Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am reaching out to Jewish believers because the gentile church is divided on the subject of John 20:17.
Did Jesus accend to heaven directly following his conversation with Mary, or was He simply referring to 40 days later.
I know there are a number of members of Messianic Judaism who God has given greater understanding of such matters that He has revealed in ALL of Scripture.
Thank you.
Grafted in
Bill

Reactions: Paul4JC

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟115,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not a single responce.
Have i broken any rules posting this question here?
As a gentile, should I have started this thread elsewhere?

Nah, you do not appear to have broken any rules. The most generalized consensus is probably that the passage you have asked about concerns the wave sheaf, (omer), that is, Meshiah as the wave offering appearing before the Father, and thus the reason he says he has not yet ascended before the Father, (as the wave omer of the firstfruits, (resurrection)).

Good choice of timing for your question. :)

Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, then, it is your belief that He did assend on the day of His resurrection?
I am searching for Scriptural proof because few believers I know believe He did...that when speaking to Mary at the empty tomb, he was referring to 40 days later.
Also, as it is written, many graves of OT saints were opened at His death.
Could these saints have been His wave offering to The Father?

I must say that I have learned more from Jewish believers in Christ than gentiles.
I very much appreciate your responce.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another question, if you don't mind.
When Mary and others looked into the empty tomb they saw 2 angels, one at the foot of where he was laid and one at the head.
This brings to my mind an image of the Ark.
And since His burial clothes were left behind, could it be those angels brought to Him the robe from the heavenly Tabernacle?
Surely He could not have wore a robe made with hands into Heaven, could he?
Also, according to Hebrews 9:11-12, do you believe He entered the Holy of Holys that same day and apply His blood to the Mercy seat?
I have a billion question about OT Scripture that most Christians I know have no interest in.
Bill

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟115,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, then, it is your belief that He did assend on the day of His resurrection?
I am searching for Scriptural proof because few believers I know believe He did...that when speaking to Mary at the empty tomb, he was referring to 40 days later.
Also, as it is written, many graves of OT saints were opened at His death.
Could these saints have been His wave offering to The Father?

I must say that I have learned more from Jewish believers in Christ than gentiles.
I very much appreciate your responce.

I will just quote the KJV here:

John 20:16-17 KJV
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Matthew 28:8-9 KJV
8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Be perfect with the scripture: these are not the same account in regards to timing. :D

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟115,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another question, if you don't mind.
When Mary and others looked into the empty tomb they saw 2 angels, one at the foot of where he was laid and one at the head.
This brings to my mind an image of the Ark.
And since His burial clothes were left behind, could it be those angels brought to Him the robe from the heavenly Tabernacle?
Surely He could not have wore a robe made with hands into Heaven, could he?
Also, according to Hebrews 9:11-12, do you believe He entered the Holy of Holys that same day and apply His blood to the Mercy seat?
I have a billion question about OT Scripture that most Christians I know have no interest in.
Bill

Interesting concept: it makes me wonder if you are an SDA? Not that it matters either way but if you are hinting at the purported discovery of the Ark of the Covenant by Ron Wyatt, I think the record he left concerning those events is quite compelling, except for one thing, that is, the supposed vision he had which some seem to have latched onto apparently because of their beliefs about the four Angels in the Apocalypse. From what I understand there was a dispute for a while over the rights to his writings and work, and it appears to have been during that time that the purported four Angels vision seems to have surfaced, (after he had already died). I would seriously question whether he ever even claimed to have the same vision which is now told concerning the four Angels.

Aside from that there is evidence in the scripture that he was indeed digging in the correct place, the mount called Olivet, not the greater mount to the east of Yerushalem but the split Olivet to the north, on mount Moriah, the highest portion of the mount on which the Temple also stood. Moriah had and still has essentially three levels: Ophel, (the city of David), then the Temple mount in the midst, (the threshing floor of Ornan), and then the highest part to the north of the city.

The pool by the sheep gate in John 5:2 was on the way northward to the higher mount Moriah, and this direction northward is called the ascent to the mount of Olives in the scripture, spoken of when king David fled from Absalom, (2Sam 15:30). The pool is called Beth-Zayit, which means House of Olives, and in the western text types the Greek word in the John 5 passage is Beth-Zatha, (βηθζαθα), transliterated into Greek from either Aramaic or Hebrew Beth-Zayit/Beit-Zayit.

The mountain was split, (Zec 14), just as the Master says it would be in the Gospel accounts, (for example see Mat 21:1-21, (especially Mat 21:21, which is spoken as they are right there at the mount of Olives, Mat 21:1, and is a reference back to Mat 17:20 which contains no mention of anything being cast into the sea but simply moved)). This is the mount Olivet where the Master often retired in the evenings with his talmidim, and therefore also where he was most likely arrested, and the place where he was arrested, according to Roman law at the time, is the place where he was to be put to death.

