United States
✟25,233.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hmm,what herbs or natural remedy can work for me until Monday?
I'm going to get a throat culture Monday but right now,I'm almost at the maximum dosage for pain killer/fever meds. :( I can hardly swallow or eat.Thanks if anyone has any little helpers.I've done the warm salt water and the tea..I've used chloraseptic and it gave me a migraine.

Reactions: BarbaraJean

BarbaraJean

You took the fall and thought of me, above all!
Jul 5, 2004
Beautiful West Virginia!
✟74,175.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, I'm so late with a reply. This is my first time in this part of the forum.

I use cough drops to soothe a sore throat. That seems to help me more than anything.

I had a horrible experience with strep recently so I sympathize with you. I know it can miserable! Hope you are all better soon!

Upvote 0

chrislife

OCDS
Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband had what you describe last month. You might try a different brand of throat lozenge; they're each made with different medicines. Also, sorbet really helped him lots. More than anything else, in fact. The coldness reduces swelling in the throat, and unlike sherbet, it doesn't have any milk in it.

I hope it passes quickly!
---Christina

Upvote 0

BondmaidenOfChrist

Bound to my master forever.
Jun 6, 2005
Alaska
✟8,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some herbs that might help.
One of the best herbs for a sore throat is slippery elm bark.I know it sounds gross but it is realy nice and tastes good.You should be able to find a tea with slippery elm bark in it at realy any store that sells herbal teas.
Licorice will also help with a sore thoat again tea is the best way to take it for somthing like strep.The candy variety does not count as real licorice :)
Echinacea is good for helping you get over the infection though it will not help with the pain itself.

hope your feeling better soon!

Reactions: symphonyb
Upvote 0

symphonyb

a Blessed with kids member
Feb 8, 2005
United States
✟25,233.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:blush: you're all so sweet you make me blush. actually,I didn't go to my regular dr but to my fiance's dr who is a somewhat new age dr.he still ended up having a strep culture done and i was positive along with my daughter. I'm on Amoxil for a few more days but this is the thing.Other problems began,stomach upset and well...other nasty things.:scratch: He then put me on Theralac(probiotic) 2 hrs after the amox.It's helped me put the good stuff back that the antibiotics take out.He had me drink a licorice tasting liquid whenever I was nauseated.
I did try echinacea,I even tried some green liquid the health store advised but threw that up. This strep germ is new to me.My daughter seems to carry it.
I wonder if upping her Immune system with something natural would help her.She doesn't even run a fever with strep,she just tests positives and passes it on.anyone have this going on? Thanks you girls.:hug: It's nice to know I can jump on line when not feeling well and get some ideas even though this time my germ resisted natural healing:sigh:
one more thing.Who here believes in tonsil removal? had it done? I never did.

Upvote 0

BarbaraJean

You took the fall and thought of me, above all!
Jul 5, 2004
Beautiful West Virginia!
✟74,175.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi symphony!

I didn't have my tonsils removed but my brother & sister both did. I can't say I know enough about the pros and cons to have an educated opinion.

But... I am concerned about what you said about your daughter. I understand that the strep untreated in your system for too long will lead to scarlet fever.

About 5 years ago I went to the doctor because I wanted to try Claritin for my allergies. The dr. said that she couldn't give me a prescription because I had strep throat and needed to be treated for that first. I'm sure she said it looked like it was clearing up on its own and I might not need the prescription. I didn't take the prescription because I didn't feel bad and thought that it was going away on its own (because that is what she said). I never did get a sore throat but about a week or so later I started having extreme pains in my joints. I called a friend who was a nurse and asked her what she thought. Her first question was if one of the children had recently had strep. Once I told her my situation she sounded very concerned and told me to get that prescription filled and take it right away. Since then I've been very careful about sore throats.

Upvote 0

BondmaidenOfChrist

Bound to my master forever.
Jun 6, 2005
Alaska
✟8,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow!Sounds like you've gone through a lot with this infection. Like those above me said when you have strep make sure that you get rid of it completely because if left alone, it can indeed spread to other parts of the body. For your daughter both Echinacea and vitamin C will both help boost her immune system.

Upvote 0