antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
First off, get a job waiting tables in Hollywood...that´s a good start. Get to know people in the industry...then :

1) Write
2) Pitch your stories
3) back to 1)
You're not serious, are you? It's a myth that you have to L.A. to have your script sold. And waiting tables is the sterotypical job for aspiring writers, ain't it? A true sterotype, though ^_^

First, how many scripts have you written in what span of time?

Ideas don't sell. Neither do concepts. What kinda scripts do you write? Action? For children? Experimental? Horror?

If you write horror, good going! It's the easiest genre to sell-- if you don't mind going straight to DVD and earning practically nothing...just credit, which is like money when you're starting out.

And the most important question: Are you serious? Or is this just a hobby?

Upvote 0

archangelz

Nov 30, 2006
✟15,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're not serious, are you? It's a myth that you have to L.A. to have your script sold. And waiting tables is the sterotypical job for aspiring writers, ain't it? A true sterotype, though ^_^

First, how many scripts have you written in what span of time?

Ideas don't sell. Neither do concepts. What kinda scripts do you write? Action? For children? Experimental? Horror?

If you write horror, good going! It's the easiest genre to sell-- if you don't mind going straight to DVD and earning practically nothing...just credit, which is like money when you're starting out.

And the most important question: Are you serious? Or is this just a hobby?

Not a hobby i only wrote 1 script working on the second basically comedy, horror is the easiest to write for me but don't wan't to really do it on principles.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Not a hobby i only wrote 1 script working on the second...;/quote]
Good. You could try networking online, in places like here: http://www.zoetrope.com/ See how's the indie film "scene" in your town. I mean, the real indie films, students films. It's usually easier than you think to find ppl to work with. But honestly, you wanna sell. That's harder than directing a film. Pretend that script sold. What next? It will get butchered. If whoever is putting up the money decides the lead character has to be a female, not a male, then you have to rewrite the whole thing. It's a headache. At least you want your script sold without you being attached to it, which is the most likely scenenario anyways. You'll be selling away the rights to your baby. If you care, it'll sting a bit. If you don't care, like me, and only care for the money. Good! It don't mean you write crappy scripts. You just take it as a job or something.

There are lots of sites online where you could have your work exposed. Of course, I'm assuming is in right format and already copyrighted. Nothing [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]es off a producer more than a script wrongly formatted and with bad grammar. You only get one mistake in a script. Two if the producer is in a good mood...or overlooks it.

horror is the easiest to write for me but don't wan't to really do it on principles.
You don't have to do it. I was just saying. Personally, I don't write horror neither.

So it's not a hobby.? That's what everyone says until they start to learn how the whole deal really is.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I posted this in the writing section didn't see the script writing section

anyways

how do you go about selling your scripts
or how do you get a job as a t.v writer?

thanks

:bow: ARCHANGEL . . .

WoW . . .

anyways, I support TAC (post number two below yours) . . . haven resided here in Southern California for many many a year, I can safely and HONESTLY say the world of Hollywood has been greatly misconstrued :tutu: . . .

The SCRIPT is indeed of utmost importance, yet to me, the MUSIC which is played during the scenes of the PROTAGONIST is more important . . . so beware not to put every emphasis on the evil . . .

There are several "BOOKS", pages that describe in detail, from successful script writers, which you could peruse at your local LIBRARY, a personal card runs as little as a token $ five bucks and a "fine" if not returned on time . . . There are 100s of thousands of books to choose from on ANY topic . . .

Have Fun !!
:angel:

Upvote 0

FireRock

Call me a dreamer of the seemingly unattainable...
Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You mentioned becoming a television writer, archangelz. Start writing, go to your local cable access station, take their classes so you can use their equipment and whatnot, then get people together and create a show. I've heard it's a great way to build a portfolio and kind of get yourself out there as a director/writer/editor/etc. Just try to find one in the town or city that you are a resident of...otherwise it's annoying as all get out to do it.

Personal experience. The closest one I could find was in a town at least half an hour away from me, and it felt like I ran into several roadblocks. But I probably didn't work at pushing through them that well either. Such is life, and such is my advice to you, good sir.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's possible for a new writer to sell a movie script.

It's not possible for a new writer to sell -- or even to submit -- a TV series script (except for local or indie stations, maybe.)

If you submit an unsolicited script for a TV show, it'll be returned, unread (and with a hole in the corner of the envelope.)

They tear the hole to make sure there's a script inside, then they return it or throw it away if a SASE wasn't enclosed.

They have a good reason for doing so -- if they read your script, then air an episode that is similar to your script, you may have grounds to claim that they stole your story. Since hundreds of unsolicited scripts arrive every day, anything they air will also be in at least one of those scripts.

So here's what you do:

Write a script for a different, but similar, TV series, and send it to them. Ask first, though.

For instance, if you want to write for CSI:Miami, you might send the prodco a script for Cold Case.

They'll probably still not be interested in seeing the work of a non-established writer, but there is a slim chance that they might -- which beats an absolute zero chance.

The sad fact is that almost all TV work is done in-house by people who have a proven track record.

Which is why it's a good idea to have at least three or four salable scripts ready at any time -- once you get your foot in the door by making your first decent sale, pretty much all markets suddenly become open to you, and they'll all want to know what else you have.

Upvote 0

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, there is no upper limit, of course. For the lower limit:

as a non-Guild member, not much. Maybe even nothing. But you'd gain exposure and you'll probably be asked to write another episode (for standard pay.) You may even become a regular writer for the series (which pays quite well.)

If you're a Guild member, the Minimum Basic Agreement applies. So, assuming that your teleplay is between 31 and 60 minutes long, that it runs on Network Prime Time, and that you also get a Story By credit, you're looking at about $30,145 for the final draft.

Upvote 0

The Ascetic Crusader

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Milk River , Alberta
✟16,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
horror is the easiest to write for me but don't wan't to really do it on principles.

How come ? The battle between good and evil can get mighty gruesome. Heck, look at Constantine ; priests battling demons on the streets of LA. Loved it !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums