SciFi and Fantasy in this forum?

What do you think of making this the Science Fiction & Fantasy Forum?

• I only read Science Fiction and want it to stay this way!

• I read mostly Fantasy and would love it to change!

• I read both!

• I really don't care, it can be changed or not.

• I'm in the wrong forum --- let me out of here, you guys are nuts!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟17,246.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there is so much overlap, not only in certain books, but also in the people who read them, that we might as well consider this the Science Fiction & Fantasy Forum! What are the opinions on that? I read both, mostly depending on what mood I'm in. The majority of the fans I know also read both, although not all of them of course.

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not really all that big a deal I guess. I just wanted to make sure people felt comfortable posting threads about Fantasy on here. When I first started posting here there was nothing but Sci-fi threads. Personally I think the two are differant enough subjects to warrant two forums but thats just an opinion. I'm sure combining the two here wouldn't cause any problems.

Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟17,246.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lordbay said:
I hear ya!! I started out a sci- fi reader, but now, I mostly do fantasy. I know this might be diff. to ask, but is there a such thing as Christian fantasy? If so what is good.:cool:
I don't know of any books that are specifically Christian Fantasy, but religion does play (to one degree or another) a fair role in most novels of Fantasy and often in Science Fiction too. It's just not always Christian relgion, at least in Fantasy, where you are in another "realm" and it ordinarily wouldn't seem quite fitting to have the character have a "this realm" religion.....at least that's what the reasoning has seemed to me to be, because they almost never seem to use any religion from "our realm"......

I have seen Christian religion or what would seem to be Christian religion after another few thousand years of change in several Science Fiction novels but I can't recall the names just off my head.

I'm going to try to remember to go home and look through my book shelves and see. I've got two and they are both overflowing it might take me a few days to see them all..... :blush: I don't actually know what all books I own at this point....

Upvote 0

Lordbay

Oct 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, I quess that what draws me to Fantasy. I like the good a nd evil thing. There are is always the light and dark powers. Good always wins. I is so much like our lives, using a good power to over come a bad power. I alot of them the is book to follow and you have to know the word. Most of them they have to speak the word, just like us. We speak the name and the Word Of God. I like it that good wins, just like we do!!!

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lordbay said:
Thanks, I quess that what draws me to Fantasy. I like the good a nd evil thing. There are is always the light and dark powers. Good always wins. I is so much like our lives, using a good power to over come a bad power. I alot of them the is book to follow and you have to know the word. Most of them they have to speak the word, just like us. We speak the name and the Word Of God. I like it that good wins, just like we do!!!
I'd never really thought about it like that, I just seem to read fantasy as a sort of an escape (I'm doing a maths degree...hmmm...fun!:sigh: )

I just seem to sit there not really thinking too deeply about whats going on at all, just enjoying the story!

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lordbay said:
I hear ya!! I started out a sci- fi reader, but now, I mostly do fantasy. I know this might be diff. to ask, but is there a such thing as Christian fantasy? If so what is good.:cool:
Alot of this depends on your definition of fantasy. www.christianbook.com has alot of things listed under their fantasy heading but only a few books that I would concider fantasy. To be honest with you I haven't read any Christian fantasy novels that I care for, but then again I haven't read all that many. There is a definate vacuum in the area of Christian fantasy and Sci Fi writers. My wife and I are working on a classical style Christian fantasy graphic novel. You can see part of it at www.wynoth.com Good luck in your search and let me know if you find a good read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lordbay

Oct 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He is Yahweh said:
I'd never really thought about it like that, I just seem to read fantasy as a sort of an escape (I'm doing a maths degree...hmmm...fun!:sigh: )

I just seem to sit there not really thinking too deeply about whats going on at all, just enjoying the story!
When I was in college, I did use it to get away for awhile. Well, I quess I have got to say that I still do the same now.:p

Upvote 0

Lordbay

Oct 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Telrunya said:
Alot of this depends on your definition of fantasy. www.christianbook.com has alot of things listed under their fantasy heading but only a few books that I would concider fantasy. To be honest with you I haven't read any Christian fantasy novels that I care for, but then again I haven't read all that many. There is a definate vacuum in the area of Christian fantasy and Sci Fi writers. My wife and I are working on a classical style Christian fantasy graphic novel. You can see part of it at www.wynoth.com Good luck in your search and let me know if you find a good read.
Hey, thanks man!! I will look. Kool novels. Love the pix. I like elves stories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums