-
✟45,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why become a Christian monk? Isn't it the NT teach us how to live as a community? The only argument for remain single is to serve God better but the idea of becoming a monk is not there in the Bible. What's the value of becoming a monk according to Christianity?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to Paul, sex/marriage is a distracting thing, if you can take it or leave it.
If being horny stumbles you, marriage is the sanctified way of dealing with it.
See 1 Corinthians 7.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why become a Christian monk? Isn't it the NT teach us how to live as a community? The only argument for remain single is to serve God better but the idea of becoming a monk is not there in the Bible. What's the value of becoming a monk according to Christianity?

The bible doesn't mention the term "Monk". In Christianity any member of the Church, even it's leadership, are allowed to marry if they wish.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟45,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible doesn't mention the term "Monk". In Christianity any member of the Church, even it's leadership, are allowed to marry if they wish.
Then what's the motivation to become one? They're plently of monks in Eastern orthodox church

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think you have the wrong view of monks. Today, they live in brotherhood with other monks. Yes, they are single, but they do not live and work alone, they are not hermits. Monasteries are communities. Some that I'm familiar with are located in cities, where they feed the hungry, and provide needed social services and assistance to the poor. They don't do this just once each week or month, like married volunteers may do; they work at these tasks day in and day out.

Many Christian denominations ask their members, especially young adult members, to serve for periods of time in various ministries, often far from home. In some cases, married couples perform those ministries. Monks are just one of several kinds of Christians doing the work of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟45,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you have the wrong view of monks. Today, they live in brotherhood with other monks. Yes, they are single, but they do not live and work alone, they are not hermits. Monasteries are communities. Some that I'm familiar with are located in cities, where they feed the hungry, and provide needed social services and assistance to the poor. They don't do this just once each week or month, like married volunteers may do; they work at these tasks day in and day out.

Many Christian denominations ask their members, especially young adult members, to serve for periods of time in various ministries, often far from home. In some cases, married couples perform those ministries. Monks are just one of several kinds of Christians doing the work of the Gospel.
If I work for my secular job and give money am I a Christian monk too? Lol, it's just labouring but the giving does the same impact and probably I earn more because of my skills

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I work for my secular job and give money am I a Christian monk too? Lol, it's just labouring but the giving does the same impact and probably I earn more because of my skills
"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them:
  • if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;
  • or ministry, let us use it in our ministering;
  • he who teaches, in teaching;
  • he who exhorts, in exhortation;
  • he who gives, with liberality;
  • he who leads, with diligence;
  • he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness." Romans 12:6-8 NKJV

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No. A Monk devotes his whole life to God just as a Nun does. There is more to a Monk's life then just work and making money. Here is a schedule of a Monk's day:

dayinlife1-1.jpg

Found here: A Monk's Day - Conception Abbey

Here is another: Daily Monastic Schedule – The Abbey of the Genesee

No one said sex is bad, these man and women give up carnal pursuits to serve God to exclusivity. Now one can still be in an order this is called third order where one is in the world and still wants to live by a rule like Franciscan, Benedictine, etc. I am a third order lay person (and I have relations with my wife) I am in the Brothers and Sisters of Pence and here is the description:

The Brothers and Sisters of Penance of St. Francis is a private Association of the Catholic Church whose members strive to model their lives according to the Rule and Statutes of the Primitive Rule of the Third Order of St. Francis, which was written for lay people in 1221 at the request of St. Francis of Assisi.

Source: BSP Brothers and Sisters of Penance of St Francis, Catholic Association

Monk, Nuns, and Third orders are callings just like being a Pastor or Priest is and not everyone is called. A Monk or Nun rejects the world to completely serve God and they are to be lauded not despised

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟45,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. A Monk devotes his whole life to God just as a Nun does. There is more to a Monk's life then just work and making money. Here is a schedule of a Monk's day:

dayinlife1-1.jpg

Found here: A Monk's Day - Conception Abbey

Here is another: Daily Monastic Schedule – The Abbey of the Genesee

No one said sex is bad, these man and women give up carnal pursuits to serve God to exclusivity. Now one can still be in an order this is called third order where one is in the world and still wants to live by a rule like Franciscan, Benedictine, etc. I am a third order lay person (and I have relations with my wife) I am in the Brothers and Sisters of Pence and here is the description:

The Brothers and Sisters of Penance of St. Francis is a private Association of the Catholic Church whose members strive to model their lives according to the Rule and Statutes of the Primitive Rule of the Third Order of St. Francis, which was written for lay people in 1221 at the request of St. Francis of Assisi.

