Poll on whether to allow full discussion of homosexuality in TLT, part deux

Do You Want To Open Up Discussion Of Homosexuality And Same Sex Marriage In The TLT Forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It seems to me from reading this thread that a lot of people who are otherwise fine posting here may shy away from the idea of liberal theology because it seems like that might open the door to transgress some fundamental truths about God that are affirmed in your church. Theology is about God, after all, not necessarily about how your church should treat homosexuals (though obviously the two are not unconnected, as it is very easy to argue for a liberalization of, e.g., who should be welcome in the Church by appealing to certain ideas about God's character), so a person can conceivably be liberal in those areas of social thought and still be quite conservative theologically or liturgically or in some other way. Or 'liberal' in the sense of being open to discussing things that might be controversial in other circles, while being conservative in terms of what they'll actually accept.

Just a thought I had, since maybe redefining liberal along those lines rather than specifying theologically liberal could widen the poll so that you could get a more representative sample of those who actually post here.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, I'm happy that up to this point TLT has been a relatively mod-free zone. If we do go forward with this, I'd hope we could refrain from language we had or in the female ordination thread. For instance, I'm not looking forward to having the Church called 'homophobic' nor do I want to hear that oft repeated phrase that homosexuality in an 'abomination'. We've got to try something different this time.

Actually, I would like to discuss homosexuality because it has affected my life, though I haven't brought it up too much on the forums because I don't want to get jumped on.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well Liberal is the best word for the theology...a theology with accord with Enlightenment and post Enlightenment philosophy with parallel view to modernist thought. That is Liberal Theology. And there are expressions of it that mix with Catholic Theology. These expression rely heavily on a development of Dogma that is arguably at odds with Catholic Theology. This is why it requires its own safe haven.

Now, how does that really mix with the Catholic faith...well that is what this place exists to explore. That is why it is here rather then people just going to the liberal christian forum that exists.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...Or 'liberal' in the sense of being open to discussing things that might be controversial in other circles, while being conservative in terms of what they'll actually accept.

Just a thought I had, since maybe redefining liberal along those lines rather than specifying theologically liberal could widen the poll so that you could get a more representative sample of those who actually post here.
That is the way I see it, too. To be "open", rather than "closed off". The problem we have, which so far we have been able to overcome, is how people perceive the term "liberal". If I say I am liberal, which I am, different people may have a wide range of views as to what that means, many negative. To some, being a "liberal Catholic" means opposing, or at least questioning, every doctrine the Church has ever taught. From what I can tell, I doubt there is anyone frequenting this forum who has that mindset. To be a "liberal Catholic" here is more akin to being open and accepting of others, including those who are not fully members of the Church. Catholic means universal, which implies inclusivity, not exclusivity.

Our dear friend Colin does not see himself as a liberal Catholic. I think a lot like he does, and I see myself as a liberal Catholic. Maybe we are both just Catholics who think a lot a like, but use different terms to describe where we stand.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to say, I'm happy that up to this point TLT has been a relatively mod-free zone. If we do go forward with this, I'd hope we could refrain from language we had or in the female ordination thread. For instance, I'm not looking forward to having the Church called 'homophobic' nor do I want to hear that oft repeated phrase that homosexuality in an 'abomination'. We've got to try something different this time.

Actually, I would like to discuss homosexuality because it has affected my life, though I haven't brought it up too much on the forums because I don't want to get jumped on.
It has been nice, hasn't it? We have been sort of policing ourselves, and rarely try to chase out anyone who posts here. I would suspect that few people are hitting the "report" button as well.

I am still unsure of the difference in the two choices, since they both end up in the same place, with what appear to be the same conditions. In any case, I would have no problem with discussing homosexuality or any other kind of sexuality. I even have a thread topic and question ready to go.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a thought, on your Anglo-Catholic thing etc (and I say this being very clear that I'm not exactly the kind of Anglican you're talking about, although I think I'm probably the only one regularly popping in to TLT)... mostly those Anglo-Catholics who are liberal/progressive/"insert label here" have a place to lay their heads.

Well, my thought is that on STR, Anglicans of a very Anglo-Catholic persuasion might find themselves with constant arguments with evangelical Anglicans about Catholic distinctives like a belief in 7 equal sacraments, veneration of Saints, transubstantiation (In some cases, depending on the Anglo-Catholic), Eucharist Adoration, a strong view of a three-fold ministry that includes an emphasis on Apostolic Succession and ontological marks on the soul, and so on and so forth. I feel like a liberal Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian could slide right in here and for the most part fit right in exactly, to the point where no one would know they weren't progressive Roman Catholics apart from the faith identifier and discussions about the Pope's authority or something.

