• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Psoriasis and eczema

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Help! I think my body is falling apart...lately I have noticed random dry patches that appear to be healing, but when the skin flakes off, it seems to reheal itself again, but the skin underneath seems fine! I don't know what is going on. There are random patches near my scalp and and on the side of my face near one of my ears, and now I have a slight red spot on my cheek that doesn't flake, but is very dry. Should I see a dermatologist? I'm not even sure I can afford it but I'm not going to live with rampant eczema and psoriasis flaking my skin uncontrolled.

I have been reading up on this and apparently there are some crazy alternatives to treating stuff like eczema and psoriasis-- one lady even told me to stop eating dairy foods to see if that might be the culprit. Pardon my language but screw that! Unless someone else is willing to make meals for me, I am not cutting dairy out of my diet, seeing that I barely get enough calcium as it is.

What should I do? this is really concerning me because there is a family history of psoriasis but my family has it more severely.

Believer55

Mar 18, 2006
Colorado
✟7,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Browneyes84 said:
Help! I think my body is falling apart...lately I have noticed random dry patches that appear to be healing, but when the skin flakes off, it seems to reheal itself again, but the skin underneath seems fine! I don't know what is going on. There are random patches near my scalp and and on the side of my face near one of my ears, and now I have a slight red spot on my cheek that doesn't flake, but is very dry. Should I see a dermatologist? I'm not even sure I can afford it but I'm not going to live with rampant eczema and psoriasis flaking my skin uncontrolled.

I have been reading up on this and apparently there are some crazy alternatives to treating stuff like eczema and psoriasis-- one lady even told me to stop eating dairy foods to see if that might be the culprit. Pardon my language but screw that! Unless someone else is willing to make meals for me, I am not cutting dairy out of my diet, seeing that I barely get enough calcium as it is.

What should I do? this is really concerning me because there is a family history of psoriasis but my family has it more severely.
I have eczema and have pretty much had it all my life. If I were you I'd see a dermatologist first. They can prescribe creams or ointments to help. The will tell you the ususal thing: don't take hot baths, moisturize all the time, use a fragrance free soap (Cetaphil bar soap is good!), wash clothes with non-allergenic soaps. I have trouble with the list because I love my showers!!!! Psorisis may also be an allergic reaction to something so they may send you to an allergist to have an allergy panel done. Let me know how it turns out!!!! Claudia.

Upvote 0

meh

Legend
Feb 22, 2006
✟52,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, Browneyes :) I have psoriasis in two places- on one ankle and one elbow. I know it sounds crazy, but the spot on my ankle basically disappeared last year after I'd spent a week at the ocean. I'm told the saltwater and also the sun were good for it.

The elbow never has cleared up. The soaps most people can use made my skin worse. What I do use that works very well keeping the patch in line is products made from the Dead Sea, like soaps and lotions.

Those are some of the little tips I've found that work. But I would certainly see a dermatologist. There are tons of products you could try and you want to make sure you get the right kind for whatever problem you are having.:hug:

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I do have an appointment to see the dermatologist and my primary doc gave me an ointment, and then I got medicine for my allergies because I found out that it can aggravate your skin. And guess what-- after one day of taking to allergy medicine that I was told would help with the eczema, my arms are 50% clear! now how about that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cyberdyne1

Browneyes84 said:

So do you wanna hear the bad news. In 30% of the people that get Psoriasis, it can worsen and become Psoriatic Arthritis. I am one of those 30%. I had Psoriasis for years and the signs were there of arthritis. Last July it hit me like a hammer. Now I have to take Narcotic pain killers or I am in horrible agony. The kind of pain that makes a 49 year old man cry. I take injections of Methotrexate one a week. Methotrexate is a cancer drug that also works on this kind of arthritis. The swelling is down, but the pain is wicked without my other meds...

Link to Psoriatic Arthritis site:

http://www.arthritis.ca/types%20of%20arthritis/psoriatic%20arthritis/default.asp?s=1

Blah...

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Upvote 0

myJehova

Jun 26, 2006
✟15,120.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Hey, I wanted to let you know about a cream and a line of products that has helped me with my eczema tremendously! Have you ever heard of Arbonne? It is a natural skin care line that works great. They have a product called Rejuvenating Cream that works really well and another one called Skin Conditioning Oil that is great with the Rej. Cream. These are great because if you keep going to a dermatologist he will more than likely keep giving you stronger and stronger medicines because your body will build up an immunity to the one you are on. So they will have to get stronger to keep working. But natural products are made of the same thing your body is, not synthetic, so your body just soaks it up! Let me know if you are interested in trying them and I think I could tell you how! Good luck!
~Kim~;)

Upvote 0

RN4CHRIST

Contributor
Aug 16, 2005
The boonies.
✟24,551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have lived with eczema all my life. There are many factors that affect eczema. I also have terrible hayfever and nasal allergies. When these act up it aggrivates my eczema. And yes, when the "spots" heal they leave a pink area like a healed burn that will fade over time. The thing is, people with eczema tend to have reoccurances in the the same spot over and over. Mine are my hands and behind my knees and on my scalp, though I have recently developed one on my foot. What eases the occurances is very individual. For me, daily baths and extreme moisturizing! I also take oral antihistimines daily. These have almost eliminated the worst outbreaks. Now I am down to 1 small spot! I am thankful to God that he has given the doctors the knowledge to know what to treat this with. I pray that you find the right combination for you. Normally the topical ointments and creams are limited to use on the outbreak spot then are stopped when they are healed. That is because the prescription creams are made of corticosteroids that can affect the body's immune responces when over used or used for a long period of time. Please talk with your doctor or dermatologist regarding this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.