Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I propose to do a prayerful dialog one on one in the debate forums with any Lutheran who would like discuss the meaning of priesthood and Catholic and protestant understandings of it, how they differ and how they are alike. I would like to highlight the area's of agreement we have with Dr. Luther and the protestants on this but also the disagreements we have with Dr. Luther and I beleive some things he overlooked that are very important and why Catholics have a different view of the ministerial priesthood then Lutherans do. This would be more if a friendly prayerful respectful dialog and not so much a debate so winning is not important but rather respecting and understanding each position on why they hold to what they do. I think this will benefit Catholics and protestants(especially Lutherans on this). If any Lutheran is willing for dialog on this let me know.

Thanks and God bless you!

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not a Lutheran and I don't think I'd have alot to contribute but thought I'd drop a line and say hello. Drop me a PM if your interested in debating the priesthood of all believers vs. RCC Apostolic Authority. There's some important theology and a fascinating history involved.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a Lutheran and I don't think I'd have alot to contribute but thought I'd drop a line and say hello. Drop me a PM if your interested in debating the priesthood of all believers vs. RCC Apostolic Authority. There's some important theology and a fascinating history involved.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Since no Lutherans have taken me up on the prayerful dialog on this subject I would love to do that Mark. I have enjoyed our dialogs in the past. Count me in. We will set something up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I propose to do a prayerful dialog one on one in the debate forums with any Lutheran who would like discuss the meaning of priesthood and Catholic and protestant understandings of it, how they differ and how they are alike. I would like to highlight the area's of agreement we have with Dr. Luther and the protestants on this but also the disagreements we have with Dr. Luther and I beleive some things he overlooked that are very important and why Catholics have a different view of the ministerial priesthood then Lutherans do. This would be more if a friendly prayerful respectful dialog and not so much a debate so winning is not important but rather respecting and understanding each position on why they hold to what they do. I think this will benefit Catholics and protestants(especially Lutherans on this). If any Lutheran is willing for dialog on this let me know.

Thanks and God bless you!

Since no Lutherans have taken me up on the prayerful dialog on this subject I would love to do that Mark. I have enjoyed our dialogs in the past. Count me in. We will set something up.

The Sacramental focus of both the Catholic and Lutheran Churches and our positions on the Office of the Ministry do make for both common ground and very distinct differences. With all due respect to our friend Mark Kennedy, the office of the Ministry in Reformed and Protestant Churches in most respects, is a different thing all together. Don't hesitate to set up a discussion with Mark K. thought, as you said Mark is a great participant, and this would be a good topic for discussion as well.

Athanasias, I've considered your proposal myself, and I too would be more interested in a discussion rather than a debate. We both know our (Churches) respective positions regarding Apostolic Succession, and are steadfastly resolute;); so these positions would not be open to debate, but are worthy of mention as a datum, a starting point. from reading your original post, I believe that's what you have in mind.

Between work (busy as a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest;):p), and moderation duties, we would need to be flexible on the time between posts.

You may have to go a bit easy on me, being an arm-chair theologian, and you being a very learned academic;):D^_^; it would consider it an honor, to discuss and pick your brain.

Let me know:),

Pax Domine!

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Sacramental focus of both the Catholic and Lutheran Churches and our positions on the Office of the Ministry do make for both common ground and very distinct differences. With all due respect to our friend Mark Kennedy, the office of the Ministry in Reformed and Protestant Churches in most respects, is a different thing all together. Don't hesitate to set up a discussion with Mark K. thought, as you said Mark is a great participant, and this would be a good topic for discussion as well.

Athanasias, I've considered your proposal myself, and I too would be more interested in a discussion rather than a debate. We both know our (Churches) respective positions regarding Apostolic Succession, and are steadfastly resolute;); so these positions would not be open to debate, but are worthy of mention as a datum, a starting point. from reading your original post, I believe that's what you have in mind.

Between work (busy as a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest;):p), and moderation duties, we would need to be flexible on the time between posts.

You may have to go a bit easy on me, being an arm-chair theologian, and you being a very learned academic;):D^_^; it would consider it an honor, to discuss and pick your brain.

Let me know:),

Pax Domine!

Mark it would be awesome to dialog with you on the nature of the priesthood and its distinguishments from a Lutheran and Catholic perspective. We can do this in a friendly dialog and relaxed manner and informal way but in a one on one forum. I can be flexible as I work and have a family too. I think this would be fun as I respect highly my Lutheran brothers and even Dr. Luther but I think he may have skipped over a few important text when looking at the priesthood itself.

