Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I might have gotten long winded with my thesis lol. For me believing in god is easy. But I hear repeatedly Christians going about the earth and universe being a measly 10k years old at most and that is ridiculous. .

Well, it's the largest and most widespread religion on Earth, and it doesn't monitor every thought and action of its adherents as some other religions do.

That being the case, we all are going to encounter some Christians who have adopted a few offbeat ideas. That doesn't mark the religion as bogus or anti-intellectual.

Upvote 0

Laconia79

Dec 5, 2021
Indianapolis
✟13,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, it's the largest and most widespread religion on Earth, and it doesn't monitor every thought and action of its adherents as some other religions do.

That being the case, we all are going to encounter some Christians who have adopted a few offbeat ideas. That doesn't mark the religion as bogus or anti-intellectual.

Yes its the biggest religion, about 2 billion people claim to be Christians and about 1 million claim to be Muslim there is 7 billion people on the planet, the other 4 billion are sick to death of both religions. That is truth, Christianity is hurting itself fewer people follow religion each year, my old pastor has a gay son and he was forced to chose between his child and his church, big surprise he chose his child. Most people would chose there child I know I would, If one of my children turned out to be gay and come judgement day god told me my kid is going to hell, I would be joining my kid. I look at the bible and and I see a very large portion of it being the views and beliefs of a bronze age people, the world back then was flat, storms were a literal act of god, sickness was evil spirits, the earth was center of the universe, all things we know not to be true lol.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes its the biggest religion, about 2 billion people claim to be Christians and about 1 million claim to be Muslim there is 7 billion people on the planet, the other 4 billion are sick to death of both religions. That is truth, Christianity is hurting itself fewer people follow religion each year, my old pastor has a gay son....
I get your point, but the reason for the decline of Christianity, if that's even true, hasn't been shown to be because of unlikable qualities in some of its adherents.

In the West, many other factors are at work; and in much of the rest of the world, Christianity is gaining instead of losing ground.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The think the big bang and evolution can proven. Two biblical stories, the universe forming about 8000 years ago and the flood. First the creation, Geology, Archeology, Astronomy has debunked than 100%. The easiest way to show that is the the speed light travels, 2.5 million light years that is the distance that the andromeda galaxy is from us. That means what were seeing in the telescopes is from 2.5 million years ago, that is how long the light from that galaxy took to get to us traveling at the speed of light. 2.5 Million vs. 8000 years. The farthest galaxy we seen is roughly 13billion from us. It is math 2+2 will always equal no matter anyone says. As for the flood, you can use the bible get with in 100 years of when the flood happened. No less that 4000 years ago and not more 4400 years ago. Now understand at biblical time of the flood the pyramids existed, the Sumerians who were around 6000 years ago, there ruins and the shells of cities, 5000 years ago china was going strong. Now the bible says the water was 20 ft over the tallest mountain, even then Everest would still probably be the tallest, So the water raises roughly 4/5 miles over the over. Now first off there has not been significant stop in Chinese history in the last 5k years which a flood would have done. Finally if such a flood happened the flood would have flattened everything, the pyramids, there would be no ancient settlements. Now was there flood that is the basis for the flood story yeah there have been plenty of floods in history that to a ancient people would have seemed like the end of the world. I believe in god that is faith, but as for facts nothing in any religious book can be proven.

Nowhere in Scripture does it give the age of the Earth.
Nowhere in scripture does it give the age of Adam before he sinned.
And the Hebrew word for DAY has several different meanings and one is any length / span of time. Places in Scripture even in the English language a day or days could mean a week or weeks, just like a week could mean a year.
What does yom mean - Definition of yom - Word finder
Word Study Yom
Concerning the usage of hours, weeks, months, years, written by a person of Harvard - apparently an unbeliever.
1941JRASC..35..163P Page 4:163

Origin of the universe the big bang singularity is the most accepted theory, there are several others. And according to Stephen Hawkins nothing existed before the big bang singularity.
What Happened Before the Big Bang? Stephen Hawking Says He Knows

Nothing existed before Big Bang: Stephen Hawking
yet unbelievers say God can't create something from nothing
God created the heavens and the Earth God spoke and said let there be light and divided the light from the darkness. (That means it was all dark before he created the light) God said let there be firmaments which he called heaven ( tangible things is a definition of firmament - the heavens with an s, is the universe)
Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 1:1-8 - King James Version

