• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Severe Anxiety and Bipolar Disorder

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone!

So, I've had severe anxiety off and on for most of my life. Lately, it's been worse than ever. Last week, I had a panic attack so nasty, I actually called 911 thinking I was dying. It has been SO horrible.

Does anyone else suffer from anxiety really bad? Is it a part of the disorder or something separate?

Jesus' Girl

❤️❤️❤️
Dec 27, 2016
✟34,247.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes I have severe (well depends on situation) social anxiety. I don’t talk to others due to the amount of fear I have with talking to others and being judged. I can’t even go for walks right now due to thr fear of being looked at. I can say something and smile when talked to at supermarket but avoid if possible. I don’t ever start convos ...can’t even remember thr last time. It is a horrible condition has ruined most of my life

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I have severe (well depends on situation) social anxiety. I don’t talk to others due to the amount of fear I have with talking to others and being judged. I can’t even go for walks right now due to thr fear of being looked at. I can say something and smile when talked to at supermarket but avoid if possible. I don’t ever start convos ...can’t even remember thr last time. It is a horrible condition has ruined most of my life
Yeah I had some anxiety this weekend that was like this. My sister came down for the weekend and had a cookout. She invited all of her friends and stuff, but there were way too many people around and I had a lot of anxiety of it. I had to go home for a few hours.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Last year I suffered a panic attack so severe, I was planning on killing myself. Four users on this site had to talk me out of it. The panic attack lasted around two and a half hours before I was completely calm.

Normally the occasional panic attack I get lasts a few minutes but holy cow was this one a doozy.
Yeah the way mine usually hits is strange. I was just sitting here in bed one night watching YouTube videos and I felt a sudden pain in my chest and I was convinced I was having a heart attack. Paramedics came out and checked me. Heart was fine, but my pulse was racing.

Another time, back in the day, I was in line with a friend at the movies ready to see 300 and it hit me out of the blue. Instead of watching the movie, I ended up at the hospital.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have had them and they are terrible. Fast heart rate and sweating and can't breath. Just the thought of them is scary alone. Mine used to came out of nowhere and for no reason that I know of?

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder.

Panic attacks sucketh!

It is common for persons with Bipolar Disorder to have periods of their life where they are prone to panic attacks. I pray that yours will subside for a very, very long time :)

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I also have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder.

Panic attacks sucketh!

It is common for persons with Bipolar Disorder to have periods of their life where they are prone to panic attacks. I pray that yours will subside for a very, very long time :)
Thank you kindly! I pray the same for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: CallofChrist
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟161,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't have Bipolar Disorder but I do have anxiety bad enough. I've felt anxious about every single day for over five years and it's not fun. Sometimes it's off and on, sometimes it's only in the morning, and other times it's nonstop. And usually there isn't anything to worry about at the time. :/

I'm sure I have social anxiety too because I often don't like talking to people and I can get nervous around a lot of people. I believe much of my anxiety was caused by my bad experiences in school, but it's weird how it didn't show up much until after the bad times were over. My anxiety is so odd because eating a lot at once triggers it for some reason and nothing I've tried has helped me very much.

I can sympathize with you guys about panic attacks, I do NOT like them. Thankfully I don't have them very often anymore and when I do they're usually very brief. But I do remember one time when I was 13 I had one that lasted at least half an hour at school. It was horrible and I thought I might die! For some reason I had a lot of panic attacks when I was 10, which is weird because I didn't have a lot to worry about then-that was before school got bad and before my regular anxiety even showed up at all. At first they really scared me because I didn't know what they were back then.

Praying for all of you. :purpleheart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first time I had an anxiety attack I thought I would just die because I couldn't breath. It's ugly. It lasted a few minutes but it felt like a long time.

Thank God it doesn't happen often. Now I try to stay calm and I think about Jesus. The last time was a year ago. We should all pray for each other.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Girl

❤️❤️❤️
Dec 27, 2016
✟34,247.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I forgot to mention I’ve had an panic attack before..a few times. It is the most awful thing. I remember lying down one night after some stress and suddenly I get up and boom my heart races and this sudden surge of fight or flight hits me. This darkness comes in and I feel like I’ve lost a friend or family member..a sort of severe grief. I feel sick and like I’m in hell. I start to cry and react to what is happening in my body. I beg God to help me and go to my mum wanting relief (narcissists can’t help you...) and just pray. I watch something funny on YouTube to get a happy sense. Eventually it fades.
I’ve felt it starting to come one before. Only once since then (last year) If I start to feel that sense again I realise I am and tell myself “no! Breathe!” And breathe slowly and think good thoughts of things i like or enjoy

I don’t believe panic attacks are the same as anxiety attacks but am unsure on defining them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟931,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm both Bipolar and Schizophrenic my official diagnosis is schizo-affective disorder with bipolar. Believe me, I understand what you're going through because, I'm going through it right now. The anxiety just won't go away and it's been almost a month now and sometimes it feels like your anxiety is being hidden by your mania. Every time I try to sleep I get this severe anxiety whether I'm medicated or not, I'm always either cold or hot I'm never in between. Because of the anxiety I have dry mouth almost constantly and it's enough to drive anyone completely bonkers. The difficulty swallowing has mostly gone away by now though so I at least don't have to go through that anymore. I was worrying about just about everything (I'm not really anymore), in a state of just pure all out panic. I was getting 2-3 panic attacks a night towards the beginning of my episode. This is not my worst episode but it's the longest episode that I've EVER had to endure since I got diagnosed 6 years ago.

When you're in full blown mania like I have been for the past week and a half or so it's really scary. It feels like you'll never get better. It got so bad that I was suicidal the other day and had to be hospitalized for a day until I got better and wanted to come home. I'm still not fully better. It just sucks. But you know what? There is hope because we get through every single episode that we've ever had to endure! Everytime I was at my worst I ALWAYS recovered. They all end eventually and this episode will end too I just have to be patient. Anyway, just figured I'd tell you that I understand what you're going through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds like you guys have been through a lot.

It just so happens that I do have anxiety problems. The problem is that anxiety attacks do not all come from the same thing. So, I have to do a lot of thinking when they happen. A good example is when I thought I was having a heart-attack, but when they brought me in it they found that my lung was punctured. I also have asthma attacks and it wouldn't be wise to take something that would slow my breathing or calm me down. There are many other reasons and I think someone mentioned having mental illness that causes attacks.

I don't know if counseling or techniques help with the anxiety. I do read a bit and that helps normalize or work through other events in life. Counseling seems to help me accept things or think through them on my own. I have a lot of pills that help.

As to what it feels like? I tell mom that it feels like I'm drowning.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟846,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like you guys have been through a lot.

It just so happens that I do have anxiety problems. The problem is that anxiety attacks do not all come from the same thing. So, I have to do a lot of thinking when they happen. A good example is when I thought I was having a heart-attack, but when they brought me in it they found that my lung was punctured. I also have asthma attacks and it wouldn't be wise to take something that would slow my breathing or calm me down. There are many other reasons and I think someone mentioned having mental illness that causes attacks.

I don't know if counseling or techniques help with the anxiety. I do read a bit and that helps normalize or work through other events in life. Counseling seems to help me accept things or think through them on my own. I have a lot of pills that help.

As to what it feels like? I tell mom that it feels like I'm drowning.
Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry you've dealt with this too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0