Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Rev. Franklin Graham, leader of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan's Purse, bemoaned Wednesday the Boys Scouts' decision to change its name for the first time in its 114-year history to Scouting America.

The organization announced the name change Tuesday, saying in a news release it reflects its "ongoing commitment to welcome every youth and family in America to experience the benefits of scouting." The change will take effect Feb. 8, 2025, the organization's 115th anniversary.

"Talk about losing your way — that's the @BoyScouts," Graham posted on X. "They want to be more 'inclusive,' so they're changing their name. Being woke isn't the need — staying focused & true to what God calls you to do is what's important."

The name change came as the organization celebrated the fifth anniversary of welcoming girls into Cub Scouting and Scouts BSA programs. The organizations said it serves more than 176,000 girls and young women across all programs, including more than 6,000 who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout.

"They should've just stuck with what they were founded to be 114 years ago," Graham wrote. "The Boy Scouts Oath says, 'I will do my best to do my duty to God.

"It's no surprise that thousands of parents are choosing other options like @TrailLifeUSA, which is a great Christ-centered alternative."

Trail Life USA is a faith-based organization that launched in 2014 after the Boy Scouts decided to admit openly gay scouts. The group said on its website its mission is to "guide generations of courageous young men to honor God, lead with integrity, serve others, and experience outdoor adventure." Although Trail Life USA requires leaders to be confessing Christians, it said it welcomes boys of any or no faith tradition.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟141,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Rev. Franklin Graham, leader of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan's Purse, bemoaned Wednesday the Boys Scouts' decision to change its name for the first time in its 114-year history to Scouting America.

The organization announced the name change Tuesday, saying in a news release it reflects its "ongoing commitment to welcome every youth and family in America to experience the benefits of scouting." The change will take effect Feb. 8, 2025, the organization's 115th anniversary.

"Talk about losing your way — that's the @BoyScouts," Graham posted on X. "They want to be more 'inclusive,' so they're changing their name. Being woke isn't the need — staying focused & true to what God calls you to do is what's important."

The name change came as the organization celebrated the fifth anniversary of welcoming girls into Cub Scouting and Scouts BSA programs. The organizations said it serves more than 176,000 girls and young women across all programs, including more than 6,000 who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout.

"They should've just stuck with what they were founded to be 114 years ago," Graham wrote. "The Boy Scouts Oath says, 'I will do my best to do my duty to God.

"It's no surprise that thousands of parents are choosing other options like @TrailLifeUSA, which is a great Christ-centered alternative."

Trail Life USA is a faith-based organization that launched in 2014 after the Boy Scouts decided to admit openly gay scouts. The group said on its website its mission is to "guide generations of courageous young men to honor God, lead with integrity, serve others, and experience outdoor adventure." Although Trail Life USA requires leaders to be confessing Christians, it said it welcomes boys of any or no faith tradition.
A few years ago, in the late 2010s or early 2020s, I was thinking of when our society would change the name of the Boy Scouts to the "Transgender Scouts". Seems that this day has arrived, and is sickening to me. Now, it is okay to be a gay Boy Scout, but it is not okay to have trans folks enter the Boy Scouts, or Girl Scouts, as that could pose a risk of creepy behavior in the bathrooms.

Planet Fitness, which should be demoted in 2024 as Pluto was in 2006 allowed a man to enter the women's changing room. While I do not like the NYP that much (prefer Reuters, AP, Wall Street Journal and The Guardian), this article was well done. There is also a big thread on the forum about the news from March 2024: Planet Fitness assigns staffer to assist transgender client in women’s locker room: ‘If you are uncomfortable, you can use a stall’

We do not want perverts such as this one everywhere (Mr. Kimura, 6 seconds) from a classic anime, Azumanga Daioh.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟141,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is going on with Girl Scouts did their name get changed? In today's politics, I'm surprised there isn't an uproar over the Brownies, it sounds racist.
Well, the Canadians renamed The Brownies to the Embers. Hey, at least Canada can do one thing right, besides being polite. Other than that, Canada has been falling like the Hindenburg (yes, I strongly dislike Canada's prime minister, a guy who wore blackface in the dawn of the 21st century).

