Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I came across a discussion in 1979 about the 'Life of Brian'. People were and probably still are, divided about whether it is funny to make comedy about the life of Jesus.

I wonder if it is ok to laugh about this? Personally I don't find Monty Python funny, but I do sometimes laugh if other comedy is good and not too irreverent about such matters. Like Father Ted is funny to me because it is not crossing a line - it is obviously not serious. We do possess a sense of humour perhaps to stop us being too deadly serious all the time. But I feel a guilt if I laugh sometimes.

I have quite weird and broad sense of humor and I laugh a lot but I don’t usually laugh things people usually laugh about.
For example I don’t find regular jokes funny at all. I haven’t seen life of brian and I don’t watch any shows where Jesus is mocked or laughed at, it makes me sad, not happy. I would not ever watch any shows like that. I believe we all need to make our own choices in this world so im not saying that kind of humor should be banned because I believe in freedom in Jesus but it’s my choice not to watch shows like that. Even it’s just a show. To me really it’s heartbreaking and not funny at all. Always feel bad for Jesus in this kind of situations.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,168,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus isn't mocked in life of Brian.
I'm glad to hear that. Really am glad you feel that way.

It's very good that I refused to watch it past a certain point as a teen or early 20s person, as it would have done even more damage to me than I'd already done myself I think, based on seeing more excerpts now (again). To make seeking God a joke for instance (people looking for a messiah appear foolish, etc. ) may be, probably is, not dangerous for someone strong in faith, already secure, already safe....

But, see, imagine a whole different person than yourself.

Imagine being someone lost, not sure if God exists, or thinking probably He doesn't, as an example. Someone lost, who isn't even sure on a rare best day if they should seek God. For that person, making all of that setting (people foolishly looking for a messiah, etc.) just humor isn't always going to work at as so benign! Some people don't react the same, don't think the same, as a believer already strong in faith.

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm glad to hear that. Really am glad you feel that way.

It's very good that I refused to watch it past a certain point as a teen or early 20s person, as it would have done even more damage to me than I'd already done myself I think, based on seeing more excerpts now (again). To make seeking God a joke for instance (people looking for a messiah appear foolish, etc. ) may be, probably is, not dangerous for someone strong in faith, already secure, already safe....

But, see, imagine a whole different person than yourself.

Imagine being someone lost, not sure if God exists, or thinking probably He doesn't, as an example. Someone lost, who isn't even sure on a rare best day if they should seek God. For that person, making all of that setting (people foolishly looking for a messiah, etc.) just humor isn't always going to work at as so benign! Some people don't react the same, don't think the same, as a believer already strong in faith.

A lot of people were foolish in their pursuit of a messiah. There were real false messiahs, failed uprisings, and the like, happening in that time in Judea. Brian as a fictional character is depicted as one of them, although rather humorously against his will.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,168,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people were foolish in their pursuit of a messiah. There were real false messiahs, failed uprisings, and the like, happening in that time in Judea. Brian as a fictional character is depicted as one of them, although rather humorously against his will.
Yes, I can imagine seeing it that way, different from how it felt to me. People aren't all the same. I can imagine other ways of seeing things now better, as I'm older, but I can also remember how it did come across to me, back then. I'd not invite a bunch of teens to see this movie.... It could be harmless to 10 and help destroy 1....

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I came across a discussion in 1979 about the 'Life of Brian'. People were and probably still are, divided about whether it is funny to make comedy about the life of Jesus.

I wonder if it is ok to laugh about this? Personally I don't find Monty Python funny, but I do sometimes laugh if other comedy is good and not too irreverent about such matters. Like Father Ted is funny to me because it is not crossing a line - it is obviously not serious. We do possess a sense of humour perhaps to stop us being too deadly serious all the time. But I feel a guilt if I laugh sometimes.

I love Father Ted! Never heard of Life of Brian.
Humor is one of the things that can bring different people together. I think it's important.

Upvote 0