So, I see at least a hypothetical group that might enjoy this as a supplement or alternate to STR the same way we already provide one for Roman Catholics relative to OBOB. Roman Catholics generally post here because they want some place to be themselves on theologically liberal issues or because they want less stringent combative environment, whereas I think with Anglo-Catholic Anglicans and Episcopalians, they would be coming here to be with a more Catholic group than STR represents as a whole (And might post in both) that sustains the Catholic side of their faith more, though of course they might also post in STR to discuss Anglican distinctives.

Of course, it seems to be a non-issue because it sounds like we're not going to be allowed to do it. It's just something I would like to have seen. :) And of course in practice, those folks can already post here- in fellowship and not debating, though I would hope that people wouldn't report them for debating, which would make this less of an issue and sort of defacto extend them full membership rights except for voting, but that's going to be up to individual people who decide to hit the report button or not to hit the report button, without a rule change.

I wonder whether you might do as well or better to look eastwards and think about how to invite Orthodox and Oriental Christians with that kind of leaning, who often I think have less scope within their own traditions than Anglicans do.

Just a thought?

i would probably vote "Yes" on that if a poll were put up for it. I don't have any objection to it. The Anglo-Catholic thing is more of a pet project for me both because I think being from the western tradition like Roman Catholics, they have a very similar experience on Sundays and in their prayer lives, and also because having been an Episcopalian years ago, that church is near and dear to my heart even though I self-identify as Catholic and have not regularly attended Episcopalian Eucharists in a decade or so. I know back when I did identify that way, I would have loved to be have had a forum like this to participate in, that fed the Catholic side of my identity. I think there are probably some people out there like that today.

As we head east, the churches start to have very different liturgical and prayer practices, which may represent more of a difference in terms of perspective, even if some view their sacraments and succession as more valid than Anglican sacraments and succession. So, it'd be a further deviation from the identity of the forum as it stands, in my view. But I like including people and it would be nice to have more people who could talk about some of the eastern theology I allude to occasionally. ;)

Ultimately, I think when people talk about including more groups, I would vote "yes" right up to a line that lands around "progressive Lutheran" (Not sure which way I'd go on that, and more Protestant I'd probably vote no because I'd figure the Liberal Christian area would be fine for them- Liberal Catholic exists as a separate area because of some Catholic distinctives as mentioned earlier in the post that Anglo-Catholic Anglicans have and Eastern Orthodox have to some extent, and *maybe* Lutherans to a much lesser extent, but are really non-existent when you get to Baptist or something, where they have their own distinctives, which I am making no judgement about in this thread except to say that they are not Catholic in practice, obviously, which I doubt they'd disagree with in the sense that I mean it). But of course the center for the forum culturally would always be Rome, it'd just be about a more inclusive vision of who can chat about Catholicism fully and be part of our forum group than maybe official church documents take when saying who is fully a part of their group in a formal real life sense).

However, what I stick my neck out for arguing for is a more select category than what I would ultimately simply click "yes" on if someone else pushed for a poll and got it. :) I argue for what I'm passionate about. But given a yes or no vote on something I am less passionate about, I still might vote "yes".

That is the way I see it, too. To be "open", rather than "closed off". The problem we have, which so far we have been able to overcome, is how people perceive the term "liberal". If I say I am liberal, which I am, different people may have a wide range of views as to what that means, many negative.

Well, maybe in the long run this forum will change some minds and they won't automatically associate the word "liberal" with negative things anymore. :)

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Having read all that has been said, and thankyou so much Marty for your lovely words, I am able and willing to discuss theologians such as Hans Kung, Joan Chittister, and liberal theologians. There are many. I may not agree with them all but can discuss. I still hate labels however. If I have to label myself in any other way than Christian and Catholuc, then I would feel unable to be in here. And that would make me very sad indeed.

