Ramifications of Cloning

elephanticity

This appears beneath your name.
Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,527.00
The big problem a lot of creationists have with evolution is the idea that life comes from non-life. If Adam was created, and Eve cloned off of him (she was created from his flesh, his DNA, in a non-sexual reproduction...an extension of his body made individual and separate), did she have a soul? Did she get a part of a soul from Adam, or when she became a discrete life, did she get her own?

When do modern children get souls? A piece of you matches a piece of your (married and consensual, of course) partner, and a completely new life begins.

If a piece of you is cut off, and grown in a vat to a completely new life, is it inconceiveable that the omniscient God foresaw this, and has a mechanism in place to put souls in new living beings?

Personally, i believe in reincarnation. If a soul is looking for a home from the between space, i have no idea if the flesh in test tubes looks any more or less enticing than the ones in wombs.

But I have to believe that whatever the mechanism, anything meeting the qualifications for a New Complete Life has an equal chance for a soul as any other newcomer to the planet.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by elephanticity

But I have to believe that whatever the mechanism, anything meeting the qualifications for a New Complete Life has an equal chance for a soul as any other newcomer to the planet.

Seconded!

Upvote 0

elephanticity

This appears beneath your name.
Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,527.00
Originally posted by fablesarereal
I don't think I'd like to have a clone. He'd steal half my women(if not all, I don't know how that would work[we would look alike so maybe we could work out a schedule and compare notes so we wouldn't get confused.)
If i had perfect cloning technology, my shopping list would include:

*A thermos full of bone marrow, to make an endless uncontaminated blood supply that matches mine in all respects. Probably could be kept like sourdough starter, with a trickle production until needed.

*A few packs of brain tissue preserved against irrevocable brain damage. (It'd be really cool if the knowledge could be stored, but that'd be different technology). IN fact, since nerve tissued doesn't regenerate, maybe a few reels of nerves, and more brain tissue against the myriad degenerative diseases that can take a person apart from the inside.

*Reproductive samples indexed for good/bad characteristics, with matching codes from my wife's samples, for the best chance of offspring. Nothing superhuman or non-human for us, just better odds on the children possible from the genes available.

*about a body's worth of skin tissue to make burn ward recoveries better.

*a few teeth in a plug-and-play gel, because if i could replace cavities like switching cd's in the player i'd go to the dentist more often, without threats.

*I'd have long since replaced my amputated finger with one that can reach the 'i' key without strain.

And i don't suffer from any of the many, many, MANY life-destroying diseases that affect humans. THis is just off the top of the head stuff i'd like the tech to have available...Of course, we'd probably need a bigger freezer....:D

As to a full-body clone? Why? For the brother i always wanted? Please. My sister owes me too much as it is. I'd be more likely to clone my kids. "Well, that one came out okay, lets have a full set of him!"

Upvote 0