Question for Wolseley about book recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steadfast

Dominus vobiscum
Feb 6, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
✟232.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi Wols,

:help: I was wondering if you could recommend an easy reading, i.e. not too dry, tome on the history of the Catholic Church. I was considering "Triumph" by H. W. Crocker III. He was interviewed on "The World Over" this week and he said a few things that seemed more opinion than fact. :confused: By any chance, have you read his book? Thanks for the assist my friend! ;)

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't read his book; and I hasten to add that most general histories of the Church are either outdated (they end two months after the 2nd Vatican Council), or else rather dry, unfortunately.

You're also not going to be able to avoid a lot of personal opinion in any history, religious or secular. :)

I have one that I use, which is Thomas Bokenkotter's Concise History of the Catholic Church; it's not perfect by any means, but it does what I need it for, which is reference background. But it's dry, I warn you. I really don't know where you're going to find a history that's easy reading, unfortunately. :)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Steadfast:

I also have a copy of The Concise History of the Catholic Church and can recommend it. Definitely not bedtime reading material, but it does contain some of the politics that influenced Church history.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For a bit lighter reading, on the early Catholic Church, I enjoyed "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic: The Early Church was the Catholic Church" by Kenneth Whitehead. Of course, it is mainly apologetic material so it's going to have a stronger Catholic "bias" than other books, but it is an easy read.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.