Should I be concerned about my company’s confidentiality policy when I install screenshot accountability?

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟39,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am wanting to install software that takes screenshots of an Android phone and sends them to accountability partners. At my company we use our phones to take pictures of equipment and video tape sometimes. I signed a confidentiality policy that says the employee shall not photocopy, duplicate, transfer, or make available confidential information unless it has already been made public by means other than the employee. I am wondering if I should be concerned about the confidentiality policy when I install screenshot accountability software. For accountability purposes I want the screenshots to be crystal clear except I may use a setting that removes text from screenshots. I could just tell my accountability partners to avoid looking at work related screenshots and I could tell them what hours I work. In this case my accountability partners are looking for inappropriate content in the screenshots so they would probably ignore work related screenshots. The software that I want to install is described at www.truple.io, and it takes screenshots without you knowing when and shares them with accountability partners.

If I decide to ask my company about this, I am wondering if it will result in me having to use a second phone as a work designated device. However I think it is too inconvenient to have to use two phones so it might be easier to decide not to ask them about it.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am wanting to install software that takes screenshots of an Android phone and sends them to accountability partners. At my company we use our phones to take pictures of equipment and video tape sometimes. I signed a confidentiality policy that says the employee shall not photocopy, duplicate, transfer, or make available confidential information unless it has already been made public by means other than the employee. I am wondering if I should be concerned about the confidentiality policy when I install screenshot accountability software. For accountability purposes I want the screenshots to be crystal clear except I may use a setting that removes text from screenshots. I could just tell my accountability partners to avoid looking at work related screenshots and I could tell them what hours I work. In this case my accountability partners are looking for inappropriate content in the screenshots so they would probably ignore work related screenshots. The software that I want to install is described at www.truple.io, and it takes screenshots without you knowing when and shares them with accountability partners.

If I decide to ask my company about this, I am wondering if it will result in me having to use a second phone as a work designated device. However I think it is too inconvenient to have to use two phones so it might be easier to decide not to ask them about it.
It's important to consider the potential implications of installing screenshot accountability software on your personal Android device, especially in light of your confidentiality policy. While your intention is for the screenshots to be used solely for accountability purposes and not to share or disclose confidential work-related information, there are still some risks that need to be weighed.

First, it's essential to review the specific terms of your company's confidentiality policy and consult with your employer or IT department about your plans. They may have guidelines or restrictions on using third-party software that can potentially access, duplicate, or share sensitive information from company devices.

If you decide to proceed with installing the software and keep work-related screenshots out of your accountability partners' view, you could consider setting up specific filters or settings on the software to avoid capturing confidential information. However, remember that there might still be a risk of the software inadvertently taking screenshots of sensitive data or accidentally sharing them with your accountability partners (such as during daylight's savings time, when the hours shift).

One possible solution could be to buy a cheap phone that you use for work that has no accountability software installed, and leave it at your desk (so you do not bring it home), ensuring that you do not introduce any potential risks to your company's confidential information, also helping you to avoid watching bad content at home on your personal Android.

Upvote 0

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟39,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, thanks for the information. The question may need to be asked if I need to also text my coworkers on the extra phone because the setting that removes text from the screenshots is not guaranteed to always work and I might turn off text redaction if I need an extra layer of protection (my accountability partners seeing what words I am searching on Google.)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, thanks for the information. The question may need to be asked if I need to also text my coworkers on the extra phone because the setting that removes text from the screenshots is not guaranteed to always work and I might turn off text redaction if I need an extra layer of protection (my accountability partners seeing what words I am searching on Google.)
You are welcome. You can get phones that only text and make calls though. A Nokia or something.

Upvote 0