Scientists seek to understand why animals act strange during a solar eclipse and are asking the public to document their behavior

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We’ve been lucky enough over the past several years to see at least one solar eclipse here in the United States.

With another one – this time a total eclipse for people from Texas all the way to Maine – occuring on April 8, 2024, it’s a good time to talk about all of the strange phenomenons that occur along with it.

Like, for instance, the way animals immediately change their behavior in the lack of sunlight midday.

When the eclipse happened in 2017, scientists were able to make some firsthand and interesting observations.

For example, they saw bees taking a break from their daily routines in three states. Namely, they stopped buzzing at the time of totality. Since bees usually fly more slowly at night, this suggests that they rely on environmental cues like light to know when it’s time to return to the hive.

At the Riverbanks Zoo in South Carolina, scientists observed 17 different species behaving oddly. The gorillas and the elephants, for example, all started heading toward their nighttime enclosure.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now that would be interesting to see for sure.

I know there's the thing that people SAY animals act weird during an eclipse but I'd like to see exactly what happens.
This will be my first eclipse in the woods so it should be very noticeable here.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I know there's the thing that people SAY animals act weird during an eclipse but I'd like to see exactly what happens.

True story:

I heard that one species of animal acts strange during a full moon.

And I've spoken to more than one assistant in an emergency room and other places who confirm it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Here you go:

1712160965000.jpeg

1712161133465.jpeg

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
True story:

I heard that one species of animal acts strange during a full moon.

And I've spoken to more than one assistant in an emergency room and other places who confirm it.

I don't even know what you're getting and I honestly do not care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't even know what you're getting and I honestly do not care.

QV please:

You’ve heard the story before. But is it true? Do emergency room visits really increase when there’s a full moon?

A common belief among doctors, nurses and other medical professionals is that a full moon influences human behavior for the worse, resulting in an increased number of ER visits. Whether it’s mental health, panic attacks or excessive blood loss during surgery, the full moon is often blamed for any number of bad situations. It seems werewolves and eerie moonlight aren’t just for Halloween anymore. Every month when the moon is at its fullest peak, does it cause more people to end up in the ER?

SOURCE

• Informative
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
QV please:

You’ve heard the story before. But is it true? Do emergency room visits really increase when there’s a full moon?

A common belief among doctors, nurses and other medical professionals is that a full moon influences human behavior for the worse, resulting in an increased number of ER visits. Whether it’s mental health, panic attacks or excessive blood loss during surgery, the full moon is often blamed for any number of bad situations. It seems werewolves and eerie moonlight aren’t just for Halloween anymore. Every month when the moon is at its fullest peak, does it cause more people to end up in the ER?

SOURCE

Oh I do not care at all, it's got nothing to do with the OP at all.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status