Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Came across this video and thought I'd share here. I haven't tried it but looking forward to giving it a go. I'll have to change up the recipe to gluten free but I think it can be done.

It's not in English but you can translate it.

I was thinking that it would be safer and would hold in more heat if it was done inside your oven instead of on a counter. that way you could utilize the rack that is already in there and set the candles underneath.

Blackout bread, bake without electricity, with tea lights! Also for preppers

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As always, best to try this out before you need to so you can make any necessary tweaks and know exactly what works and what doesn't. Also you don't need to use a spring-form pan but can use one of these I got for making desserts in my Instant Pot.

I'm going to be using this on my first test inside a cast iron stew pot.

Don't forget using something between your pan and the pot, she used some allen wrenches which most people have left over from some flat pack furniture or other.

This is for cheesecake baking

upload_2022-10-14_17-2-21.png

Put a little cooking spray on the bottom and the bread should pop right out.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For years I regularly made English muffins on a griddle. Any regular bread dough will work, roll about 3/8 inch or maybe half inch, cut with jar/glass/clean empty tuna can or you could even cut with a knife and have squared breads. I think I most recently made these on the top of the heating wood stove last winter - since it was already a source of heat. Other cooking/baking options I'll get around to trying this year will include wood stove backing by raising the bread pan up on a metal trivet or several canning rings and inverting a large pot over it with a small space for the excess heat to escape to see if I can create a reliable baking temperature. Seems to me that the surface temperature of around 350 degrees Fahrenheit will work for pancakes and English muffins, and if captured that same 350 degrees would work well for breads, muffins, or cakes. The fun part of trying is being able to eat the trial results - or feed to the critters, lol!

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, for those who have other sources of heat can bake quite efficiently. I have a 'oven' that fits over a portable gas stove which I have yet to try out yet.:doh:

The reason I liked this method (in the OP) was that anyone can do it. There are many people that live in apartments or other dwellings where they don't have access to alternative methods to bake and this only requires tea lights which just about anyone has.

Each tea candle produces like 30 watts of heat, she had seven I think.

So each candle would produce 102.36 btu's. or combined 716 btu's.

But that heat builds up in the iron pot and gives it a steady temp. It even browned on the bottom. She flipped it and browned the top.

I like your idea of the canning rings, they could also be used as Spacers between the outer pot and the pan with the dough in it.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good. I like it.
We have a solar oven that will bake bread... if you can keep the temperature consistent.
We also have about 60 canned heat cans.
We would love to get a nice cast iron heater.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That would work, I've seen someone make one with a car windshield reflector and a trash can. Thing is though
1. you have to have strong sunlight to do it.
2. You need to do it outside, not good for winter or stealth especially.

Upvote 0