• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please Pray!!!!

waterwalker4ever

Oct 20, 2004
✟195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife was diagnosed with fibromialsia about 2 years ago and she is always in pain. The doctors put her on multiple medications. Her personality has changed dramatically and she always wants to sleep. I've been with her to the doctor to let them know what is going on but it.seems they just want to throw medications at her. I feel like it is tearing our family apart and I believe healing is.the only option. Please pray that God will heal her.

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
There is a saying 'Pain changes people'.

Chronic pain that you cannot back away from will do so even more. Pain has a bad habit of closing a person down from the outside world and people around them. Its not that they no longer care its just the resources they have kind of get focussed into getting through one minute to the next without either screaming or planning some radical do it yourself surgery in the hope that might stop the pain.

Sleep if a person is able to sleep can offer a respite from that physical pain but it can be hard for someone who does not live with it to accept let alone understand thats what chronic none ending levels of pain can do to people who live with it.

Drs want to make things better especially physical pain and yes they will try all kinds of drugs. Some folk are helped by them whilst others are not. Some have weird side-effects, opiate based drugs can and do make people sleepy.

It might be worth asking if your wife can be seen by a pain clinic that specilises in managing all aspects of pain. If she feels she has some control over the pain rather than the pain totally controlling her it might help to reduce some of her exhaustion from dealing minute by minute with pain and perhaps give her confidence a bit of a boost.

It might also be worth encouarging your wife to join in with one of the better support groups online. Sometimes knowing your not the only one dealing with something increadibly painful and that others have queried doctors, asked about alternative options and found a way to live with pain can help. A pain diary can help drs to help folk to help themselves.

One point to bear in mind- if you attend appointments with her she may well be holding back to the doctors on how bad the pain really is to try to protect you. Suicidal-idealation is a fact of life for anyone who has to deal day in day out with severe chronic pain. It does not mean they want to kill themselves- it just means the pain is that bad they will think of everything they can that might make it stop.

There is nothing so disempowering as watching someone you love and care about going through thw wringer and not be able to do anything to help them. Is there anyone at your church you trust that you can talk to about how this is making you feel as a husband and dad? Carers need support too.

Praying your wife not only gets access to the medical help and support she needs but has some relief from pain.

Reactions: Jeffwhosoever
Upvote 0

christopher morgan

May 9, 2015
melbourne
✟15,236.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi as vespasia said chronic pain and its effects can be so life changing that we find it difficult to adjust to the new person we are seeing affected by the pain. There is all the physical aspects and then the mental, personality shifts, depression etc. My mother whom I care for is 99 and bed bound but these last 6 years when pain takes control she becomes demented, abusive and will hit or bite anyone trying to help her including me. The verbal abuse is always so hard to deal with even though you know it is not her but the pain speaking. Your heart bleeds. And I guess that is one of the main things to always remember, it is not your loved one acting in such a strange or difficult way but the pain is at the steering wheel and our loved one just becomes a passenger. Our Lord's love even extended to those who murdered him while on the cross when he said, "father forgive them they know not what they do." So we at least only have to deal with someone close to us to love and understand with compassion or forgiveness if necessary for anything they do or makes us feel helpless.

As a Christian and having been a full time carer for my mother for over 15 years I can only say I fully understand where you are and you have my total support and love but always remember your not alone. I always looked at my caring role as a gift or opportunity from God to lead me into a real, deeper spiritual practice. I had to decide to give up my life so to speak to serve her. But I always thought of Our Lord saying he came to serve not to be served upon and we must be the same.Our reward comes in our next life as Christians and we will be glad we did our best now despite the challenges, sacrifices and pain.

I pray that the grace of Our Lord is always with you and that you allow His love to join with your own love for your loved one, to give you the strength and perseverance you will need. And of course I pray for a healing for your loved one also. The path God takes us on to reach him often seems beyond us to cope with but that is the whole point. We do need Our Lord, we are all God's children, we are fragile, we must be there for each other and we must never forget we are on a spiritual journey through an imperfect world, heading to somewhere much better where there is no suffering anymore. God bless you, I will say a special prayer after posting this for you, your friend in Christ christopher Australia
:wave:

Upvote 0