Canadian PM is racist (recommended for ages 17+, due to image of blackfaced Justin): New photo of Justin Trudeau in blackface emerges as Canadians head to the polls

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I participated in Scouts as a youth. The Scout Oath should not be interpreted as endorsing a particular creed. There were and are Scouts from a variety of religious backgrounds. Tolerance was a basic value that was taught.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What is going on with Girl Scouts did their name get changed?
Why would they? They are a completely separate organization. More to the point, unlike Scouting America, its membership is still limited to girls and young women. Calling an organization "Boy Scouts" when about a fifth of them aren't boys makes no sense.
In today's politics, I'm surprised there isn't an uproar over the Brownies, it sounds racist.
I think the fact that they actually wear a brown uniform helps defeat that.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would they? They are a completely separate organization. More to the point, unlike Scouting America, its membership is still limited to girls and young women. Calling an organization "Boy Scouts" when about a fifth of them aren't boys makes no sense.
Doesn't transgenderism go both ways?
I think the fact that they actually wear a brown uniform helps defeat that.
Washington Redskins had a uniform too.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Doesn't transgenderism go both ways?
Who's talking about transgenderism? Scouting American allows cis girls and women to be part of Scouting.
Washington Redskins had a uniform too.
Did they paint their skin red? Not to mention of course the fact that Redskin is a widely recognized slur and brownie isn't.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scouting American allows cis girls and women to be part of Scouting.
Girls in the Boy Scouts, why? they have their club.
Did they paint their skin red?
No. Now the fans did. You should watch football, painted faces are a thing when supporting your team.
Not to mention of course the fact that Redskin is a widely recognized slur and brownie isn't.
I don't see the difference it's still a color that represents a people. Black white brown red yellow. Dallas Brownies, do you think that would go well with the Hispanics in Texas? If we want identity politics let's go all the way. I hear White men all the time I think I'll start a movement to do away with color. Being called white is derogatory. Maybe it's the younger Indians who are offended because a friend of mine at work is Apache Mesclero Indian had a conversation about it and he didn't mind. But he is only one of many. Maybe I'm thick-skinned because my nickname as a kid was Chink.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Girls in the Boy Scouts, why? they have their club.
Because Scouts offer different things than the Girl Scouts. The units are still single-gender from what I can find. Not to mention that girls and young women have been part of BSA (at least in Venture Scouts) for decades.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟832,079.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Sadly, Graham seems to show how out of touch with reality he is when he addresses minor issues like this.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟191,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The troops in my hometown have posted pictures on their participation in various events.

It is predominately girls, not boys involved with the previously called, Boy Scouts of America.

The Girl Scout leaders have refused to allow boys in and will retain their organization for girls only.
They have more backbone than the leaders of the Boy Scouts.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟76,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly, Graham seems to show how out of touch with reality he is when he addresses minor issues like this.
Sadly, this is NOT a minor issue. It's part of the decades long effort by progressives to change society towards what something a very significant percentage of Americans don't want.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is going on with Girl Scouts did their name get changed? In today's politics, I'm surprised there isn't an uproar over the Brownies, it sounds racist.
Ahem.

If you watch the NFL, look for the figure painted on the field of the Cleveland Browns.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, this is NOT a minor issue. It's part of the decades long effort by progressives to change society towards what something a very significant percentage of Americans don't want.
Honestly? I think it's marketing to keep the organization going for its own sake. The path it's taken is the path that it's leaders feel are representative of the general public. That perhaps tells us much about the world the organization's leaders live in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟832,079.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a minor issue. It's a name change. The sun will come up tomorrow, just as it has for millions of years. If you think that it's a major issue, you need to look at your life, not the Boy Scouts.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟76,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a minor issue. It's a name change. The sun will come up tomorrow, just as it has for millions of years. If you think that it's a major issue, you need to look at your life, not the Boy Scouts.
It's more than just a name change when girls are allowed to be in the Boy Scouts. If you believe that the progressive left changes in our culture over the last couple of decades are "minor" then we will have to agree to disagree agreeably about this.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟832,079.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's more than just a name change when girls are allowed to be in the Boy Scouts. If you believe that the progressive left changes in our culture over the last couple of decades are "minor" then we will have to agree to disagree agreeably about this.
Girls have been allowed in the BSA for a few years. Very few have complained until this name change. The Conservative media starts complaining and their listeners follow suit like children following the Pied Piper. Strange.

Upvote 0