Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Binary is not a language, and more importantly, not a storage mechanism.
Binary is a numbering system used in computing, consisting of only two digits, 0 and 1. It is not a language or storage mechanism. Information in computers is stored and processed in binary form.

In recent years, there has been research into using individual atoms as storage devices for digital data. Scientists have demonstrated the feasibility of storing bits of information on individual atoms by manipulating their magnetic properties. This technology is still in the experimental stage and is not yet widely used for practical purposes, but it has the potential to lead to new breakthroughs in data storage technology and overcome some of the limitations of current storage devices. The study you mentioned from the Radboud University in the Netherlands is a good example of this ongoing research.

Mixtures of small organic molecules can store binary information. The method is an alternative to current methods for information storage, with quite different strengths and weaknesses. Yes, this is all experimental, but it has been shown that it can be done. Have you ever heard of Moore's law. Computers were the size of a room when I was in college. Now they are the size of a smart phone.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Binary is a numbering system used in computing, consisting of only two digits, 0 and 1. It is not a language or storage mechanism. Information in computers is stored and processed in binary form.

In recent years, there has been research into using individual atoms as storage devices for digital data. Scientists have demonstrated the feasibility of storing bits of information on individual atoms by manipulating their magnetic properties. This technology is still in the experimental stage and is not yet widely used for practical purposes, but it has the potential to lead to new breakthroughs in data storage technology and overcome some of the limitations of current storage devices. The study you mentioned from the Radboud University in the Netherlands is a good example of this ongoing research.

Mixtures of small organic molecules can store binary information. The method is an alternative to current methods for information storage, with quite different strengths and weaknesses. Yes, this is all experimental, but it has been shown that it can be done. Have you ever heard of Moore's law. Computers were the size of a room when I was in college. Now they are the size of a smart phone.

I'm not talking to your chatbot.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟76,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟362,128.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
My father was a medical doctor and for 50 years he used the power of suggestion and the power of positive thinking. We sometimes call this the placebo effect. SO science requires you to go BEYOND this. We know there is value in positive thinking. We have motivational speakers and even coaches are supposed to motivate their teams to get the best results. My dad use to do hypnosis and he would hypnotize a whole audience. He was a popular speaker and he would get a lot of invitations.

Your family is all other the place with their jobs.

And really, it's just woo.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
I agree with this to a measure or degree but if one just looks to being positive almost like being their god and not looking to the true God in prayer for him to be their supporter then I think they just end up feeling like they're just an empty cup and life loses it's meaning.
I guess it's fortunate that I don't have a god then... I can look to be positive without life losing its meaning and feeling like just an empty cup ;)

Seriously, where did you get that idea?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
All you have to do is search if you really are interested and want to learn something.
At the risk of propagating Wu:

What Is The Vortex?​

Vortex is an energetic stream that belongs to our source. It is a sphere of high vibrations only, and by connecting to it, is what makes everything possible.

there. I did a little homework for you. you are welcome.
Hmm, sounds like another scheme to fleece the vulnerable and gullible...

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, you can store a lot of information on DNA - it's been done (the bible, Britannica, etc), and there have been serious suggestions to use it as a data storage medium. But all the rest is fiction & fantasy. Epigenetic 'memories' are not things you remember, but tags that influence DNA expression, a few of which can be inherited.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
I won a bet because they said memory could not survive death. Our memory could be stored on our atoms and survive cremation.
I think you're taking folk psychology way out of its comfort zone. Do you have the foggiest idea of how your memories are stored in your head, or how they could be digitised?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
An Arctic Vortex is a large area of low pressure and cold air surrounding the earth's poles, particularly over the Arctic. It is a natural weather phenomenon that occurs in the winter months.

The Law of Attraction Vortex, on the other hand, is a term used in the self-help and spiritual communities to describe a concept that is based on the idea that a person's thoughts and feelings can attract positive experiences and outcomes into their life. It is not a scientifically recognized term and is considered to be a pseudoscience.

There's probably some truth to the Law of Attraction, simply due to the nature of how consciousness works. Having an intention about something increases the likelihood we'll notice it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you're taking folk psychology way out of its comfort zone. Do you have the foggiest idea of how your memories are stored in your head, or how they could be digitised?

There is evidence that memory isn't in the brain at all. Experiments have been done where flatworms are cut in half, and they continue to remember things for up to 15 days after being cut in half, despite losing their brain.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is evidence that memory isn't in the brain at all. Experiments have been done where flatworms are cut in half, and they continue to remember things for up to 15 days after being cut in half, despite losing their brain.

