jan 31, 2013
Central calif
✟2,867.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry all, I have not been getting alerts(emails) that there are new posts so I am just now seeing all the responses. First off, thanks all.

I also lean towards we are not required to pay a tithe but give as purposed in yourr heart as 1 Cor 9:7 states. But even though I lean that way I have paid a +-10% tithe on my income for the last 40 years. Only in the last 5 years have I relooked at why I am doing that. Giving as directed by Holy Spirit does seem more in line with the new covenant.

Here is where I am scratching my head if God does require 10% on increase. If you buy a house for $100,000 and 20 years you sell it for $200,000 and then go by another house odds are you will not be buying a nicer or bigger house since all house prices have rose so you will probably end up in a comparable house. So, is that $100,000 gain really profit? It does not help you buy something nicer unless you move to an area where house costs are lower. So, if you pay 10% on the profit you would end up with $10,000 less which means you could end up with a house that is not comparable to what you left. Again, thanks everyone for your input

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry all, I have not been getting alerts(emails) that there are new posts so I am just now seeing all the responses. First off, thanks all.

I also lean towards we are not required to pay a tithe but give as purposed in yourr heart as 1 Cor 9:7 states. But even though I lean that way I have paid a +-10% tithe on my income for the last 40 years. Only in the last 5 years have I relooked at why I am doing that. Giving as directed by Holy Spirit does seem more in line with the new covenant.

Here is where I am scratching my head if God does require 10% on increase. If you buy a house for $100,000 and 20 years you sell it for $200,000 and then go by another house odds are you will not be buying a nicer or bigger house since all house prices have rose so you will probably end up in a comparable house. So, is that $100,000 gain really profit? It does not help you buy something nicer unless you move to an area where house costs are lower. So, if you pay 10% on the profit you would end up with $10,000 less which means you could end up with a house that is not comparable to what you left. Again, thanks everyone for your input
Financially, I've had good years and bad years, and I've always believed that I would be crazy not to tithe.....What do you think? If the tithe is the key to blessings....would it be smart not to tithe?

• Agree
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

I believe just simply that fact ,you are troubled in this your Spirit knows something your mind doesent.

Upvote 0

wstu

Growing in faith
Jan 31, 2013
Central calif
✟2,867.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Financially, I've had good years and bad years, and I've always believed that I would be crazy not to tithe.....What do you think? If the tithe is the key to blessings....would it be smart not to tithe?

I think tithing has changed is all. It has gone from a law of 10% to giving as stated in 1 Cor 9:7 and as Holy Spirit directs. Giving should very much be a part of the new testament believer. It is not not a set amount and can vary from month to month.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True, just as no Christian is denied the right to not believe that , healing is God's will.
God is under no obligation to rebuke Satan from your life either ,unless you tithe.
That is a promise from God not me, and all the promises of God are yes and amen.

Malachi 3: 10. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

The promise of the devourer rebuked is what motivates me to tithe and call it "tithe". I know there is a lot of scripture that people cite to argue that the tithe is obsolete but I am unable to get past that one point. Intuitively, it seems that with the New Covenant, being a better covenant, the OT requirements could be a minimum that would be chosen for a giving program.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The promise of the devourer rebuked is what motivates me to tithe and call it "tithe". I know there is a lot of scripture that people cite to argue that the tithe is obsolete but I am unable to get past that one point. Intuitively, it seems that with the New Covenant, being a better covenant, the OT requirements could be a minimum that would be chosen for a giving program.

Amen, I personally believe there is confusion between the law of Moses
And God's covenants with mankind in general.
One sermon by Robert Morris, concluded that the context of (would a man Rob God) was robbing God of the ability to bless you.
I'm not convinced this was the intent of the question,but it looks at tithing in another perspective.
Common sense should tell us ,we live in a monetary system and have even before the Law of Moses.
We know there are bills to pay for the House of God in the same manner our own bills come due.
Even if a Church is paid for debt free there are still salaries and missions to promote the kingdom of God.
Most Churches that are self supporting ,collect offerings.
It seems to me that Word of Faith people would be first in line.
Being blessed to be a blessing is our theology, this includes a return on our giving.
If we gave without return we would be broke very soon.
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you.
Tithing places God's headge around us ,the devil attacks us from all directions and the promise of his rebuke is Gods blessings over us.
The verse all the promises of God are yea and so be it,are not proprietary to the New Testament.
The key here being All.
I know we are redeemed from the law of sin and death through Christ, but the majority of the Law was for sin,and no man was rightous enough to keep the law.

Romans 2: 13. (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves.

How much greater is Gods expection for those who walk by Faith and not by sight?

• Agree
Reactions: AJ Love
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
For me the significance of Jacob vowing a tenth at Bethel, shows a example of tithe long before the law of Moses.
After all Jacob had not been named Israel when when this event transpires.
So some want to say all the old testament is not for us, do we toss the ten commandments and murder,commit adultery etc..
I find people want the promise of giving in the New Testament, but they want to give as they see fit ,not according to obedience to God.
It's for God's glory ,and our obedience pleases him.
Why do we care about a tenth, when God has given us all we have had,all we have,and all we will ever have?
What is another odd thing ,is people love the promise of God, such as Isaiah 53, by his stripes
I do not find them tossing that aside, nor Psalms or Proverbs, not even season tickets to their team .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AJ Love
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Titheing is a hot topic,for years now I have watched post for and against.
It's like asking about free will among our Calvinest friends here.
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree on some topics.
Most Word of Faith members tithe faithfully, it is taught among our ministry's, to be Blessed you start with obedience.

Here's a reminder,

2 Timothy 3: 16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟616,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree about tithing, but Matthew 8:17 tells us that the context of Isaiah 53 is physical healing.

Absolutely right, Simon (for both tithing/healing). Hope you and your family had blessed holidays. I did... but, extremely busy! Hope to get back in here and share the Word soon.

Word-of-Faith1_zps3y4drm8y.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek. This was not a tenth of Abraham’s possessions, nor was it a tenth of Abraham’s annual income, nor was it even a regular offering which Abraham made to the local priest. This was a one-time gift from possessions which Abraham had just captured in war

Upvote 0