Source: BSP Brothers and Sisters of Penance of St Francis, Catholic Association

Monk, Nuns, and Third orders are callings just like being a Pastor or Priest is and not everyone is called. A Monk or Nun rejects the world to completely serve God and they are to be lauded not despised
Is this some sort of human influence or invention or it's taught by Jesus? Why not the church pro life? The bible said be fruitful and multiply. Is there a higher reward for monk persuit than lay people in heaven? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this some sort of human influence or invention or it's taught by Jesus? Why not the church pro life? The bible said be fruitful and multiply. Is there a higher reward for monk persuit than lay people in heaven? I don't think so.

St. Paul said it is better to be single and serve God. You can't just focus on one thing that you like while ignoring the rest. You do thing's all the time not in the Bible, why? Many Churches are pro-life that has nothing to do with being a Monk or Nun. Why are you hating on people who are not hurting you and want to serve God, what is it to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe a monk could tell you. I've not come across any Biblical justification for women becoming nuns either.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not all monasteries interact with the public. Some are cloistered and I’ve stayed at one several times. We sat and dined with them during a monastic weekend.

The lone contact they had with the public was church service. They sat in a different area with a chain barring entry. The gift shop allowed some interaction. But that was it.

The day differs for every order. The one I visited focuses on prayer and devotes little time to work. They’re Cistercians.

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there a higher reward for monk persuit than lay people in heaven? I don't think so.
That was believed by many for a long time, and still may be by some. I don't believe God favors the unmarried over the married, or the full-time religious and ordained over the laity. Or vice-versa.

Think of your "vocation" as a choice. Some choose a totally religious vocation (priest, nun, brother, etc.) while others choose a more secular one. But the latter can and should still take on religious-oriented activities and ministries, on a part-time basis. Donating time, talent and treasure, in whatever ways and amounts one can, is what is asked of us all.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a monk could tell you. I've not come across any Biblical justification for women becoming nuns either.
There were both men and women disciples of Jesus, who accompanied him on his journeys and ministry. There are stories of what we could call "monks" and "nuns" in the Hebrew Bible. An example is Samuel, who was "dedicated to the Lord" as a child.

A New Testament example could be Paul. Was he ever married? Did he have children? In his years of travels, preaching and establishing Christian communities he also was accompanied by men and women, some married, some not. He cited them in his letters.

I had the great fortune to work, many decades back, in a Catholic hospital operated by an order of nuns. They worked long hours, day after day, dedicated to healing and serving others, caring for every one that came there, no matter what the patient's religion, skin color, ethnicity, or ability to pay. They were a wonderful example to me of what it meant to be a disciple of Jesus in following his words and example. My time there literally changed the course of my life, for which I am eternally grateful.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟292,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there a higher reward for monk persuit than lay people in heaven?

I suppose that would depend on how good they were at being a monk.
If being a monk just made them miserable and bitter, probably not.
I heard it expressed this way once - "a monk is turning their life into a prayer"

Check out Thomas Merton, he was a RC monk who published a number of works in the 1940's-1960's timeframe I think, classics for people considering or wandering about the path.

Thomas Merton - Wikipedia

The Seven Storey Mountain Quotes by Thomas Merton

The old "desert fathers" from the Eastern Orthodox I think were in the early years through ~300(?) - 5th century. They went off to practice solitude to be closer to God. Monasticism (I think) was born from the results as other emulated them. (in those days though, sometimes you just had to get out into the desert because people were trying to kill you as well, I think Athanasius spent a lot of time out there in one exile or another, in the company of one monk or another).

Sayings of the Desert Fathers - Wikipedia

The Sayings of the Desert Fathers Quotes by Benedicta Ward

Lots of people take and see the value in a spiritual retreat. The Monk never ends the spiritual retreat, and turns it into an advance instead. At least, that's the idea (I think)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟292,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps a better question might be, how do communities of men and women devoted to prayer, enrich the life of the church as a whole?

If prayer works, then those communities are basically dynamos.
If not, well then, does it matter anyway?

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟45,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps a better question might be, how do communities of men and women devoted to prayer, enrich the life of the church as a whole?
You're assuming the entire church or most of the church members live in the desert haha

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're assuming the entire church or most of the church members live in the desert haha

Your assumptions about Man and Women who devote their life to God is very off and as much as people have tried to correct your absolute faulty ideas it is clear you just want to bash people without understanding.

Upvote 0