United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump has been found guilty on those counts

Convictions that are bought and paid for don't count for anything to anyone.

Care to discuss policies?

Immigration?
Economy?
Rule of law?
Even gun control?

It's funny that when I discuss real issues with Democrats we agree about many things, and can come to agreement about many more...

Which is I suppose the only reason you all have to make stuff up.... You can't beat Trump on issues that affect people's day to day lives.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟102,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟102,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How were the convictions "bought and paid for", exactly? I assume you have evidence to base that conclusion on, rather than just assumptions or talking points Trump has given you.

Immigration?
Economy?
Rule of law?
Even gun control?
Not really. If you truly wanted to discuss the rule of law, you're on shaky ground defending Trump anyway.

It's funny that when I discuss real issues with Democrats we agree about many things, and can come to agreement about many more...
I've actually had many discussions with conservatives, and there are a good many points on which we can agree. But when it comes to Trump, I'm afraid I can't find much there to agree on. Trump isn't interested in policy, or any real issues. He's only interested in Trump.

Which is I suppose the only reason you all have to make stuff up.... You can't beat Trump on issues that affect people's day to day lives.
I haven't made a thing up here. The facts of Trump's convictions are public record. You can look them up if you don't believe me.

-- A2SG, and if you can't accept reality for what it is, there ain't much I can do for ya....

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not really

If you ever do decide issues that affect real people is important to you, you can go over here where we were discussing the issues at hand:

The issues are actually important to every day Americans and just so happens to be why we vote in the first place.

I hope you have a nice day.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟102,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you ever do decide issues that affect real people is important to you, you can go over here where we were discussing the issues at hand:

The issues are actually important to every day Americans and just so happens to be why we vote in the first place.

I hope you have a nice day.
So, you're just going to ignore everything else here?

Okay, can't say I blame ya. Defending Trump's no easy matter. You gotta do a lot of moral gymnastics to keep up with him.

-- A2SG, I've participated in that thread already, but I'll check your post again, and if something occurs to me, I might respond....

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, you're just going to ignore everything else here?

Okay, can't say I blame ya. Defending Trump's no easy matter. You gotta do a lot of moral gymnastics to keep up with him.

-- A2SG, I've participated in that thread already, but I'll check your post again, and if something occurs to me, I might respond....
Winging it.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,449,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meaning what? Nobody won the Iowa primary?

Meaning Republicans in 49 other states still have not chosen. The point is, voters have yet to chose and nobody is forcing them to vote for either Donald Trump or Jo Biden.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meaning Republicans in 49 other states still have not chosen. The point is, voters have yet to chose and nobody is forcing them to vote for either Donald Trump or Jo Biden.
It almost seems as if they were being forced though eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was hoping DeSantis would stick around until Ohio's primary.

I predict once Trump gets enough delegates, the Biden administration will have him jailed, so the Republicans will need a backup.
I don't think that's very likely...

A) It delves into the realm of conspiracy

B) The scenario you describe doesn't actually help the democrats and if they did that, they'd have to end up needing a backup as well. Do you think the democrats actually want to have Biden trying to debate DeSantis or Haley in a televised debate?

And in polling, at a national level, Haley performs better against Biden at a national level than Trump does. (because that takes into account moderates and independents)
1706020074517.png

Why would they want to get the easier opponent out of the way to take on the harder one?

To use the old sports metaphor, that's like walking the pitcher to get to the DH.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why would they want to get the easier opponent out of the way to take on the harder one?
You overrate the degree of rationality involved here. A lot of Trump support emerges from other places in the psyche: resentment, indignation, etc.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You overrate the degree of rationality involved here. A lot of Trump support emerges from other places in the psyche: resentment, indignation, etc.
Actually, I wasn't referring to the GOP perspectives on this.

I was specifically replying to the other user who was claiming "The Biden Administration will have Trump jailed if he wins too much in the primary"

From the DNC perspective, keeping Trump in the mix is their best bet for a shot at winning in November.

Saves them a lot of time/effort/money if they're running against a guy who is his own "negative PR machine" in the eyes of independents and moderates.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No one wants to talk to people practically frothing at the mouth with hatred when they can't point to even 1 policy they felt was bad for Americans.

Trump's record in office speaks for itself. The country was far far better off.

That's why they won't talk issues.

Are you talking about people on this board? Because if so, that is blatantly untrue. There are loads of us here who don't like Trump and who are more than happy to talk issues. Not only do we want to talk issues, but we often try to talk issues and, IME, what often winds up happening is that Trump supporters, when pressed on the specifics of issues, often make it clear that they don't understand the issues about which they claim to care. They don't understand what the policies are/were; they don't understand how the policies work and what effects they have in the real world; they don't understand the difference in policy implementation between one administration and the next. I don't know how many times I've seen folks post this list or ones like it and, when asked, have absolutely zero ability to articulate anything beyond those bullet points.

Having a difference of opinion is one thing - you're allowed to like Trump and his policies. But claiming that nobody wants to talk issues is incorrect. If you want to have a discussion about actual issues, there are no shortage of people around here (or many other places IME) willing to engage. If you can't keep up with the discussions for whatever reason, maybe because you don't know how to support your argument with evidence, then that's on you. Not them.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,449,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It almost seems as if they were being forced though eh?

??

I wll say that it's patently unfair that some states have more influence over who the viable candidates are...but that's another topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not. I'm just thinking anyone who doesn't care about the issues isn't worth talking to anymore.

No one wants to talk to people practically frothing at the mouth with hatred when they can't point to even 1 policy they felt was bad for Americans.