Let me know and we can set this up.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mark it would be awesome to dialog with you on the nature of the priesthood and its distinguishments from a Lutheran and Catholic perspective. We can do this in a friendly dialog and relaxed manner and informal way but in a one on one forum. I can be flexible as I work and have a family too. I think this would be fun as I respect highly my Lutheran brothers and even Dr. Luther but I think he may have skipped over a few important text when looking at the priesthood itself.

Let me know and we can set this up.

Excellent! I will do up the stipulations, will post them here, and we can review and tweak them as required. We can do a round limit of a maximum of 10 (or less if you think 10 is a bit much); minimum by mutual agreement. After we are done, we can continue in the peanut gallery thread as well.

I will post the stipulations a bit later; right now I'm tired and sore... 4 hours of snow blowing; and it's still storming:).

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent! I will do up the stipulations, will post them here, and we can review and tweak them as required. We can do a round limit of a maximum of 10 (or less if you think 10 is a bit much); minimum by mutual agreement. After we are done, we can continue in the peanut gallery thread as well.

I will post the stipulations a bit later; right now I'm tired and sore... 4 hours of snow blowing; and it's still storming:).

Sounds awesome! I can't wait.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can't wait to see this thing get underway. Athanasias and I will probably end up discussing the Papacy and the Protestant movement or something like that. This sounds more like a Church administration topic and I'm more interested in history and the broader theological principles to be honest.

See you in the peanut gallery, may the truth prevail.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Athanasias, please have a look at the proposed stipulations below; if there is anything that you would like to change or add; let's discuss it.

I am moving this proposal to the new debate forum in the discussion and debate area; and the discussion will proceed there as well. (we're trying to get that new forum up and running.:):thumbsup:

-----------------------------

Title: Priesthood

Stipulations:

1. Topic: A DISCUSSION OF THE MEANING AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE PRIESTHOOD/OFFICE OF THE HOLY MINISTRY FROM CATHOLIC AND CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN PERSPECTIVES
  2. Participants: http://www.christianforums.com/users/212579/ and MarkRohfrietsch.
  3. Rounds: Maximum 10 (discussion may be shortened or closed on mutual agreement of both participants)
  4. Alternating rounds starting each with Athanasias being the first post for a total of 20 posts.
  5. Time limit between posts: 2 weeks maximum, there is no minimum.
  6. Maximum length for each post: Limited to 5000 words
  7. Quotes and References are allowed; Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% rule.
  8. Proposed Start Date: Any time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Athanasias, please have a look at the proposed stipulations below; if there is anything that you would like to change or add; let's discuss it.

I am moving this proposal to the new debate forum in the discussion and debate area; and the discussion will proceed there as well. (we're trying to get that new forum up and running.:):thumbsup:

-----------------------------

Title: Priesthood

Stipulations:

1. Topic: A DISCUSSION OF THE MEANING AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE PRIESTHOOD/OFFICE OF THE HOLY MINISTRY FROM CATHOLIC AND CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN PERSPECTIVES
  2. Participants: http://www.christianforums.com/users/212579/ and MarkRohfrietsch.
  3. Rounds: Maximum 10 (discussion may be shortened or closed on mutual agreement of both participants)
  4. Alternating rounds starting each with Athanasias being the first post for a total of 20 posts.
  5. Time limit between posts: 2 weeks maximum, there is no minimum.
  6. Maximum length for each post: Limited to 5000 words
  7. Quotes and References are allowed; Please note that all quotes will fall under the 20% rule.
  8. Proposed Start Date: Any time.

This sound wonderful. Thanks Mark. I agree to all the terms. I could not have said it better myself. Lets take our time in this prayerful friendly dialog and enjoy it. Since your allowing me to go first I think its only fair then that you should have the last word in the dialog. Is that ok?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This sound wonderful. Thanks Mark. I agree to all the terms. I could not have said it better myself. Lets take our time in this prayerful friendly dialog and enjoy it. Since your allowing me to go first I think its only fair then that you should have the last word in the dialog. Is that ok?

I'm going to have one of our other moderators set this, and the peanut gallery up for us then. Last word?;):p, well as far as this discussion goes, OK. I'm hoping that the discussion continues in the peanut gallery... unless we solve it in 10 rounds, that is;):D^_^.

God bless!:liturgy::crossrc:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.