No one posting on CF is a flatworm. (I think?) If you want to claim *human* memories are elsewhere than the brain, you'll need to post evidence of that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No one posting on CF is a flatworm. (I think?) If you want to claim *human* memories are elsewhere than the brain, you'll need to post evidence of that.

Humans evolved from creatures similar to flatworms, so presumably the mechanism for memory is similar.

Some scientists like Pim van Lommel or Rupert Sheldrake do not believe memory is stored locally in the brain or body at all, that the brain acts as an antenna for consciousness. Even plants and micro-organisms (like slime molds) that lack nervous systems display goal-directed behavior, even learning, suggestive of a kind of consciousness. Which is why some biologists and physicists see this as suggestive of panpsychism as an explanation for consciousness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Humans evolved from creatures similar to flatworms, so presumably the mechanism for memory is similar.

Planeria don't even have a proper "brain", just a line of "nodes" along each side of the body. The vast majority of our "processing neural tissue" are inside our skulls. (As I recall there are a few small processing nodes elsewhere that are probably related to autonomic activity.
Some scientists like Pim van Lommel
Never heard of him.
or Rupert Sheldrake
Intergalactic fraud.
do not believe memory is stored locally in the brain or body at all, that the brain acts as an antenna for consciousness.
Well that's just silly. (I'm beginning to think van Lommel is also a fraud.) There is no physical mechanism for this to function.
Even plants and micro-organisms (like slime molds) that lack nervous systems display goal-directed behavior, even learning, suggestive of a kind of consciousness.
There is a lot of interesting things about stimulus response in non-animals, but that doesn't make them conscious. (There was a neat episode of NOVA on slime molds recently.)
Which is why some biologists and physicists see this as suggestive of panpsychism as an explanation for consciousness.
When I meet a physicist that thinks conscious is a fundamental property of the physical universe, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Planeria don't even have a proper "brain", just a line of "nodes" along each side of the body. The vast majority of our "processing neural tissue" are inside our skulls. (As I recall there are a few small processing nodes elsewhere that are probably related to autonomic activity.

Never heard of him.

Intergalactic fraud.

Well that's just silly. (I'm beginning to think van Lommel is also a fraud.) There is no physical mechanism for this to function.

There is a lot of interesting things about stimulus response in non-animals, but that doesn't make them conscious. (There was a neat episode of NOVA on slime molds recently.)

When I meet a physicist that thinks conscious is a fundamental property of the physical universe, I'll let you know.

If consciousness isn't fundamental, where does it come from? How do immaterial qualia arise from matter? Ex nihil, nihil fit (out of nothing comes nothing).

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If consciousness isn't fundamental, where does it come from? How do immaterial qualia arise from matter? Ex nihil, nihil fit (out of nothing comes nothing).

Consciousness is pretty clearly an emergent property of sophisticated brains. I have no idea what those qualia are.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Consciousness is pretty clearly an emergent property of sophisticated brains. I have no idea what those qualia are.

In the evolution record, there isn't a real gap that separates humanity from animals as a completely different order of life. I would submit it's more plausible that all life has some kind of consciousness, even if this consciousness is not self-reflective and symbol using, as in human beings, than consciousness essentially emerging from nothing.

This isn't all that controversial among actual zoologists, at least when it comes to discussing mammals, there's plenty of evidence suggesting they are conscious beings that experience pleasure, pain, drives, and emotional states similar to human beings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In the evolution record, there isn't a real gap that separates humanity from animals as a completely different order of life.
It seems mostly a matter of degrees.

I would submit it's more plausible that all life has some kind of consciousness, even if this consciousness is not self-reflective and symbol using, as in human beings, than consciousness essentially emerging from nothing.
Not nothing, brains. <zombie> brains, brains, brains <zombie>
This isn't all that controversial among actual zoologists, at least when it comes to discussing mammals, there's plenty of evidence suggesting they are conscious beings that experience pleasure, pain, drives, and emotional states similar to human beings.
Here's a video from Frans de Waal on this very topic:

95% of your behavior is primate behavior

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,274,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems mostly a matter of degrees.

Yes. That's why I'm arguing that animals, plants, and other life forms also contain a kind of consciousness, albeit of a simpler variety. Brains simply allow for a much more complex form of consciousness that contains faster responses than the kind of simple, slow consciousness a plant or slime mold would have.

Not nothing, brains. <zombie> brains, brains, brains <zombie>

Here's a video from Frans de Waal on this very topic:

95% of your behavior is primate behavior

Most of what makes humanity distinctive has been cultural in nature, owing to the ability to manipulate symbols and engage in abstract thought. Humans haven't change much physically in 70,000 years.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0