Not open for further replies.

Sergius_Lucius

Orthodox Russian
Oct 11, 2003
Moscow
✟15,714.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
What about posting here texts from the Orthodox worship? Hymns of the day or just something that touched your heart.

This hymn is sung on Sundays of Lent at Matins after the reading of Gospel:

Glory. Tone 8.​

Open the gates of repentance to me, O Giver of Life, for my spirit rises early in the morning to your holy temple, bearing a temple of the body all defiled. But as you are full of pity, cleanse it by your compassionate mercy.

Both now. Same Tone.​

Guide me to paths of salvation, Mother of God, for I have befouled my soul with shameful sins and have squandered all my life in sloth. By your intercessions deliver me from all uncleanness.

Have mercy on me, O God, in accordance with your great mercy.
According to the multitude of your compassion blot out my offences.

Tone 6.​

As I ponder the multitudes of dreadful things that I have done, wretch that I am, I tremble for the fearful day of judgement. But confident in your merciful compassion, like David I cry to you, ‘Have mercy upon me, O God, in accordance with your great mercy’.

Source: http://www.anastasis.org.uk/ProdigalE.htm

Sergius_Lucius

Orthodox Russian
Oct 11, 2003
Moscow
✟15,714.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
At Vespers

At Lord, I have cried, Glory:

O Christ our God, of your own will you accepted Crucifixion, for the common restoration of humankind. Taking the reed pen of the Cross, out of love for humankind, in the red ink of royalty with bloody fingers you signed our absolution. Do not forsake us, who are in danger once again of being parted from you. Take pity on your people in distress, for you alone are longsuffering. Rise up and fight against our enemies, as you are all- powerful.

At Matins

Kathisma of the Cross:

In Paradise of old the enemy stripped me naked by a tree, for by my tasting it he brought in death. But now the Tree of the Cross, that bears the clothing of life for mortals, has been fixed on the earth, and the whole world filled with every joy. Seeing it worshipped, you peoples, let us with one accord raise our cry to God with faith, ‘His house is full of glory!’

Canon, Ode 1 (by St. Theodore the Studite):

A day of festival! At Christ’s Rising, death has fled away and the light of life has dawned. Adam has arisen and dances for joy. Therefore let us cry aloud as we sing a song of victory.

A day of worship of the Precious Cross! Come, let all approach it! For now it is set forth, shining with the bright beams of Christ’s Rising. Let us kiss it, as we rejoice in soul.

Great Cross of the Lord, appear! Show me now the divine vision of your beauty, and make me your worthy worshipper. For I address you and embrace you as though you were alive.

Let heaven and earth give praise with one accord, for the all-blessed Cross, on which Christ, nailed in the body, was sacrificed, is now set forth for all. Let us kiss it as we rejoice in soul.

Kathismata of the Cross:

Exalt the Lord our God. And fall down before his footstool, for he is holy(Psalm 98: 5)

Today the words of the Prophet have been fulfilled: for see, we worship at the place on which your feet have stood, Lord; and tasting from the Tree of salvation, we have been delivered from our sinful passions at the prayers of the Mother of God, only lover of humankind.

Kontakion, Tone 7. (By St Romanos):

The sword of flame no longer guards the gate of Eden,
For a strange bond came upon it: the wood of the Cross.
The sting of Death and the victory of Hell were nailed to it.
But you appeared, my Saviour, crying to those in Hell:
‘Be brought back
Again to Paradise’.

Ikos.

Three crosses Pilate fixed on Golgotha,
Two for the thieves and one for the Giver of life,
Whom Hades saw and said to those below,
‘My ministers and powers,
Who has fixed a nail in my heart?
A wooden lance has suddenly pierced me and I am being torn apart.
My insides are in pain, my belly in agony.
My senses make my spirit tremble,
And I am compelled to disgorge
Adam and Adam’s race, given me by a tree,
A tree is bringing them back
Again to Paradise’.

Source: http://www.anastasis.org.uk/sunday_of_the_cross.htm

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.