Rat, Mouse, Snitch, Tattle-tale, narc, etc.

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟30,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Screenshot 2024-04-06 1.24.03 PM.png
Some Christians say we should tell if we see something wrong or evil going on. Others say no. there is the Scripture "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" so that isn't against being a witness; it just means be truthful if you do witness.

Yet there are many Proverbs that suggest not telling.

Proverbs 11:13 "A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter."

Proverbs 16:27-28 "An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire. A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."

Proverbs 17:9 "He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends."

Proverbs 20:19 "He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips"

I think there's also the circumstances involved. The guy or girl who runs to the boss telling on every little thing someone does wrong (or not) is certainly a meddler, and a snitch. That would be more like a mouse.
Now in criminal thinking anyone who tells on someones crime is a rat, or a narc, and in some cases can have a contract put out on them if they tell. Yet I think Scripture tells us if we see someone commit a grave sin like rape or murder, we should say something. Other times using wisdom is necessary because if someone commits a capitol offense and knows you saw it, you have to do some serious praying on what to do, because telling could put your entire family in danger.

Scripture also warns us not to keep company with ungodly or evil people. That's a good rule to live by, but live in the inner city as I did back in the 80s and 90s and sometimes you see stuff you don't want to see and you have to keep on walking or driving on as if you saw nothing. Is that being the Priest and the Levite passing by on the other side? I think not. You can always report it secretly, but to intervene, especially with wife and kids in the car is placing yourself and family in danger.

Personally I think there's a time for revealing the truth, and a time for not, and wisdom plays a massive role in your decision to or not. And with brothers & sisters we are admonished to bring the issue to them first, then with a couple others, then to the church. (Matthew 18:15-17, "in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.") Sounds like you shouldn't run and tell Pastor before confronting the person.

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-04-06 1.40.50 PM.png

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 345324 Some Christians say we should tell if we see something wrong or evil going on. Others say no. there is the Scripture "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" so that isn't against being a witness; it just means be truthful if you do witness.

Proverbs 11:13 "A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter."

Proverbs 16:27-28 "An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire. A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."

Proverbs 17:9 "He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends."

Proverbs 20:19 "He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips"

I think there's also the circumstances involved. The guy or girl who runs to the boss telling on every little thing someone does wrong (or not) is certainly a meddler, and a snitch. That would be more like a mouse.
Now in criminal thinking anyone who tells on someones crime is a rat, or a narc, and in some cases can have a contract put out on them if they tell. Yet I think Scripture tells us if we see someone commit a grave sin like rape or murder, we should say something. Other times using wisdom is necessary because if someone commits a capitol offense and knows you saw it, you have to do some serious praying on what to do, because telling could put your entire family in danger.

Scripture also warns us not to keep company with ungodly or evil people. That's a good rule to live by, but live in the inner city as I did back in the 80s and 90s and sometimes you see stuff you don't want to see and you have to keep on walking or driving on as if you saw nothing. Is that being the Priest and the Levite passing by on the other side? I think not. You can always report it secretly, but to intervene, especially with wife and kids in the car is placing yourself and family in danger.

Personally I think there's a time for revealing the truth, and a time for not, and wisdom plays a massive role in your decision to or not. And with brothers & sisters we are admonished to bring the issue to them first, then with a couple others, then to the church. (Matthew 18:15-17, "in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.") Sounds like you shouldn't run and tell Pastor before confronting the person.

Thoughts?

View attachment 345325
I will give two perspectives on ratting. One general for all Christians, and one Catholic.

General Christian Perspective:
It's important to consider the context and intent behind sharing information in any situation, as you've rightly pointed out. The Bible does indeed contain both commands to speak truthfully and admonitions against gossip or bearing false witness.

In the case of grave sins like rape or murder, Scripture does seem to call for action, as seen in Matthew 18:15-17. However, there are certainly situations where wisdom and discernment are necessary to determine the best course of action. This might involve weighing the potential consequences of speaking out against the importance of addressing the issue, as well as considering the motivations and maturity of those involved.

Regarding your points about meddling and the potential danger to oneself and family, these are valid concerns that should be taken seriously. In such cases, it may be wise to report any wrongdoing anonymously or through proper channels to minimize personal risk.

Your observation about the importance of confronting the person directly before involving others is also worth noting, as it aligns with the principles outlined in Matthew 18:15-17. Overall, it seems that a balanced approach, guided by wisdom and discernment, is necessary when deciding whether to speak out or remain silent.

Catholic Perspective:
In the Catholic perspective, there is a balance between the call to truth and the need for discretion and pastoral sensitivity. The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes both the importance of moral integrity, which includes speaking truthfully, as well as the importance of charity and respect for the dignity of others.

The Catechism teaches that "truth or integrity of speech is a moral duty," and that "communication bears a social meaning: it implies a respect for persons, for their sensibilities and their consciences" (CCC 2483-2484). At the same time, it recognizes that "it is not necessary to bare all the secrets of one's neighbor; justice and respect for privacy require him to be master of what should remain hidden" (CCC 2485).

When it comes to reporting wrongdoing, the Catholic Church encourages a thoughtful and pastoral approach. The first step is always to address the issue directly with the person involved, as you mentioned from Matthew 18:15-17. If the issue cannot be resolved through direct communication or if further action is necessary, then reporting it to appropriate authorities, such as church leaders or civil authorities, may be required.

In all cases, the priority is to protect the well-being and dignity of those involved and to promote the common good. The Catholic Church also emphasizes the importance of maintaining confidentiality whenever possible, especially when dealing with sensitive information or personal matters (CCC 2495).

Lastly, the Catholic perspective on this issue emphasizes the need for discernment and pastoral sensitivity in determining when and how to speak out or remain silent. This approach recognizes that each situation is unique and requires a careful consideration of the facts, the intentions of those involved, and the potential consequences of different actions.

Here are the Catechisms mentioned in my post: The Catechism of the Catholic Church in Question and Answer Form

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,537.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 345324 Some Christians say we should tell if we see something wrong or evil going on. Others say no. there is the Scripture "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" so that isn't against being a witness; it just means be truthful if you do witness.

Thoughts?

View attachment 345325
It depends on the nature of what is going on.

The act itself, relaying information to a third party, is neither inherently good nor inherently evil.

This means that our primary guide is prudential charity. Love means we choose the good of others. So first we ask ourselves, what is best for those involved, to report or not to report?

If the deed is causing serious harm to others, clearly you have to report it because this is good for all involved. Those being harmed are protected and the harm is stopped (hopefully) and it is also good for the one who was doing harm, because when you do evil to others, you do even greater evil to yourself. By stopping him, you are helping him.

If the deed is not doing serious harm to anyone, then you should probably mind your own business. (example, smoking, taking a pen from the office, watching media that is questionable)

Upvote 0