Not open for further replies.

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
PsychoSarah as accepted my invitation to debate the logical problem of evil.

She claims that the existence of evil and the existence of an all-loving, all-powerful God are logically incompatible and that since evil exists, it follows that God as described does not exist.

She will be arguing for, I against.

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anyways, which one of us shall go first here?

You can.

You asserted earlier that the existence of an omnibenevolent, omnipotent God and evil were logically incompatible. This is what is referred to as the logical problem of evil.

So this thread will revolve around establishing words per post limits, how many rounds, etc. etc.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,726.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hang on!!!!

This is a proposal thread, not a debate thread.

Please follow theses guidelines; and once you agree, I will set it up. OK?

Formal Debate Proposals Guidelines

Sarah, I will move your opening post to the debate thread once we settle on the stipulations and that debate thread is opened.

Mark
Staff Supervisor:)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,726.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So how do we decide a winner? I don't think a poll is fair because of the nature of this forum as a whole indicates more likely than not the majority of people voting would be biased in favor of supporting their currently standing religious view.

We let the peanut gallery decide if there is indeed a winner. The PG is usually as polarized and the opponents.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
For what it's worth, I recommend a lot of rounds on this one. The problem of an evil world created by a perfectly good god is one which lends to much back-and-forth. Long word counts, however, will bore readers away.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
For what it's worth, I recommend a lot of rounds on this one. The problem of an evil world created by a perfectly good god is one which lends to much back-and-forth. Long word counts, however, will bore readers away.

Ok, we present our initial arguments however long we like, and from that point on restrict ourselves to 5 lines of text quotes not included in the count. Will this work Jeremy?

Upvote 0

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My recommendation is five posts each, 500 word maximum per post. PsychoSarah begins by presenting her argument(s) as to why the existence of evil and the existence of an all-loving, all-powerful God are logically incompatible and that since evil exists, it follows that God as described does not exist.

She goes first
I second
She posts again
I again
She again
I again
She again
I again
She closes
I close

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The thing is, I already made a first post and I don't want to waste it nor am I sure it follows these rules. Plus, that system insures you have the final word, with a high likelihood that you could argue against my position and present ideas I had not yet countered, without giving me the possibility of countering it or defending my position after.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The thing is, I already made a first post and I don't want to waste it nor am I sure it follows these rules. Plus, that system insures you have the final word, with a high likelihood that you could argue against my position and present ideas I had not yet countered, without giving me the possibility of countering it or defending my position after.

You are making the argument so the ball is in your court to prove your case.

You can go first
I second
You third
I fourth
I fifth
You sixth
I seventh
You eighth
I ninth
You tenth

I will go two times in a row in order to let you speak last.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

You can go first
I second
You third
I fourth
I fifth
You sixth
I seventh
You eighth
I ninth
You tenth

Ok... And remember your first post can be as long as you like, just like mine was.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,726.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

You can go first
I second
You third
I fourth
I fifth
You sixth
I seventh
You eighth
I ninth
You tenth

I don't want to set it up this way, as keeping track of who posted when can be difficult for us moderators. What I can do is we go four rounds; Sarah's post will go up first; and you will be free to follow with your opening post, as Sarah says, as long as you need. The next three rounds will be alternating with a 500 word limit; Sarah's last post will be the ninth and your the tenth; however I will keep these moderated until you both have posted, then I will approve both at the same time. as with the opening posts there will be no size limit on these closing posts.

Is that acceptable to you both?:)

Upvote 0

Jeremy E Walker

Feb 20, 2014
✟1,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't want to set it up this way, as keeping track of who posted when can be difficult for us moderators. What I can do is we go four rounds; Sarah's post will go up first; and you will be free to follow with your opening post, as Sarah says, as long as you need. The next three rounds will be alternating with a 500 word limit; Sarah's last post will be the ninth and your the tenth; however I will keep these moderated until you both have posted, then I will approve both at the same time. as with the opening posts there will be no size limit on these closing posts.

Is that acceptable to you both?:)

Yes. So after the round of openings, there will be four rounds, for a total of five rounds or 10 posts, correct?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.