Trump's record in office speaks for itself. The country was far far better off.

That's why they won't talk issues.
That wasn't directed at you.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟46,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Immigration?
Economy?
Rule of law?
Even gun control?

I would hazard a guess that you and I would have differing views on all 4 of those. I have plenty so say about those issues and my views on them But I don't want to derail the thread - I don't think it'd be right to turn this thread into an argument over gun control or something.

But I think this is a good point to elaborate that a lot of Democratic voters have major disagreements with the Republican party's positions and policy. Abortion is perhaps the most obvious example - Major figures in the Republican party even went on record saying that focusing on their view on abortion cost them in post-Dobbs v. Jackson elections. I think your statements are glossing over that, while Trump is anathema to Democrats, it's not just Trump here either.

Most Democrats have strongly disagreed with Desantis' policies and his governance of Florida. Nikki Haley would not draw in many Democrats when again, her policies are mostly traditional Republican.

I would caution against trying to pin any and all rejection of the Republican party by Democratic voters solely on Trump - It risks missing the forest for the trees. Trump's obviously not helping, but it's not like I'd be voting Republican if he wasn't' running either - I have fundamental disagreements with the Republican's party platform on a plethora of issues (gun control, immigration, energy policy, healthcare, the list goes on), and I've had those disagreements before Trump even started running in 2015 as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would hazard a guess that you and I would have differing views on all 4 of those. I have plenty so say about those issues and my views on them But I don't want to derail the thread - I don't think it'd be right to turn this thread into an argument over gun control or something.

But I think this is a good point to elaborate that a lot of Democratic voters have major disagreements with the Republican party's positions and policy. Abortion is perhaps the most obvious example - Major figures in the Republican party even went on record saying that focusing on their view on abortion cost them in post-Dobbs v. Jackson elections. I think your statements are glossing over that, while Trump is anathema to Democrats, it's not just Trump here either.

Most Democrats have strongly disagreed with Desantis' policies and his governance of Florida. Nikki Haley would not draw in many Democrats when again, her policies are mostly traditional Republican.

I would caution against trying to pin any and all rejection of the Republican party by Democratic voters solely on Trump - It risks missing the forest for the trees. Trump's obviously not helping, but it's not like I'd be voting Republican if he wasn't' running either - I have fundamental disagreements with the Republican's party platform on a plethora of issues (gun control, immigration, energy policy, healthcare, the list goes on), and I've had those disagreements before Trump even started running in 2015 as well.

Disagreements are fine, we aren't going to absolutely agree about everything. But we stopped talking. As a nation we stopped talking about anything that matters.

And when we talk, we learn how we can come together too. Learn where the compromises lie.

As for issues I had directed to another thread where speaking wouldn't be off topic.

Most people who care about the issues don't speak like the poster I had been talking to... I didn't exactly expect he would suddenly want to talk about them, but had directed outside this thread on the off chance. . Lol.

God bless you.

Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟96,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that's very likely...

A) It delves into the realm of conspiracy

B) The scenario you describe doesn't actually help the democrats and if they did that, they'd have to end up needing a backup as well. Do you think the democrats actually want to have Biden trying to debate DeSantis or Haley in a televised debate?

And in polling, at a national level, Haley performs better against Biden at a national level than Trump does. (because that takes into account moderates and independents)
View attachment 341755

To use the old sports metaphor, that's like walking the pitcher to get to the DH.
I wanted to like Haley, but her ideas about social security, the Internet, and foreign policy, soured my enthusiasm.
DeSantis was my next choice, but he's gone before it really gets started (I vote in Ohio)
I still think there will be some underhanded stuff happen, once Trump is the nominee

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟46,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, this is the main thing.

He's obviously has been doing a poor job at running, since most people haven't heard of him in the first place.

Adding onto his problems are that his campaign has also done a terrible job at getting on ballots, since it's a combination of 1) poor campaigning means they can't get people to sign on to the petitions states require for ballot access and 2) his campaign simply failing to meet the deadlines or file any of the initial paperwork in the first place.

You do have to actually attempt to get on the ballot, it turns out. (And yes, I know New Hampshire has an oddity where Dean is the only candidate on the Ballot for the Dem Primary, due to NH being upset that they wouldn't be first in the new primary schedule - That's an exceptionally weird circumstance, and really does sorta ruin any chance he has to show that he's "better" anyways)

And, finally, most of the people that seem to be cheering on a Dean Phillips run wouldn't be voting for him in the primary or general anyways. I saw this a ton with RFK Jr. Republicans kept saying that he'd be an excellent person they'd vote for, and he clearly would sweep Biden... But if somehow RFK Jr. won? I strongly doubt the main voting bloc of the republican voter base would decide to switch from R to D on their ballots.

And that was with the very-right-wingy positions that RFK Jr. had in the first place - Dean Phillips is pretty darn close to being identical to Biden in terms of positions and policies. It'd be very, very doubtful to me that Republicans are genuinely interested in voting for him if he was in the General - It seems far more likely that they rather the Democrats have a nasty news cycle of Biden having to duke it out with a competitor, hoping that that would damage their chances in the General.

At the very least, it's been clear since 2020 that Trump would run effectively uncontested in the 2024 primary, being effectively the "Incumbent Republican" as it were.
And, well, even with New Hampshire not having Biden as a listed candidate on the ballot, Dean was absolutely trounced by the write-in campaign for Biden:

1706127357764.png

Definitely not a great position to be in for Dean, when he bears substantial losses to a write-in campaign, with a smaller vote share than Haley got in the Republican primary.

Upvote 0