Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A video of the attack has circulated online showing a man dressed in black approaching Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel as he preaches and stabbing the bishop several times at the altar in Christ The Good Shepherd Orthodox Church.
Featured Image
Bishop Mar Mari of the Assyrian Orthodox Church seconds before being stabbed by an assailant while preaching

Editor’s note: The following contains video footage of the stabbing. Viewer discretion is advised.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to reports, after being stabbed, Emmanuel placed his hand on his attacker and prayed for him. Good Shepherd church asked for prayers for the bishop and his attacker in a statement.

Lord have mercy! :praying:

• Prayers
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that just recently ISIS called for more attacks against Christians worldwide. I wonder if this is a result of that? Here is where I read about where ISIS was calling for more attacks:

We need to pray and remain vigilant because there may very well be more attacks on Christians from radical Islamic extremists in the near future.

Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟16,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
According to reports, after being stabbed, Emmanuel placed his hand on his attacker and prayed for him. Good Shepherd church asked for prayers for the bishop and his attacker in a statement.

Lord have mercy! :praying:
I know that just recently ISIS called for more attacks against Christians worldwide. I wonder if this is a result of that? Here is where I read about where ISIS was calling for more attacks:

We need to pray and remain vigilant because there may very well be more attacks on Christians from radical Islamic extremists in the near future.
I will pray :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟16,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟764,179.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟764,179.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel has recoved enough to resume taking masses.

He's wearing an eye patch. I don't think he had one before the attack so I don't know if it will be a permanent or temporary injury.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟764,179.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I admire the Bishop's forgiveness, the question of social media showing the attack is part of a broader debate.

It's one thing to express your views - it's another to use social media to groom would-be teenage terrorists.

There's probably never been so many scams and con artists around as there are now. I receive a few attempts at scamming every week - emails saying my network will close down unless..; alleged photos attached to the name of someone I know but whose email address is entirely different; we need to check your details etc. etc.

Australians are losing millions every day to criminals due to the net, and it is social media which supplies the means.

Then there is the problem of trying to distinguish real news from fake news, made all the more difficult due to artificial intelligence.

I sometimes catch a bus or train to the city. It is quite noticeable that just about every young person, and some not so young, spend the entire journey fooling around with their mobile phones.

Concerningly, according to research conducted by Microsoft, we have a shorter attention span than a goldfish. That is less than 9 seconds.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I just learned...

*** He wasn't canonically Orthodox. He was a member of the Ancient Church of the East (not in Communion with the RCC, EOC, Assyrian Church of the East or Oriental Orthodox Churches) and was excommunicated and deposed as a Bishop in 2014. ***

Apparently, he founded his own Church after his excommunication and was "identifying" as Orthodox.

The RCC recognizes the Sacraments of the Orthodox Churches, Assyrian Church of the East, and Polish National Catholic Church.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟448,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I just learned...

*** He wasn't canonically Orthodox. He was a member of the Ancient Church of the East (not in Communion with the RCC, EOC, Assyrian Church of the East or Oriental Orthodox Churches) and was excommunicated and deposed as a Bishop in 2014. ***

Apparently, he founded his own Church after his excommunication and was "identifying" as Orthodox.

The RCC recognizes the Sacraments of the Orthodox Churches, Assyrian Church of the East, and Polish National Catholic Church.
I have seen 'not actually catholic' churches.
It gets confusing.

But it is crazy how churches and pastors are targets

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status