Not open for further replies.

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a former member of the LDS Church, I know a lot about how Mormons think and act. Therefore, I would suggest that in the Forum here a forum for those who want to learn about sects and cults (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientology and many others), and where former members can give their testimony, how grateful they are, now no longer to be part of these sects and cults, but reborn in Christ. What do you think about that?

Reactions: Tigger45

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟19,041.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a former member of the LDS Church, I know a lot about how Mormons think and act. Therefore, I would suggest that in the Forum here a forum for those who want to learn about sects and cults (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientology and many others), and where former members can give their testimony, how grateful they are, now no longer to be part of these sects and cults, but reborn in Christ. What do you think about that?

This isn't the venue for testimonies on how they departed their bondage to untruths ; this venue is for debating subjects where one takes an affirmative view while another takes a dissending view in the form of constructive arguments. Maybe Mark the Moderator will jump in and give us his thoughts ?

Upvote 0

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dave, I think you misunderstood my suggestion. I wanted on the one hand that sects and cults this is elucidated, and on the other hand, that the people from these sects and cults have the chance to know what their own group does not teach them. Who is free of these sects, others want to warn; to fall into the same trap. It is our duty as Christians to do.
An example:

Did you know that the LDS Church has previously taught that God and Jesus are polygamists? Or that of absolute obedience to the Church leaders demanded that the independent thinking ceases; when the leaders of the Mormon Church say something? And that they have repeatedly abused their power in American history?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟839,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

We do allow such posts in Christianity and World Religions forum; and staff are discussing this even as I post.

This isn't the venue for testimonies on how they departed their bondage to untruths ; this venue is for debating subjects where one takes an affirmative view while another takes a dissending view in the form of constructive arguments. Maybe Mark the Moderator will jump in and give us his thoughts ?

You are correct, however...

If you want, set up a formal debate thread and you and I can debate/discuss what you find to be indications that Mormonism is a cult.

If someone wants to participate, I will set up a one on one debate.:)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm hoping you will set one up and invite me :)

I would be interested in examining things you say are evidence that Mormonism is a cult . . . discussing and/or debating if they are real standards to go by. On a "line-item" basis, I might disagree, or play the sceptic, or agree . . . depending on each item of evidence.

If you start a thread, please let me know :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟839,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm hoping you will set one up and invite me :)

I would be interested in examining things you say are evidence that Mormonism is a cult . . . discussing and/or debating if they are real standards to go by. On a "line-item" basis, I might disagree, or play the sceptic, or agree . . . depending on each item of evidence.

If you start a thread, please let me know :)

You know, you are free to post a debate proposal.:idea::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you know that the LDS Church has previously taught that God and Jesus are polygamists? Or that of absolute obedience to the Church leaders demanded that the independent thinking ceases; when the leaders of the Mormon Church say something? And that they have repeatedly abused their power in American history?
Ok, Jutta2, I am setting up a debate proposal thread where you and I can debate and test and discuss what are indications of if Mormonism is a cult. You would present your experience and findings, and I would evaluate or question or confirm which things really are a reliable indication of if Mormonism is a cult, and how reliable are the sources for evaluating.

Upvote 0

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, Jutta2, I am setting up a debate proposal thread where you and I can debate and test and discuss what are indications of if Mormonism is a cult. You would present your experience and findings, and I would evaluate or question or confirm which things really are a reliable indication of if Mormonism is a cult, and how reliable are the sources for evaluating.

Good idea! In which forum you would like to open up the thread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟839,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'll open one up in the formal debate forum, it will be a one on one; but I've got night school tonight and tomorrow, so maybe you guys could draft out the stipulations as per this thread:
Formal Debate Proposals Guidelines

And @Patrick Bateman could give you guys a hand. I will be on here a bit ever day so if you or he have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Mark

Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good idea! In which forum you would like to open up the thread?
Jutta, I have already offered a proposal in the "Debate Proposals" in the Debate section.

But I need to clarify that I do not have very much reliable information about Mormonism. I am interested only in playing the sceptic about whatever you present to mean that Mormonism is a cult. And my main interest is to confront us all that any of us can be cultic, ourselves, and therefore when we evaluate even a cultic group it can be good to see how "that could be me".

Among other things, if you present a point of why Mormonism is a cult . . . after having yourself been a Mormon . . . I might draw you out about how . . . ever . . . you could have gone along with that. We could bring out why such numbers of educated and civil people could stay in it. How could it be a "cult", then? Things like this.

So, I would like to have you free to present whatsoever you please and I would respond with skepticism or confirmation, with Biblical references to evaluate. And "of course" offer comments about however any of us, being human, could be somehow like how you say Mormonism is a cult.

And I would be drawing you out, perhaps, for clarification.

So, our rules would be basically, that you would give one item, at a time, perhaps, so readers could have less complicated reading. And maybe make a post, then wait until I answer that one, please. No limits, but both of us keep it as short and simple but as complete as we do, per post.

Each of us could start off with how we have developed so we now can have the views we have about Mormonism, and consider how our background could effect our perception.

So, I think all you need to do is visit the "Debate Proposal" thread and go into "Is Mormonism a Cult?" and respond to my invite, and I think we could just say our rules are "mutual moderation", meaning we adapt for each item we are handling at the moment, but we exchange posts, maybe at times leaving some time, even days, between posts while either of us is away from our computers or not ready to answer. At times, I am away for days, and maybe you might have other time needs. So, it would be pretty informal :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Happy to help.
Hi, Patrick :) In the debate proposals section, Jutta and I have already now agreed to have our "debate" :) So, you or whoever can set up the formal thread. Also, if you please, you can just move the contents of our proposal thread over to the formal debate section, and then we can continue. She seems to believe the proposal thread is the debate thread; so I think this would be fine with her. And then I can start commenting about her details. However you please, thanks :) Bill

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟910,475.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Patrick :) In the debate proposals section, Jutta and I have already now agreed to have our "debate" :) So, you or whoever can set up the formal thread. Also, if you please, you can just move the contents of our proposal thread over to the formal debate section, and then we can continue. She seems to believe the proposal thread is the debate thread; so I think this would be fine with her. And then I can start commenting about her details. However you please, thanks :) Bill

Hello!

I'll confer with Mark just to make sure I do it properly, but I'll aim to have it sorted as soon as possible :)

Looking forward to reading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.