Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
does the SDA believe in saved by grace or works or a combination of both ?
Saved by grace, although our beliefs on the subject are most likely different than yours. We beleive God's grace allows us to keep the commandments of God.

Upvote 0

retired firefighter

Jul 14, 2023
Vian
✟9,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Saved by grace, although our beliefs on the subject are most likely different than yours. We beleive God's grace allows us to keep the commandments of God.
but you also believe in works , as a former Adventist i/m aware of all the hoops members are encouraged to jump through

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
but you also believe in works , as a former Adventist i/m aware of all the hoops members are encouraged to jump through
As someone who left the church you have most likely never heard of righteousness by faith as the church rejected it in 1888. What it means is that the the power of the indwelling Christ we are enabled to obey God. The concept is found throughout scripture and throughout the SOP.

I'll give you a couple examples from both sources.

Many are inquiring, “How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?” You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Steps to Christ page 48

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us.

As Christ lived the law in humanity, so we may do if we will take hold of the Strong for strength. Desire of Ages page 668

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

1Jn 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jn 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

I hope this helps you understand why the SDA church was so legalistic for all of our lives but things are changing now. The small church I attend is very much on fire with the love of Jesus and it is changing hearts and lives.

Upvote 0