Origin of life on Earth: panspermia & abiogenesis are the accepted theories. Meaning life came from space down to earth and through the primordial soup mix evolution began.
What does Panspermia mean? | New Scientist
abiogenesis | Definition & Theory
But scientists were having a hard time trying to figure out where our RNA from which without life would not exist. Then some said it came from outer space too. Others said it spontaneously rose on Earth. Others said it was already here as stated in RNA World Hypotheses.
First life: The search for the first replicator | New Scientist

What Is The RNA World Hypothesis? • Stated Clearly

https://www.livescience.com/space-sugar-rode-rna-metoers.htmlz
Yet so many say there is no God and he created nothing.
According to the evolutionary line everything _ all living creatures were all fish. A fish had to be many fishes, crawled out of the water. Started living on land an evolving arms, legs, ears, noses, etc - fur, feathers, hair, vocal cords whether it's a bark, meow or the languages of man.
Anatomical clues to human evolution from fish
The Human Edge: Finding Our Inner Fish

My beliefs concerning the flood and I find many ministers are beginning to teach this. When scripture says the whole world it's not referring to the entire Earth. It is referring to where man was. The flood of Noah parts of Europe & Asia was not occupied - almost all of North America and South America was not occupied. New Zealand, Antarctic and Arctic were not occupied.
Governments estimation of the population of the world back to 10,000 BC .......
Historical Estimates of World Population

They found evidence of biblical type flooding

Biblical-Type Floods Are Real, and They're Absolutely Enormous

Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth | National Center for Science Education

A Flood of Myths and Stories

Cultures who say great floods were sent by God.......
Great Flood - New World Encyclopedia

Do the Chinese flood happened in estimated 4000 years ago - it happened evidence now say...........
Ancient Chinese Megaflood May Be Fact, Not Fiction
Can it rain 40 days and 40 nights - yes it can
Where It Rained for 331 Days in a Row in the U.S. | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

You mentioned the Sumerians - Abraham of the Bible was from the city of UR which was a part of ancient Sumer. Did you ever read the Sumerian king list - according to yet they were around 100,000 years or more.
The Sumerian King List - Livius

9 Things You May Not Know About the Ancient Sumerians

Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 11:28-31 - King James Version
Same flood story, as the epic of Gilgamesh - told by divided people and corrected by God through the Hebrew ( Abraham was the first Hebrew) scrolls written by as scholars say, Moses.

Every individual can believe as they choose. I have my beliefs and others have theirs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes its the biggest religion, about 2 billion people claim to be Christians and about 1 million claim to be Muslim there is 7 billion people on the planet, the other 4 billion are sick to death of both religions. That is truth, Christianity is hurting itself fewer people follow religion each year,
Christianity is not an alma mater.
my old pastor has a gay son and he was forced to chose between his child and his church, big surprise he chose his child. Most people would chose there child I know I would, If one of my children turned out to be gay and come judgement day god told me my kid is going to hell, I would be joining my kid.
And not for the reasons you think. . .
I look at the bible and and I see a very large portion of it being the views and beliefs of a bronze age people, the world back then was flat, storms were a literal act of god, sickness was evil spirits, the earth was center of the universe,
all things we know not to be true lol.
Are you sure about that?

Scripture states the earth is a circle.
Who originated the unchanging laws of physics? The causes of all storms were built into the earth's system with its physical laws by its Creator.
Not all sickness was viewed as evil spirits, and you don't know that some of them weren't.
We cannot prove the center of the universe, it is relative to our location.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sheila Davis
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah I want to know as well, I will knock parts of the bible I believe to be myth,
I do not recall Jesus commenting on science.
He did comment on the following accounts, verifying their truth:

Sodom and Gomorrah (Matthew 10:15),
Jonah and the whale (Matthew 12:39-40),
creation account (Matthew 19:4-6),
murder of Abel (Matthew 23:35),
Noah and the flood (Matthew 24:37-39),
burning bush and call of Moses (Mark 12:26),
Elijah and the provision for the widow (Luke 4:25-26),
Elisha and Naaman, the Syrian leper (Luke 4:27),
Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt (Luke 17:31-33).
plague of snakes and brazen serpent (
John 3:14),
manna from heaven in the desert for 40 years (John 6:31, John 6:49),
Abraham still alive (John 8:39-40).

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Christianity is not an alma mater.

And not for the reasons you think. . .
Are you sure about that?

