Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, now that we've got a thread about whether or not your church does Confession and Absolution on Sundays, let's ask this one:

How many have Private Confession available for other days of the week? We just had our first one today (Thurs. July 14). It was quite a new experience for me, and I am glad I decided to go in. I feel much better having gone, and I actually FEEL forgiven, in addition to knowing already that I have been forgiven.

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wrote this to a friend of mine from church today...it fits here.

One of the things that I think has helped feed this crippled condition of the church is abandoning the Sacrament of Repentance. There are a lot of people burdened by unconfessed sin. It is so easy on Sunday morning, while in the process of confessing our sins publicly, to rationalize some of that sin in our heads. "Oh God, I am sorry that I did this but if so and so wouldn't have provoked me...." (I know because I do it myself.) But when sin is verbalized before our father confessor, the rationalizations become straw, the weight of sin becomes real, the cleansing of sin becomes cherished and we are strengthened by grace.

Glad you see the benefits, Angelus.

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
St. Paul, whenever they have a pastor, never has a set time. However, it has always been available to anybody. The pastor has made sure that the congregation knows this.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

ottaia

Blue Dragon Rider
Jun 14, 2005
Michigan
✟2,442.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was raised in the RC tradition and had to go to confession. I remember making up sins to confess. For the most part, I had found it to be pretty futile. However, I have found that therapy is a valid substitute, at least in my case. I have found therapists that, if not Christian (one was Jewish), were knowledgable in theology and practices. I find the act of telling someone your deepest, darkest, and then knowing that the person still cares about you is very liberating. I think when we hold sin in, we think that if anyone knows we will be unloved. This is a way to feel that love in spite of our sin. I may have been able to feel this with a priest or pastor but I think my early experiences turned me off to that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.