Scotland’s New Transgender ‘Hate Crime’ Law Already Showing How It Leads to Tyranny...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,735,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scotland’s new “hate crime” law already is demonstrating how it will be used to squash dissent and free speech.

The so-called Hate Crime and Public Order Act, which went into force in Scotland on April Fools’ Day, adds age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and transgender identity to a list of protected classes.

The law provides for various potential punishments, including jail time.

The new law has been fiercely criticized by author J.K. Rowling, creator of the “Harry Potter” series, and many others who rightly see it as an attack on the freedom of speech.

Scottish First Minister Humza Yousaf said the billis about “protecting people from a rising tide of hatred.” But who will protect the people’s God-given right to free speech?

When asked about activists who are creating lists of other people to target when the law goes into effect, Yousaf said that the only ones who should worry are those who are stirring up hatred.

But who decides what exactly stirring up “hatred” really means?

Siobhian Brown, Scotland’s minister for victims and community safety, was asked whether intentionally “misgendering” someone would be considered a crime under the law. At first she said, “Not at all,” then continued: “It could be reported and it could be investigated. Whether or not the police would think it was criminal is up to Police Scotland.”

Very reassuring.

The response to the law has been predictable.

Scottish police reportedly “received more than 7,000 online reports of offences in the first week since the introduction of a new hate crime law.”

Police have called the law an unsustainable burden on their force. Frankly, I’m more concerned with the burden this law and ones like it are placing on the fraying threads holding up the fleeting notion that those living under such measures really live in a “free” society.

I don’t buy the premise that this law was created just to protect the vulnerable and that the Scottish people have nothing to worry about.

Continued below.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
April Fools’ Day, adds age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and transgender identity to a list of protected classes.

The law provides for various potential punishments, including jail time.
For hate crimes? Why not?
The new law has been fiercely criticized by author J.K. Rowling, creator of the “Harry Potter” series, and many others who rightly see it as an attack on the freedom of speech.
An attack on freedom of speech or an attack on hate crimes?
Scottish First Minister Humza Yousaf said the billis about “protecting people from a rising tide of hatred.” But who will protect the people’s God-given right to free speech?
Or possibly their God-Given right to commit a hate crime? Well, as long as it's done in the name of Christianity then maybe it's a "love crime?"
But who decides what exactly stirring up “hatred” really means?
It's mostly Christians stirring up hatred.
“It could be reported and it could be investigated. Whether or not the police would think it was criminal is up to Police Scotland.”
How unexpected, the police deciding what is a crime and enforcing it by law?

Drop the hate.....meditate.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟279,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For hate crimes? Why not?

An attack on freedom of speech or an attack on hate crimes?

Or possibly their God-Given right to commit a hate crime? Well, as long as it's done in the name of Christianity then maybe it's a "love crime?"

It's mostly Christians stirring up hatred.

How unexpected, the police deciding what is a crime and enforcing it by law?

Drop the hate.....meditate.
Who gets to decide what, exactly, is a "hate crime"?

If a Christian refuses to bake a wedding cake for two homosexuals, is that hate crime?

If a homosexual burns down a church for refusing to marry him and his boyfriend, is that a hate crime?

If a conservative school board chooses to block biological males from using female locker rooms and rest rooms, is that a hate crime?

If a liberal school board allows "drag queen" story hours for elementary children, reading accounts of same-sex love, and Christian parents raise the rafters about their kids being exposed to such, is that a hate crime?

Where does the line between freedom of speech and hate crime begin? Who establishes the litmus test? If you're offended by something I say, but your neighbor is not, have I committed a hate crime? If you do something I object to and I express a distaste for your action, is that a hate crime?

Is there a universal standard for all this? Or is it simply each person deciding for themselves?

Since we apparently no longer have accepted standards for everyone, should we divide up the country into different social-group areas, and establish strict segregation?

• Winner
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

If a Christian refuses to bake a wedding cake for two homosexuals, is that hate crime?

If a homosexual burns down a church for refusing to marry him and his boyfriend, is that a hate crime?

If a conservative school board chooses to block biological males from using female locker rooms and rest rooms, is that a hate crime?

If a liberal school board allows "drag queen" story hours for elementary children, reading accounts of same-sex love, and Christian parents raise the rafters about their kids being exposed to such, is that a hate crime?
No, it's just ignorance
Where does the line between freedom of speech and hate crime begin? Who establishes the litmus test? If you're offended by something I say, but your neighbor is not, have I committed a hate crime? If you do something I object to and I express a distaste for your action, is that a hate crime?
Ask your local Federal prosecutors. I don't have a law degree.
Is there a universal standard for all this? Or is it simply each person deciding for themselves?
THere is a universal standard for conservatives but each person deciding for themselves is pretty much the dictionary's definition of Liberal.
Since we apparently no longer have accepted standards for everyone, should we divide up the country into different social-group areas, and establish strict segregation?
That would be more of a conservative notion. I think you will find that more conservatives are fine with segregation than progressives. So possibly one could take a look in the mirror and decide who they want the law to discriminate against.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟279,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it's just ignorance
Ah, I see. Well, if I adhere to 2000+ years of divine revelation and that makes me ignorant, I guess I'll choose to be ignorant. :)
Ask your local Federal prosecutors. I don't have a law degree.
Doesn't matter. Every woke progressive I know doesn't have a law degree, but it sure doesn't stop them from trying to enforce what they think should be law.
There is a universal standard for conservatives but each person deciding for themselves is pretty much the dictionary's definition of Liberal.
So everybody does what they think is right, regardless of what anybody else thinks?

I think illegal aliens should be rounded up and deported, I think that American foreign aid should be abolished, I think every American citizen should be required to carry a gun, and I think drug pushers, child molesters, rapists, kidnappers, and domestic abusers should either be shot or used to decorate telephone poles, and I don't care what anybody else thinks. I guess that makes me the dictionary definition of a liberal. ^_^
That would be more of a conservative notion. I think you will find that more conservatives are fine with segregation than progressives. So possibly one could take a look in the mirror and decide who they want the law to discriminate against.
Well, I don't believe that segregation and discrimination necessarily equate to the same thing, but your mileage may vary. ;)

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟738,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Where does the line between freedom of speech and hate crime begin?

Who establishes the litmus test?

If you're offended by something I say, but your neighbor is not, have I committed a hate crime?
No
If you do something I object to and I express a distaste for your action, is that a hate crime?
No
Is there a universal standard for all this?
I believe the standard is when on acts on their hate and harms another person.
is it simply each person deciding for themselves?
No, it's for the government and courts to decide.
Have we ever had universally accepted standards? No, we shouldn't divide people up.

Upvote 0