Scripture states the earth is a circle.
Who originated the unchanging laws of physics? The causes of all storms were built into the earth's system with its physical laws by its Creator.
Not all sickness was viewed as evil spirits, and you don't know that some of them weren't.
We cannot prove the center of the universe, it is relative to our location.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Well said!

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes its the biggest religion, about 2 billion people claim to be Christians and about 1 million claim to be Muslim there is 7 billion people on the planet, the other 4 billion are sick to death of both religions. That is truth, Christianity is hurting itself fewer people follow religion each year, my old pastor has a gay son and he was forced to chose between his child and his church, big surprise he chose his child. Most people would chose there child I know I would, If one of my children turned out to be gay and come judgement day god told me my kid is going to hell, I would be joining my kid. I look at the bible and and I see a very large portion of it being the views and beliefs of a bronze age people, the world back then was flat, storms were a literal act of god, sickness was evil spirits, the earth was center of the universe, all things we know not to be true lol.

You are doing the same thing that he did you realize.

You have taken what you have heard eg "Bible teaches world is flat"
Believed it
Spread it.

The Bible does not teach that the world is flat, it is simply that many people back then believed it was flat and they also believed in the Bible. Same way people claim scripture teaches that Mary was a perpetual virgin. No, its a group of people, in the case of Mary the Catholic church that teach that. But the Catholic church or the Baptist church or 'this group over here' isn't the Bible.
There is a distinction between what people of religion claim and what scripture says.
People attribute all manner of things to "The Bible says so" but once you actually dig into the Bible, where is what they claim? Often nowhere to be found.

>>>I look at the bible and and I see the world back then was flat.

Chapter and verse?

Upvote 0

Laconia79

Dec 5, 2021
Indianapolis
✟13,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are doing the same thing that he did you realize.

You have taken what you have heard eg "Bible teaches world is flat"
Believed it
Spread it.

The Bible does not teach that the world is flat, it is simply that many people back then believed it was flat and they also believed in the Bible. Same way people claim scripture teaches that Mary was a perpetual virgin. No, its a group of people, in the case of Mary the Catholic church that teach that. But the Catholic church or the Baptist church or 'this group over here' isn't the Bible.
There is a distinction between what people of religion claim and what scripture says.
People attribute all manner of things to "The Bible says so" but once you actually dig into the Bible, where is what they claim? Often nowhere to be found.

Chapter and verse?

The bible does not teach the earth I never said that, but someone who is falling on the ground spasming and foaming at the mouth, is not possessed by the devil...there having an epileptic seizure. But the book of revelations also says that the stars will crash to earth...WHICH IS IMPOSIBLE. That is the problem the writers of the bible did not have the slightest big of knowledge about Physics, Biology, Geology, or Archeology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible does not teach the earth I never said that, but someone who is falling on the ground spasming and foaming at the mouth, is not possessed by the devil...there having an epileptic seizure. But the book of revelations also says that the stars will crash to earth...WHICH IS IMPOSIBLE.
Oh, that's rich!

Nothing is impossible with the Creator of it all.
That is the problem the writers of the bible did not have the slightest big of knowledge about Physics, Biology, Geology, or Archeology.
Seems like the same can be said of you regarding God.

Upvote 0

Laconia79

Dec 5, 2021
Indianapolis
✟13,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, that's rich!

Nothing is impossible with the Creator of it all.
Seems like the same can be said of you regarding God.

Clair do you have any idea how big a star is, most the lights in the sky at night are planets, but our sun which is average could fit over a millions earths in it. Come on, okay here I am gonna be strait. The writer or writers of revelation, did not know what those lights in the sky at night or even had the slightest idea how big the universe is. And sorry to tell you the New testament was about 70 years after Christ death, that means there is not one book in the old testament that was written during the life time of anyone who knew Christ. You know I think Greeks were only culture to acknowledge there gods and religions was not real. Now I believe something created the universe its to complex to not have a designer. But the writers of the bible were ignorant, there knowledge of Physics, Biology, Geology, or Archeology was non existent. There beliefs have debunked I know Christians and Muslims do not like that. Another fact, every year there are less and less followers of any religion. Because religion does not hold up to investigation.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible does not teach the earth I never said that, but someone who is falling on the ground spasming and foaming at the mouth, is not possessed by the devil...there having an epileptic seizure. But the book of revelations also says that the stars will crash to earth...WHICH IS IMPOSIBLE. That is the problem the writers of the bible did not have the slightest big of knowledge about Physics, Biology, Geology, or Archeology.