This is the same exact place where Ron Wyatt claimed to have found the Ark, and his information is a perfect match, even concerning the grotto, which is the grotto of Yirmeyah the Prophet, and very possibly the location where the Prophet would have hidden the Ark of the Covenant.

bezetha.jpg

moriah-olivet2.jpg

In Gan Gath-Shemeni, (a gan is a garden, a gath is a winepress, and shemen is olive oil), better known as the Garden of Gethsemane, there is to this day a winepress estimated to be around two thousand years old, in the immediate vicinity of the Garden Tomb.

winepress-gathshemeni.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I missed your point.
Did He assend to heaven on the day of His resurection?
No.

Yahweh entrusted Scripture to the Jews. /Israelites.

Yahweh made /created all things simple.
Men came up with many inventions/ distractions.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I am not making any claims regarding the present location of the Ark.
I'm simply pointing out that the 2 angels, one seated at the head and one seated at the foot of where Jesus's body had been laid brings to mind the ark.
Perhaps of meaning to the deciples?

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's over a billion false answers promoted by the world false religion. The False is Much more common than simple truth revealed by Yahweh. The false stories (like m.v.) are even promoted on this forum when they don't "break rules" so to speak.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's over a billion false answers promoted by the world false religion. The False is Much more common than simple truth revealed by Yahweh. The false stories (like m.v.) are even promoted on this forum when they don't "breakI rules" so to speak. I
My point is that the majority of believers I know, at one time or another, have given me grief for my interst in OT Scripture, suggesting that I do not believe in saved by grace only and that focusing much of my reading in the OT will lead to bondage.
Some point to Galatians and I see nothing in Galations that place me at risk of bondage.
Paul is admonishing them for compelling gentiles to observe Jewish laws regarding circumcision as well as other matters of the law. He does not mention reading and studying OT Scripture for growth in Christ.
On the other hand believers today observe Christmas and Easter.
Can you see my point?
There was no NT at the time of Paul. Yet, he tells us that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
Understand, please, that I am not avocation that Christians should refrain from celebrating Christmas and Easter, but personally, I've found very few interested in subjects such as The Feasts of The Lord and The Taberncle, both I consider rich in teaching about our Lord and Savior.
I am in no way bound by studying such portions of the Old Testament, which, by the way, points to the cross just like the New Testement points back to the cross.
I simply do not understand the lack of interest.
Many times I've shared with Christians books and videos regarding things in the Old Testament that I find fascinating and they reveal Christ, and as such, are of importance to believers today. More often than not, they return them, saying something on the order of " you need to spend more time in the NT, not the old."
That is the reason that I seek out Jewish born again Christians. They have knowledge of OT Scripture they have learned from early childhood. When they become born again they are more likely in a position to help we gentiles.
Yet, I constantly get comments such as "Bill, the old law is pasted away. Get back into the NT."
I have The Holy Spirit within me and am able to discern proper teaching as apposed to false teachers. I do not fear being brought into bondage. I know that I can observe or not observe any day or any part of the Law.
But it in no way adds or takes away from the fact that my salvation is by faith.
From my perspective many do express concern.
I miss Zola Levitt so very much.
A Jewish born again Christian who opened my eyes to the treasures buried in the Old Testament. Yet he did not teach nor did he promote observance of any part of the Law nor any days. I
I suppose I am simply blessed by God that I stumble across his program shortly after becoming a born again Christian.
I have been told that after he died, the teaching by the persons who took over in his stead was not the same.
Anaside note: I am searching for Zola's pre- 1984 programs. If anyone has 1 or more i'd greatly appreciate the privilege of purchasing copies.
He taught in such a gentle manner and having read the New Testament many, many times when I found his program in 1982 when I first got cable TV, my mind and heart and Spirit were ripe for his teaching and I quickly began to understand the New from the the Old. It was then that Jesus gave me a deep hunger to learn more.

Bill
Grafted in

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's over a billion false answers promoted by the world false religion. The False is Much more common than simple truth revealed by Yahweh. The false stories (like m.v.) are even promoted on this forum when they don't "break rules" so to speak.
A direct reference to me, obviously.
So you view my thoughts as foolishness and from the mind of an unsaved person?

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
A direct reference to me, obviously.
So you view my thoughts as foolishness and from the mind of an unsaved person?
No.
If you were to go fishing
in a lake nearby, that has toxic chemicals in it, and this was something known a long time,
would you want someone to let you know BEFORE you ate anything you caught in that lake ?

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟66,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.
If you were to go fishing
in a lake nearby, that has toxic chemicals in it, and this was something known a long time,
would you want someone to let you know BEFORE you ate anything you caught in that lake ?
What?

• Haha
Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟54,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Basically finding answers is not as easy as one would hope. Deception is quite rampant and thorough everywhere. It has been that way since the first century, and of course before that even.
Remember Jesus is Jewish. This helps in the long run. Makes some people angry in the short run.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟146,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am reaching out to Jewish believers because the gentile church is divided on the subject of John 20:17.
Did Jesus accend to heaven directly following his conversation with Mary, or was He simply referring to 40 days later.
I know there are a number of members of Messianic Judaism who God has given greater understanding of such matters that He has revealed in ALL of Scripture.
Thank you.
Grafted in
Bill
Shalom Bill,

@daq has given you some very good context from which to draw some relevant conclusions. I would like to contribute in the same fashion, if I may.

