northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My husband and I have had some longstanding concerns about my son that have come to a head once before and again this summer. We have seen an excellent counselor who has basically told us to back off and let him make his own decisions and recieve the consequences accordingly. Intellectually, I understand.
Personally, this is extreemly hard and painful for me. As my profession and natural response is to help others overcome difficulties, letting my own son create them for himself is difficult to say the least. He needs to feel my love without my fears/advice.(This is easier done with my clients than my own children.) I'm having a hard time trusting God on this one. I would really appreciate prayer for my son's sake as well as mine. Thank you!

Reactions: No Swansong

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My husband and I have had some longstanding concerns about my son that have come to a head once before and again this summer. We have seen an excellent counselor who has basically told us to back off and let him make his own decisions and recieve the consequences accordingly. Intellectually, I understand.
Personally, this is extreemly hard and painful for me. As my profession and natural response is to help others overcome difficulties, letting my own son create them for himself is difficult to say the least. He needs to feel my love without my fears/advice.(This is easier done with my clients than my own children.) I'm having a hard time trusting God on this one. I would really appreciate prayer for my son's sake as well as mine. Thank you!

:crossrc: Oh, this must be hard. I will pray for all of you. God bless you and bring you peace and comfort.

Upvote 0

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your prayers. This is pushing me to reach out and begin to open up to friends a bit more, let myself be vulnerable, and feel the love and support of God through them. Then it is easier to more objectively relate to my son though his eyes. (i'm hoping...)

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your prayers. This is pushing me to reach out and begin to open up to friends a bit more, let myself be vulnerable, and feel the love and support of God through them. Then it is easier to more objectively relate to my son though his eyes. (i'm hoping...)
Sounds like you are being blessed through this season in some good ways. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
:doh: You would ask that now. I just removed myself for a "time out" on CF, as my dear son seems bent on purposely worrying/irritating me and opposing me on even simple requests, even when I'm doing something to benefit him, tonight. Thanks, it felt good to vent :sorry: . Objectify, objectify.....

He continues to chose rocky paths and we keep loving him, offering our aid when appropriate but letting him make his own decisions. In another forum thread on spiritual discipline, I had mentioned that i was using a Yahweh breath prayer (breathe in on 'Yah' and out on 'weh') throughout the day to center myself, remember whose i am, and at times to remind myself to trust that God's love is active and in control. It has helped immensely.

Upvote 0

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
just a quick update and a deeply felt appreciation for prayers... My son is actually taking some initiative lately to improve his academic situation and is actively looking for a P/T job now that he is 16. Both are positive moves that I cling to (as well as the fact that he still asks me for backrubs occasionally before he goes to sleep). My husband and I are both blessed by the fact that through it all we have a loving, if sometimes tense, relationship with him even though we hold VERY different values. He still is comfortable bringing his friends/girlfriends to our house to hang out. Thank you again for your prayers!

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Just got aboard here..I can really relate to what you share. I was a counselor myself and had difficulty dealing with our daughter when she was a teenager several years ago. I wish I had backed off more...but...

It happens to many of us, but that doesn't lessen the difficulty.

I see that things are improving between you and your son...thanks be to God.

My heartfelt prayers,

In the Name of Jesus. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey guys, i could use a prayer for wisdom, for both my DH and i, in how we parent my son. Rocky patch once again...I "know" that God will stay by him no matter how hard he pushes God and all of us away but I still fear and worry for him, and constantly question my own wisdom.

And thanks for letting me keep posting this. It helps just to know a few extra prayers are supporting us sometimes.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
:prayer: Praying for you, artrx.

Heavenly Father, we thank you that you are there for us, guiding us and strengthening us. Please give artrx and DH the wisdom and guidance they need to parent their son at this time in his life. Sustain them with your love as they desire to patiently love their son. And please make your loving presence known to him, Lord. Please give him guidance and wisdom and help him as he grows to maturity. Keep him mindful of the honour rightly due to our earthly parents, Lord; and guide him in listening to their advice and instruction to him.
Lord, we do thank you for the joys we receive from parenting, and also for the challenges and opportunities to love faithfully. Forgive us when we stumble. Amen.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.