Someone foaming at the mouth very well could have a demon, they could also have epilepsy, or a swelling on the brain or have taken drugs.

Just because one thing causes a certain symptom doesn't mean others things cannot also cause that same symptom. Just because you have a sore throat does automatically mean you have covid it could be a rage of things.

We are body, soul and spirit, its how we reflect the 'image of God'
What harms you in one area tends to also harm you in others areas. So a condition can be spiritual, or it can be physical, or it can be mental, or it can be a combination of 2 or 3 of those working together. A person can have deep depression from their body not making enough neurotransmitters, the physical giving rise to the mental.
People ignore the spiritual component at their own peril, all three are intertwined and may be at play in a persons condition.

The writer didn't need to have any knowledge, he just needed to be able to pen down the words God wanted him to pen.
Did the ancient Israelite's understand why God gave them hygiene laws and quarantine laws? No, they didn't have to understand germ theory only obey. Their understanding was of no importance. We are not reading the words of men but of God, God inspired every word.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
All, not some.

"The bible does not teach the earth I never said that"
I quoted you.
You claimed that amongst numerous other things in your original post. Why say them if you don't actually think them.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Religion especially Christianity has always feared science in all of its forms. The reason for this, it proves many biblical belief false. Copernicus and Galileo with telescopes figured out the earth is not the center of the universe and the church fought furiously to prevent that information from being spread.

Biology, Geology, Astronomy, Archeology all have disproved many things in the bible and Christianity fears that and so does Islam. The earth is not flat nor the center of the universe, Natural Disasters is nature acting up not punishment from god. Diseases are not caused by evil spirits but by germs. Geology, Archeology, and Astronomy have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the earth and universe are much older than religion likes to admit.
The bible is a book written over 2,000 yrs. ago by fisherman and goat herders, has been translated into and out of 100s of languages, by human beings, depending on the language one word can mean several thing. Evolution, Astronomy, Biology, Geology, Archeology, science in all its forms threatens Christians more than most. It does not threaten me, it proves the existence of god to me. If you look at how complex the universe is you can see a designer behind it. I believe in Christ, I also know that the New Testament has been edited books have been removed. I believe the bible to be a book designed to show us how to have a relationship with god, I think much of it that many consider fact is just parable and myth.
You’ve got most of it wrong.

The Bible does not say the earth is flat, nor that the earth is the center of the solar system, so the Catholic Church being completely wrong on geocentrism does not disprove the Bible in any way.

Genesis did not come from goat herders imagination - Moses spent forty days on the mountain with God, and wrote down what God told him - plus Jesus taught the Old Testament scriptures are the authoritative word of God.

Genesis had it right when it stated that the universe had a sudden beginning in a moment in time, for thousands of years before the Big Bang theory became the accepted cosmological model, and confirmed the Genesis account - including when Einstein disliked the idea of the sudden beginning and preferred the steady state model, and fudged his theory with a cosmological constant to make the equations show a static, non expanding universe.
Einstein was wrong and Genesis was right.

And the criticism of Genesis saying that light was created before the sun - that also is correct because the BB theory has an energy release at the singularity event, that eventually cooled and became particles such as photons, neutrons and protons that became hydrogen, which then coalesced into stars such as our sun.

Light is comprised of photons, so light indeed was created before the sun, per Genesis.

And thousands of years before astronomy and telescopes, the Bible correctly said that the earth hangs upon nothing, at a time when mythology had the earth resting on the shoulder of Atlas or on an elephants back.

As far as the age of the earth and universe, large numbers of Christians are old age creationists, and see a gap of billions of years between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2, so the Bible isn’t disproved by a 4.4 BYO earth or 14 BYO universe.

As far as religion fearing science, apparently you are completely unaware that science originated with Christians and God believing scientists, and ever ground breaking paradigm of science came from them.

They gave us the modern scientific method, physics, genetics, magnetism and electricity, astronomy, quantum theory, and general and special relativity, and more.

