United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

FLGov said:
“Today, Florida is fighting back against the global elite’s plan to force the world to eat meat grown in a petri dish or bugs to achieve their authoritarian goals,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Our administration will continue to focus on investing in our local farmers and ranchers, and we will save our beef.”

It seems not to be for health or safety but to keep meat prices profitable for Florida farmers, aka Big Ag. There is also a bit of the ick factor for banning bug-based "meat". I don't see the point in banning it as it seems a hard sell to the US public, anyway.

Is it just authoritarian showboating or what?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It seems not to be for health or safety but to keep meat prices profitable for Florida farmers, aka Big Ag. There is also a bit of the ick factor for banning bug-based "meat". I don't see the point in banning it as it seems a hard sell to the US public, anyway.

It is authoritarian showboating. Politicians, regardless of sides like to take our freedoms away. Let the customers decide.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

My understanding is that Florida is a Big Beef State, this is a “winner” for him, he thinks.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟14,832.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is authoritarian showboating. Politicians, regardless of sides like to take our freedoms away. Let the customers decide.
Yes but to let the consumer decide they would to understand how lab grown meat is really made, they do not.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes but to let the consumer decide they would to understand how lab grown meat is really made, they do not.
The law doesn’t include an exception for people who understand the process.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The law doesn’t include an exception for people who understand the process.
Agreed. I understand how lab grown meat is made, cos I follow science news. If I lived in Florida, it would be nice if I had a choice to buy lab-grown meat. If GMOs are a thing in America, then allow us to buy the lab grown meat.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. I understand how lab grown meat is made, cos I follow science news. If I lived in Florida, it would be nice if I had a choice to buy lab-grown meat. If GMOs are a thing in America, then allow us to buy the lab grown meat.
GMOs are definitely a thing here, most people are aware of Monsanto, the agrochemical company that gifted us with Roundup and Roundup-ready seeds.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GMOs are definitely a thing here, most people are aware of Monsanto, the agrochemical company that gifted us with Roundup and Roundup-ready seeds.
I am in WI, and GMOs are big here also. Yeah, I do not condone Monsanto. But, if Monsanto could sell harmful products, then why should lab-grown meat be banned? Lab-grown meat does not require poisonous pesticides/herbicides, as the meat is grown in a lab, and uses no crops. A good compromise is that say, 5-10% of profits for lab-grown meat company could be used to subsidize small farmers. So, if a lab company makes $100M/yr on growing meat, then, $10M could be used to help small farmers get off the ground, as a good deed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am in WI, and GMOs are big here also. Yeah, I do not condone Monsanto. But, if Monsanto could sell harmful products, then why should lab-grown meat be banned? Lab-grown meat does not require poisonous pesticides/herbicides, as the meat is grown in a lab, and uses no crops. A good compromise is that say, 5-10% of profits for lab-grown meat company could be used to subsidize small farmers. So, if a lab company makes $100M/yr on growing meat, then, $10M could be used to help small farmers get off the ground, as a good deed.
Why should they have to subsidize competitors?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lab grown stuff sounds scary but I bet it is a lot safer than the man made stuff with all the chemicals in it to make it palatable. I'm curious if they can grow vegetables from Petri dishes because farming practices are bad for the climate. I would think there is more acreage of vegetables than animals but not sure.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why should they have to subsidize competitors?
Well, if we lose our small farmers, which do not have much ability to compete with Big Ag, then we lose our freedom in the USA to buy from small farmers or choose lab-grown meat instead. We will have to wait until the end of the year before the UK releases a study* on lab grown meat and the impact on farmers. It could create a demand for specialty grown meats from small farmers, or create a decrease in sales for farmers. I am not sure if the study would apply to the US, but as the US and UK both have farming industries, the results could be useful for us to pour over.

*Source: Report highlights farmers' concerns about cultured meat

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
More empty anti-woke red herrings. Cultured meat at this point costs thousands of dollars per pound and is unlikely to come down in price any time soon. Also, most bug protein operations are used to feed livestock, not humans.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Lab grown stuff sounds scary but I bet it is a lot safer than the man made stuff with all the chemicals in it to make it palatable. I'm curious if they can grow vegetables from Petri dishes

Mass-produced biomass foods are over a century old. Yeast extract, chlorella, and mycoprotein being the most obvious examples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟216,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lab grown stuff sounds scary but I bet it is a lot safer than the man made stuff with all the chemicals in it to make it palatable. I'm curious if they can grow vegetables from Petri dishes because farming practices are bad for the climate. I would think there is more acreage of vegetables than animals but not sure.
Everything is chemicals, but, that aside, the added stuff not only makes it palatable, but addictive by design. Veggies, plants, have been propagated in Petri dishes for a long, long time, but apart from the dangers of monoculture, grafting and cloning is how we get orchards of consistent, delicious fruit trees.

And yes, plant farming is more compact than meat farming. I'm not opposed to meat-eating, but it is resource intensive.

Upvote 0