Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I must admit that while I had a good idea of what the word sex referred to, I was not so sure about how gender played into that. So I would like to start with the bare definitions:

Sex - "either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions."

So sex as a trait is about biology and physiology. It is the what we are as humans.

Gender - the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

In this definition, gender is more about psychology and sociology. It is about what we think and do and how others think about us and interact with us.

This definition is probably the most accepted now, but was not always so. Gender and sex used to be used much more interchangeably.

If we accept these two definitions, it can help to avoid some of the confusion that seems to be rampant in our country right now. The first centers around athletics. Athletics is predominantly a physical endeavor and if we are going to segregate athletes at all into classes, it should be based on biology and not psychology.

The second is about function within a family. If you are a man, no matter how much you might want to be a woman, you will never be able to naturally have the reproductive functions of a woman. I use the term naturally here to shine a light on the attempts by plastic surgeons to capitalize on the gender confusion of some to create men that look like women. Maybe, one day in a world reminiscent of the horror novel "Frankenstein", they will get to the point where they can take the sexual organs of a dead woman and graft it into the body of a man and create a most unnatural woman. Do we really want to support this type of out of control science? Aren't the same people that would support this type of violation of biology, the same people that wouldn't touch genetically engineered corn?

Please share your thoughts

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,751,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must admit that while I had a good idea of what the word sex referred to, I was not so sure about how gender played into that. So I would like to start with the bare definitions:

Sex - "either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions."

So sex as a trait is about biology and physiology. It is the what we are as humans.

Gender - the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

In this definition, gender is more about psychology and sociology. It is about what we think and do and how others think about us and interact with us.

This definition is probably the most accepted now, but was not always so. Gender and sex used to be used much more interchangeably.

If we accept these two definitions, it can help to avoid some of the confusion that seems to be rampant in our country right now. The first centers around athletics. Athletics is predominantly a physical endeavor and if we are going to segregate athletes at all into classes, it should be based on biology and not psychology.

The second is about function within a family. If you are a man, no matter how much you might want to be a woman, you will never be able to naturally have the reproductive functions of a woman. I use the term naturally here to shine a light on the attempts by plastic surgeons to capitalize on the gender confusion of some to create men that look like women. Maybe, one day in a world reminiscent of the horror novel "Frankenstein", they will get to the point where they can take the sexual organs of a dead woman and graft it into the body of a man and create a most unnatural woman. Do we really want to support this type of out of control science? Aren't the same people that would support this type of violation of biology, the same people that wouldn't touch genetically engineered corn?

Please share your thoughts
Before I continue… did you mean to post this in the Catholic political sub forum? The teachings of the Church are pretty clear in these matters. Of course it is up for discussion but I’m not sure what you are getting at? Sorry for my confusion.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟582,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before I continue… did you mean to post this in the Catholic political sub forum? The teachings of the Church are pretty clear in these matters. Of course it is up for discussion but I’m not sure what you are getting at? Sorry for my confusion.
I debated putting this in American Politics; but decided to put it here to maybe clarify and unify the Catholics here around what words mean and how those meanings should elucidate and not obfuscate our thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0