"Reformed" "Reform" in name of church always mean the Pastor is Calvinistic in doctrine?

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,726.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Quite true. IMO this is, by far, the most prudent approach.
Thank you sir; much appreciated!

That does not mean that some of our partner Churches and even local parishes don't occasionally slip down a rabbit hole. One of LCC's partner Churches is possibly heading down one with no exit; one of their Pastors as recently accepted a call to a LCC Parish as a result of the looming uncertainty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,062.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thank you sir; much appreciated!

That does not mean that some of our partner Churches and even local parishes don't occasionally slip down a rabbit hole. One of LCC's partner Churches is possibly heading down one with no exit; one of their Pastors as recently accepted a call to a LCC Parish as a result of the looming uncertainty.

You are welcome. Are you referring to the situation in Japan?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Essentially, yes. I think most who identify as Reformed are similar to Presbyterians in theology. Very few people, from my experience, identify as “Calvinist.” You probably will never find a “First Calvinist Church” anywhere, but you will find plenty of St. Stephen’s Reformed Church, or Second Presbyterian Church. Etc

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟75,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd reckon it depends on how conservative said Reformed church is. You'd probably be hard pressed to find an Arminian pastor in a PCA or Reformed Baptist church, but they're probably not that uncommon in the PCUSA or the UCC.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,062.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'd reckon it depends on how conservative said Reformed church is. You'd probably be hard pressed to find an Arminian pastor in a PCA or Reformed Baptist church, but they're probably not that uncommon in the PCUSA or the UCC.
Arminianism is actually extremely rare in the PCUSA or the UCC. They tend to embrace universalism to a much greater extent. The reason that Arminianism never gained traction in either liberal denomination is that Arminians do believe in a literal hell and eternal punishment, which run counter to liberal theology.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟75,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Arminianism is actually extremely rare in the PCUSA or the UCC. They tend to embrace universalism to a much greater extent. The reason that Arminianism never gained traction in either liberal denomination is that Arminians do believe in a literal hell and eternal punishment, which run counter to liberal theology.

Yeah, somehow Calvinists seem to fall into universalism. I think the Unitarian Universalists are descended from Puritans, iirc, and Primitive Baptist Universalists are a thing.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,062.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah, somehow Calvinists seem to fall into universalism. I think the Unitarian Universalists are descended from Puritans, iirc, and Primitive Baptist Universalists are a thing.
Unitarianism and universalism both developed in New England, but did not merge until later in the last century. It may seem odd to imagine that most Unitarians were not universalists and most Universalists were trinitarian.

Upvote 0