Historical context is a must, if one wants to understand what was really occurring at that precious point in time. Another place you may wish to further your inquiry might be here => Passover While this may not help in requiting your desire to answer you original query, context is everything and will help to build a bigger picture. However, understanding the Zadok calendar and how it dovetails with the Passover account will. It is not for the faint at heart, but you strike me a the bold sort, so take a look at the excellent work @daq has provided in that thread.

In your inquiry here, you made mention of the two angels and Yeshua's burial garments. Let's focus in on those two things and see where that takes us. And since you inquired about the resurrection account from John 20 first, I will begin there:

John 20:1-18
20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.” 3 So Peter went out with the other disciple, and they were going toward the tomb. 4 Both of them were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 5 And stooping to look in, he saw the linen cloths lying there, but he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus'[a] head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; 9 for as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that he must rise from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went back to their homes.
It is evidenced that something occurred with Yeshua's burial garments and that Angels were somehow involved. We will soon read that they brought Him garments to change into because we will read that the Risen Messiah is fully clothed and we must assume that again, the Angels were involved. But hold on. The why has yet to be addressed.
11 But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. 13 They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” 14 Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus.
This is an interesting observation; "but she did not know that it was Jesus." We can only presume she did not look him in the face. But considering the context, it should be no surprise.
15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.”
It is not surprising that a pious woman in that culture and circumstance, would not look into the face of someone she supposed was a non-related adult male in an unsupervised and informal setting. But she did suppose him to be a gardener. Why? His attire perhaps?

Late Second Temple period Jerusalem society was very stratified with the Herodians, the Hasmoneans and the Pharisees occupying the top three strata. Outside here were also merchants, professionals such as scribes - and skilled craftsmen who were a notch or two above the agrarian herdsmen-farmers and general laborers.

The 'gardener' in question could have been something like a landscape architect in that hierarchy, not to be confused with a general laborer that dug in the dirt and watered plants. From their exchange, Mary presumed this gardener to have the authority to have bodies moved - not a trivial matter in that society.

My research indicates that gardeners would wear white linen garments for two purposes; 1.) to protect them from the sun and heat and 2.) to indicate their administrative authority and distinguish them from the lowly workers and field hands. If I find that reference again, I'll post it for you. Anyway...
16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”—and that he had said these things to her.
So here we have the Risen Messiah and He declares that He must soon ascend to the Father. We must presume that to be in the Third Heaven. The title, "The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" is not religious hyperbole. Nor is the declaration that no man may approach the Father except through Him. It is understood that He is our High Priest in Heaven, no? Then you should also know that the Cohen Gadol, the High Priest, must not be defiled before entering the Most Holy Place. I'm also sure that you remember that the earthly Temple is a replica of the actual Temple in the heavenlies.

At this point we know that He is going to ascend to the Father and that He may not be defiled by contact with anyone or anything ritually unclean. Later, and not long after, we will read that He allows His chosen to touch Him. So we must presume that He made that journey in the intermediate.

To recap,
  • He is Risen.
  • Angel have brought Him garments
  • He declares that He must ascend to the Father
  • Soon after these events, He appears to His chosen and allows them to touch Him.

So what does a High Priest wear to minister before the Father? Interestingly enough, it is a set of finely woven white linen garments without seams. I have read several accounts describing these garments with minor discrepancies. Generally speaking, this account should be sufficient for our purposes here. All you have to do is an internet search for 'priestly undergarments'. You will find sources from Josephus, to the Temple Institute, to My Jewish Learning.

So let's talk about priestly undergarments:

These garments are founded with breeches that extend from the knees to the waist and cinched with a drawstring. Worn over the breeches is a white long-sleeved linen vestment that covers the priest from the ankles to wrist to the neck. This vestment is secured to the torso with a four-finger wide white linen sash that is reportedly highly adorned and embroidered for most occasions.

However, there is an exception. That would be a simple white sash worn on the day of Atonement. Some accounts hold that each successive wrap of the sash is tied in the front, thereby making seven successive knots from the chest down to the waist and with the last knot, the remaining sash simply hangs down in the front. The fourth and final addition to the priestly undergarments is a white linen turban. The similarities to the gardener are striking.

There are those that might protest that Messiah would have to wear the ephah, breast plate, mitre, etc. But I'm not sure that is true. It is not how He is depicted in the Revelation account. I'm sure the Father would recognize His Son. Sure, The Son was there to accomplish something under the covenant. But let us not forget that He is The Word! He didn't simply represent the people under the covenant. He is the Word made flesh! He IS the Covenant and the only One found worthy to loose it's Seals!

So I conclude that He did in fact both ascend and return after making atonement for His chosen. His blood was indeed sprinkled on the lintel and door post of the same portal between life and death that Adam crossed through after sinning against the Father those many years ago. He therefor fulfilled the terms of the ancient threshold covenant represented in the Passover story. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟146,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No.

Yahweh entrusted Scripture to the Jews. /Israelites.

Yahweh made /created all things simple.
Men came up with many inventions/ distractions.
Citations please. You've made a lot of unfounded claims. Please be so good as to back them up with scripture and appropriate context.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0