Reading what Davidnic has said, I kibdof feel I do not really fit into what is required. However, I am willing to duscuss where I feel able to join in. Not sure I am being very clear. Still got chemo brain lol.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That is why it is here rather then people just going to the liberal christian forum that exists.
I'd like to think we are the most tolerant Catholic sub-forum here, which practises ecumenism and doesn't finger-wag others for thinking differently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would class guys like Nouwen, Merton, Rohr, Keating and Rolheiser(??) as liberals because they test the boundaries sometimes of what it means to be Catholic. Most of them have had the CDF on their trail. Bounty hunters like Ratzinger. :)

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would class guys like Nouwen, Merton, Rohr, Keating and Rolheiser(??) as liberals because they test the boundaries sometimes of what it means to be Catholic. Most of them have had the CDF on their trail. Bounty hunters like Ratzinger. :)

Merton was definitely a liberal Catholic in my view. I really liked The Seven Storey Mountain (Which even conservatives sometimes praise). I hear he got more progressive from there, and so I'd probably like his later works even better- I just haven't gotten around to them yet. And, you're right, he did have the CDF and other church authorities on his tail some. The aforementioned book was censored by his religious order not to include a passage about his child out of wedlock before he became religious- even though no less than St. Augustine of Hippo was living with a woman before he found Christ. But I guess the Trappists would had edited Confessions a bit, too, if it had been written in Merton's time. ;) Merton is still controversial in some quarters of the church. I personally think the man is a Saint if one were to judge just by his writings and his religious work, especially in light of the ecumenical focus of Vatican II and his work with Buddhists and others- caveat being that it kind of seems like he didn't have a relationship with his child, which may not make him a Saint for our times for obvious reasons if true, since we don't just go on writings and the work someone has done for the church. My feeling is that it is not the child that's holding Rome up from considering his cause, though. :) Just a feeling. Might change in this Papacy or the next one.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I really liked The Seven Storey Mountain (Which even conservatives sometimes praise). I hear he got more progressive from there,
Seven Storey Mountain was popular with all catholics. It was carefully edited apparently to avoid controversy. Merton's thinking was naïve then compared to his later writings. I would really like to get a hold of his book specifically on Buddhism. I would have bee interesting if he stayed alive. maybe he would've left the priesthood I'm guessing.He was also a social activist joining protests against the Vietnam War.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, my thought is that on STR, Anglicans of a very Anglo-Catholic persuasion might find themselves with constant arguments with evangelical Anglicans about Catholic distinctives like a belief in 7 equal sacraments, veneration of Saints, transubstantiation (In some cases, depending on the Anglo-Catholic), Eucharist Adoration, a strong view of a three-fold ministry that includes an emphasis on Apostolic Succession and ontological marks on the soul, and so on and so forth. I feel like a liberal Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian could slide right in here and for the most part fit right in exactly, to the point where no one would know they weren't progressive Roman Catholics apart from the faith identifier and discussions about the Pope's authority or something.

So, I see at least a hypothetical group that might enjoy this as a supplement or alternate to STR the same way we already provide one for Roman Catholics relative to OBOB. Roman Catholics generally post here because they want some place to be themselves on theologically liberal issues or because they want less stringent combative environment, whereas I think with Anglo-Catholic Anglicans and Episcopalians, they would be coming here to be with a more Catholic group than STR represents as a whole (And might post in both) that sustains the Catholic side of their faith more, though of course they might also post in STR to discuss Anglican distinctives.

You have a point. Actually, my reading of STR is that it is fairly low-church conservative leaning (some of the people there have made it very clear they're not okay with me at all, as a woman in orders), with lots of folks not in communion with Canterbury, which might have something to do with why I post a fair bit in other places too.

Actually it's fairly quiet in there. I have a hunch that the Anglicans post less amongst themselves to avoid arguing about stuff they know they disagree on (very Anglican politeness!), but that that just means less stuff posted overall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having read all that has been said, and thankyou so much Marty for your lovely words, I am able and willing to discuss theologians such as Hans Kung, Joan Chittister, and liberal theologians. There are many. I may not agree with them all but can discuss. I still hate labels however. If I have to label myself in any other way than Christian and Catholuc, then I would feel unable to be in here. And that would make me very sad indeed.

Reading what Davidnic has said, I kibdof feel I do not really fit into what is required. However, I am willing to duscuss where I feel able to join in. Not sure I am being very clear. Still got chemo brain lol.
You belong right here. Forget what is "required". What is required is that you keep contributing to the discussion.