Francis Bacon invented the modern scientific method:

Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1627)

Bacon was a philosopher who is known for establishing the scientific method of inquiry based on experimentation and inductive reasoning. In De Interpretatione Naturae Prooemium, Bacon established his goals as being the discovery of truth, service to his country, and service to the church. Although his work was based upon experimentation and reasoning, he rejected atheism as being the result of insufficient depth of philosophy, stating, "It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity." (Of Atheism)

Isaac Newton gave us physics and calculus:

Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

In optics, mechanics, and mathematics, Newton was a figure of undisputed genius and innovation. In all his science (including chemistry) he saw mathematics and numbers as central. What is less well known is that he was devoutly religious and saw numbers as involved in understanding God's plan for history from the Bible. He did a considerable work on biblical numerology, and, though aspects of his beliefs were not orthodox, he thought theology was very important. In his system of physics, God was essential to the nature and absoluteness of space. In Principia he stated, "The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

Mendel is the father of genetics:

Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)

Mendel was the first to lay the mathematical foundations of genetics, in what came to be called "Mendelianism". He began his research in 1856 (three years before Darwin published his Origin of Species) in the garden of the Monastery in which he was a monk. Mendel was elected Abbot of his Monastery in 1868. His work remained comparatively unknown until the turn of the century, when a new generation of botanists began finding similar results and "rediscovered" him (though their ideas were not identical to his). An interesting point is that the 1860's was notable for formation of the X-Club, which was dedicated to lessening religious influences and propagating an image of "conflict" between science and religion. One sympathizer was Darwin's cousin Francis Galton, whose scientific interest was in genetics (a proponent of eugenics - selective breeding among humans to "improve" the stock). He was writing how the "priestly mind" was not conducive to science while, at around the same time, an Austrian monk was making the breakthrough in genetics. The rediscovery of the work of Mendel came too late to affect Galton's contribution.

William Thompson Kelvin helped establish modern physics:

William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)

Kelvin was foremost among the small group of British scientists who helped to lay the foundations of modern physics. His work covered many areas of physics, and he was said to have more letters after his name than anyone else in the Commonwealth, since he received numerous honorary degrees from European Universities, which recognized the value of his work. He was a very committed Christian, who was certainly more religious than the average for his era. Interestingly, his fellow physicists George Gabriel Stokes (1819-1903) and James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) were also men of deep Christian commitment, in an era when many were nominal, apathetic, or anti-Christian. The Encyclopedia Britannica says "Maxwell is regarded by most modern physicists as the scientist of the 19th century who had the greatest influence on 20th century physics; he is ranked with Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein for the fundamental nature of his contributions."

Max Planck gave us quantum physics:

Max Planck (1858-1947)

Planck made many contributions to physics, but is best known for quantum theory, which revolutionized our understanding of the atomic and sub-atomic worlds. In his 1937 lecture "Religion and Naturwissenschaft," Planck expressed the view that God is everywhere present, and held that "the holiness of the unintelligible Godhead is conveyed by the holiness of symbols." Atheists, he thought, attach too much importance to what are merely symbols. Planck was a churchwarden from 1920 until his death, and believed in an almighty, all-knowing, beneficent God (though not necessarily a personal one). Both science and religion wage a "tireless battle against skepticism and dogmatism, against unbelief and superstition" with the goal "toward God”

Michael Faraday is famous for his work with electricity and magnetism:

Michael Faraday (1791-1867)

Michael Faraday was the son of a blacksmith who became one of the greatest scientists of the 19th century. His work on electricity and magnetism not only revolutionized physics, but led to much of our lifestyles today, which depends on them (including computers and telephone lines and, so, web sites). Faraday was a devoutly Christian

Albert Einstein gave us the famous formula: Energy = Mass times the speed of light, squared, plus general and special relativity:

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Einstein is probably the best known and most highly revered scientist of the twentieth century, and is associated with major revolutions in our thinking about time, gravity, and the conversion of matter to energy (E=mc2). Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

And believers in God gave us astronomy:

Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)

Copernicus was the Polish astronomer who put forward the first mathematically based system of planets going around the sun. He attended various European universities, and became a Canon in the Catholic church in 1497. His new system was actually first presented in the Vatican gardens in 1533 before Pope Clement VII who approved, and urged Copernicus to publish it around this time. Copernicus was never under any threat of religious persecution - and was urged to publish both by Catholic Bishop Guise, Cardinal Schonberg, and the Protestant Professor George Rheticus. Copernicus referred sometimes to God in his works, and did not see his system as in conflict with the Bible.

Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)

Kepler was a brilliant mathematician and astronomer. He did early work on light, and established the laws of planetary motion about the sun. He also came close to reaching the Newtonian concept of universal gravity - well before Newton was born! His introduction of the idea of force in astronomy changed it radically in a modern direction. Kepler was an extremely sincere and pious Lutheran, whose works on astronomy contain writings about how space and the heavenly bodies represent the Trinity. Kepler suffered no persecution for his open avowal of the sun-centered system, and, indeed, was allowed as a Protestant to stay in Catholic Graz as a Professor (1595-1600) when other Protestants had been expelled!

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Galileo is often remembered for his conflict with the Roman Catholic Church. His controversial work on the solar system was published in 1633. It had no proofs of a sun-centered system (Galileo's telescope discoveries did not indicate a moving earth) and his one "proof" based upon the tides was invalid. It ignored the correct elliptical orbits of planets published twenty five years earlier by Kepler. Since his work finished by putting the Pope's favorite argument in the mouth of the simpleton in the dialogue, the Pope (an old friend of Galileo's) was very offended. After the "trial" and being forbidden to teach the sun-centered system, Galileo did his most useful theoretical work, which was on dynamics. Galileo expressly said that the Bible cannot err, and saw his system as an alternate interpretation of the biblical texts.

I’d say you might want to completely rethink your assessment of science and Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I might have gotten long winded with my thesis lol. For me believing in god is easy. But I hear repeatedly Christians going about the earth and universe being a measly 10k years old at most and that is ridiculous. I know the bible we read now was created 300-400 BC, I know it was edited and I know it has been translated more times than we can count. I can also figure that the Jewish people had parables and myths and they ended up in the bible just like every other culture. I think the bible is a good book on how to have a relationship with Christ and I believe in much of the new testament, the old testament not so much.
That’s completely unworkable.

The Old Testament is full of types, shadows, and symbols revealed in the New Testament, and Jesus taught the authority and accuracy of all the scriptures, and even prophesied that the earth will be just as it was at the time of Noah’s flood, and made Jonah in the fish the sign of His death and resurrection after three days.

The Old Testament is also full of prophecies that are fulfilled in the New Testament.

If the Old Testament isn’t accurate, inspired and trustworthy, then the NT isn’t either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laconia79

Dec 5, 2021
Indianapolis
✟13,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That’s completely unworkable.

The Old Testament is full of types, shadows, and symbols revealed in the New Testament, and Jesus taught the authority and accuracy of all the scriptures, and even prophesied that the earth will be just as it was at the time of Noah’s flood, and made Jonah in the fish the sign of His death and resurrection after three days.

The Old Testament is also full of prophecies that are fulfilled in the New Testament.

If the Old Testament isn’t accurate, inspired and trustworthy, then the NT isn’t either.

Answer this, every major world power in the last 6000 years from China, Egypt, Sumeria, Persia, Greece, Rome, Now according to the bible King Solomon was the most rich, wise, and powerful king of his time. And yet there is not legitimate historical evidence of his existence. So at one time according to the bible Israel was the most powerful nation in the world yet there is know evidence of it. Why is that? The Sumerians are the first recorded world power about 6000 years ago and we have more archeological evidence them than King Solomon and his empire which existed 3000 years ago. The new testament was written 70 years after Christ's death, it was not written in the life time of anyone who knew Christ. Here I am gonna be brutally honest. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO HISTORICAL EVIDENCE THAT ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS FACT! The belief in god is a matter of faith...NOT FACT!

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Answer this, every major world power in the last 6000 years from China, Egypt, Sumeria, Persia, Greece, Rome, Now according to the bible King Solomon was the most rich, wise, and powerful king of his time. And yet there is not legitimate historical evidence of his existence. So at one time according to the bible Israel was the most powerful nation in the world yet there is know evidence of it. Why is that? The Sumerians are the first recorded world power about 6000 years ago and we have more archeological evidence them than King Solomon and his empire which existed 3000 years ago. The new testament was written 70 years after Christ's death, it was not written in the life time of anyone who knew Christ. Here I am gonna be brutally honest. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO HISTORICAL EVIDENCE THAT ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS FACT! The belief in god is a matter of faith...NOT FACT!
Sol9mons temple was destroyed in 70 AD, and it’s ruins are right there in Israel to see.

Archaeology has verified the Bible hundreds of times over.

As the great archaeologist William F. Albright wrote, "There can be no doubt that archaeology has confirmed the substantial historicity of Old Testament tradition" (Archaeology and the Religions of Israel, 1969, p. 169).

