dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟627,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to ask about this but don't want to it to be controversial so I am putting it in this forum I hope thats ok.

What I mean is blessed water, and oil, cross and perhaps prayer- cloth,.

Do you ever make use of these in ministry or personally.

I have been reading about them particularly how they came to be used at times wrongly or without faith and yet how they can be helpful if understood rightly (ie not superstitiously)

But it seems to be all in how one is led and ones prayer focus. ie trusting in God, not a bottle of water. But I don't feel its appropriate or right to bless something by myself alone as it should be the prayers of the church behind its use. I know they can be used symbolically.

Just wondering if anyone has any ministerial experience.

Last edited:

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am a Catholic

I use a knotted rosary to pray on
I wear a brown scapular and I keep a green scapular in my shirt pocket

part of the idea behind sacramentals and other blessed objects is that something is being set aside to be used for something Holy

we see this idea a lot in the Old Testament
with the Ark of the Covenant and the Temple
many things were set aside to be used for special purposes

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟627,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ok, thanks for your help in explaining - its the setting apart for sacramental use you seem to be saying. I'd agree.

I don't mean to be irreverant I almost felt something not totally unlike this with my mum's china teacups some of which only was used on sundays growing up. its unusual how the more mundane while not becoming holy can in a way feel set apart also. but I also had a short lived tendency to try and bless napkins as a kid. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟627,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi :)

I read the article thanks for the link there are some insightful remarks. Its not something I could get into discussing at length on a forum. I use non-denominational at the moment

That which is sacramental I would be inclined in my own thought to distinguish from Incarnational.

Karl Stern is what I have read on the issue in the article, and some Tom Howard, both of whom I like as writers.

I never really heard the word "evangelical" till in my teens, and to be honest if its properly used I don't mind it, but its misused and thats the problem. Except those times when I haven't cared a great deal about anything much - I thought biblical always covered it pretty well :)

Its really more a case of an imbalance of evangelical rationalism than the main stream of historic evangelical christianity.

Thats why I asked about the sacramentals but its not something I see as central, just as a help. They may make things simpler if understood. But it really for each to be convinced by scripture as I see it.

I don't minister in these things. Basically I have returned to a church fellowship after a year or so away from one. I just thought it might be interesting to ask a question, and also in regard to blessing a room. It would be impossible for me to know more than a few fellowships. Some might use them symbolically and sacramentally (set apart) - but is it ok to bless a room one uses in living (not a prayer room) for protection. I live by myself and find myself tempted to depression occasionally.

Please note I have a request on my profile that people only pray for me after asking me. Please honor this. Thanks.

Upvote 0