You want to talk about Hans Kung? I have read most of his works, including his two volume memoir. Don't always totally agree with him, but he is easily my favorite contemporary theologian.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, my reading of STR is that it is fairly low-church conservative leaning (some of the people there have made it very clear they're not okay with me at all, as a woman in orders), with lots of folks not in communion with Canterbury

Which actually means to some degree including progressive Anglo-Catholics here might not only serve the different function relative to Roman Catholics of giving them an environment that's more Catholic in Oxford Movement sense, but also the exact same function it serves for Roman Catholics who are seeking perhaps a more progressive alternative to a conservative dominated main denominational forum (Although I've never gotten the vibe that STR is trying to prevent anyone from saying anything per say- it seems to have fewer people and be less theologically restrictive than OBOB) but still some might find a Liberal Catholic area nice in that they could find people they agree with on both halves of that equation to fellowship with. And, of course, ultimately, if this area became a big draw and brought in progressive Anglo-Catholics who didn't previously participate on CF into TLT, that might wind up feeding back into STR because they could post both places. :) So, it might generate more activity on that forum as a byproduct of including more people in this forum.

Actually, I've always kind of wondered where all the really progressive Episcopalians and such post. It's not on CF (With occasional exceptions). But they've got to have some sort of message forum somewhere, don't they? I mean, there are certainly a lot of ideas and books and news headlines bubbling out of some of those churches. It's kind of odd to see that they seem to have such little presence in the world of web forums I've seen, with the numerically smaller conservative non-Canterbury groups being the larger presence here. Of course, given that CF has historically had some rule sets that haven't been friendly to some liberal causes in the past, I could understand how that would maybe drive some away, but it's odd that there's no where obvious that I know of where they go. Maybe I've just never come across it. Someone pointed out a kind of liberal Christianity type forum elsewhere to me a while back, but not specifically an affirming Anglo-Catholic type place, or even just a liberal Episcopalian type place.

So, it seems like there could be a need, but starting such a forum from scratch here would not work because there isn't a large enough group to get it going. Allowing them at TLT as full members would help our group take off more and give them a place where they are comfortable- sort of like two small parishes folding together. :) I've always thought online that if you add 5 people to a pre-existing group, sometimes it's like adding 15, because they don't just talking among themselves, they spark conversation among existing members by adding new perspectives, but I think in this case, it'd be new perspectives from the same general framework.

But I'm not in charge. :) So it is what it is. But I'm glad we were able to get this poll up and going, because I think it's important also.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seven Storey Mountain was popular with all catholics. It was carefully edited apparently to avoid controversy. Merton's thinking was naïve then compared to his later writings. I would really like to get a hold of his book specifically on Buddhism. I would have bee interesting if he stayed alive. maybe he would've left the priesthood I'm guessing.He was also a social activist joining protests against the Vietnam War.

Merton seemed very much a monk to me. I can't see him being anything but a monk. I could more easily envision him more as a Buddhist monk than I could envision him as a Catholic lay person outside the context of holy orders or a religous order. I think he would have stayed a Catholic until he died of old age (If not for the unfortunate incident with the electric fan that caused his premature death)- and a Trappist to boot- unless in this hypothetical future he sadly didn't have, JP2 and Cardinal Ratzinger or his superiors silenced him and forbid him from writing or teaching, in which case, you never know. But in his heart, he'd have stayed a monk. Any thoughts of such a series of events unfolding may reflect more negatively on what happened to the Church under JP2 and Ratzinger/Benedict than on Merton, who is an icon of what the Church should have become and ultimately didn't. Of course, ultimately is a long time, maybe those 30 years were just a bump in the road and we'll get back to the Spirit of Vatican 2 and go forward from there. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I've read by those who have been put under the CDF microscope [won't say inquisition here, as that would be unkind] the initial impetus usually comes from outside the CDF, when others report a book or other writings by the "suspect". There may be instances where the CDF initiates an investigation on its own, but apparently it mostly utilizes "tips" from those who simply disagree with the author or question their orthodoxy. Kind of like the "liturgy police" at some parishes who are quick to report a priest who seems to deviate from the approved rubrics or changes/adds/deletes some wording at a Mass. The bishop doesn't send out spies to monitor parish priests (I hope) but others are happy to do the dirty work. The CDF seems to operate the same way.

What is also interesting to me is that a theologian can go along for years "testing the boundaries" without a problem, as long as the testing occurs in theological journals and in discussions with other theologians. But once they publish something in a book or periodical that is more readily available to the general Catholic reader, they start to panic. In other words, there is a lot going on in theology, Catholic and otherwise, that most of us are just not aware of. The CDF likes to keep it that way.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.