He also stated: "The excessive skepticism shown toward the Bible by important historical schools of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries has been progressively discredited. Discovery after discovery has established the accuracy of innumerable details, and has brought increased recognition to the value of the Bible as a source of history" (The Archaeology of Palestine, 1960, pp. 127-128).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟120,015.00
Faith
Baptist
I’d say you might want to completely rethink your assessment of science and Christianity.
I would say that you might want to completely rethink your interpretation of the Bible in the light of the truths that God has chosen to reveal to us through science.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟120,015.00
Faith
Baptist
The Bible does not say the earth is flat

The Hebrew Masoretic text of Genesis 1:6-8 expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

1:6 ויאמר אלהים יהי רקיע בתוך המים ויהי מבדיל בין מים למים׃
1:7 ויעשׂ אלהים את־הרקיע ויבדל בין המים אשׁר מתחת לרקיע ובין המים אשׁר מעל לרקיע ויהי־כן׃
1:8 ויקרא אלהים לרקיע שׁמים ויהי־ערב ויהי־בקר יום שׁני׃

The Septuagint also expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

Gen. 1:6. Καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός Γενηθήτω στερέωμα ἐν μέσῳ τοῦ ὕδατος καὶ ἔστω διαχωρίζον ἀνὰ μέσον ὕδατος καὶ ὕδατος. καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως.
Gen. 1:7. καὶ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ στερέωμα, καὶ διεχώρισεν ὁ θεὸς ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ ὕδατος, ὃ ἦν ὑποκάτω τοῦ στερεώματος, καὶ ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ ὕδατος τοῦ ἐπάνω τοῦ στερεώματος.
Gen. 1:8. καὶ ἐκάλεσεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ στερέωμα οὐρανόν. καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς ὅτι καλόν. καὶ ἐγένετο ἑσπέρα καὶ ἐγένετο πρωί, ἡμέρα δευτέρα.

The Latin Vulgate also expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

Gen. 1:6. dixit quoque Deus fiat firmamentum in medio aquarum et dividat aquas ab aquis
Gen. 1:7. et fecit Deus firmamentum divisitque aquas quae erant sub firmamento ab his quae erant super firmamentum et factum est ita
Gen. 1:8. vocavitque Deus firmamentum caelum et factum est vespere et mane dies secundus

The Wycliffe Bible also expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

Gen. 1:6. And God seide, The firmament be maad in the myddis of watris, and departe watrisfro watris.
Gen. 1:7. And God made the firmament, and departide the watristhat weren vndurthe firmament fro these watris that weren on the firmament; and it was don so.Gen. 1:8. And God clepide the firmament, heuene. And the euentid and morwetid was maad, the secounde dai.

The most precisely accurate Roman Catholic translation in English (NAB) also expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

Gen. 1:6. Then God said, "Let there be a dome in the middle of the waters, to separate one body of water from the other." And so it happened:
Gen. 1:7. God made the dome, and it separated the water above the dome from the water below it.
Gen. 1:8. God called the dome "the sky." Evening came, and morning followed-the second day.

The most precisely accurate Protestant translation in English (NRSV) also expressly describes the creation of a flat earth covered with a dome that “separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.”

Gen. 1:6. And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
Gen. 1:7. So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
Gen. 1:8. God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.

The KJV also correctly translates the Hebrew word רָקִיעַ (râqı̂ya‛) as “firmament”, but most modern readers of the KJV are unaware of the meaning of the word and do not realize that it expresses the concept of the strong, solid dome that supported the water above the dome.

Genesis did not come from goat herders imagination - Moses spent forty days on the mountain with God, and wrote down what God told him

The evidence from the Bible itself overwhelmingly contradicts this imaginative notion!

For a summary of this evidence, please see the 648-page commentary on the Hebrew text of Genesis 1-11 by Claus Westermann (Claus Westermann’s commentary on Genesis 1 – 11 is published by Fortress Press and is one of three volumes on Genesis (chapters 1-11; 12-36; 37-50) by Westermann in the “Continental Commentary” series.)

- plus Jesus taught the Old Testament scriptures are the authoritative word of God.

No, He did not!

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that you might want to completely rethink your interpretation of the Bible in the light of the truths that God has chosen to reveal to us through science.
Whenever science contradicts the Bible, science is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0