Please help to ignite the Great Re-Awakening in Europe

MindyMindy

Jan 19, 2007
✟15,123.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My husband, kids and I, I guess we arrived at ministering in Europe a bit backwards compared to most people here-- we moved to eastern Germany years ago for work-related reasons with my husband's job but we started missionary work later. It's made our lives more fulfilling than we could have imagined before.

I'll say something here that might be a bit surprising at first since we're conditioned to think the opposite, but IMHO Europe is a better place than North America to live as a Christian-- just my own personal observation of course but I've met a surprising number of other people who agree.

Before we left years ago, and even more so now, I just had the feeling that the United States culture has become so obsessed with work and profit, that it's difficult to actually devote oneself to the faith. I've seen this have painful consequences.

Three of my close relatives, one on my side and two on my husband's side, had once been very devoted Christians, intent on raising their children in the faith and spreading the Gospel themselves. But they worked difficult jobs in computers, contracting and health care, and their employers worked them to the bone. Even as they were trying to start families, they had to constantly put in 80-100 hours a week just to make ends meet financially, let alone afford a home and consider college for their kids.

I noticed them changing from cheery, happy young adults filled with the joy of their Christian heritage and involvement, to embittered, frustrated, and frankly just exhausted and burned-out people who stopped caring about the things that really matter. Not only did they cease ministry work, for the most part they stopped attending church or working the Bible into their lives at all. Some began smoking, drinking-- getting into car accidents after leaving work exhausted. One almost filed bankruptcy, the marriages of two of them broke up-- it's just been terrible to see this, to see how their belief in themselves and their faith has fallen apart and been so shaken due to the pressures, financial and cultural, of the American society where they live. And those are only the 3 closest examples I know, I can name dozens of others among friends and acquaintances.

I just feel like there's some part of the USA today that is so dedicated today to profit and wealth, that ordinary human beings and employees become viewed as commodities and expendable ones at that-- to be replaced with fresher hands and outsourced replacements at the first opporunity. So the ethic of society has become that companies and public employers accomplish the most, when they squeeze as much labor as they can out of their workers while exhausting them and denying them as human beings, then tossing them aside with replacements.

This in short, goes against everything that I see would be proper in a Christian society. I know this may vary a lot in different places, but my husband used to work in many places across the country, especially the Midwest and West Coast where we still visit family often, and even in Toronto, Canada. And he encountered this obsession with long hours and exhausting workloads everywhere he went in North America. The stress was unbelievable everywhere he went, even among accomplished and confident people, and it had the effect of turning even fellow Christians against each other. This obsession has taken hold at great cost to personal health, relationships, family, community and one's ability to become involved in Christian worship and ministry.

My husband got an opportunity years ago to work in Erfurt in eastern Germany-- he speaks German fluently from school as well as the German-Scandinavian roots in his family from Minnesota-- and we relocated there, also spending time in the regions around Halle and Rostock.

It was difficult for a while and one shouldn't play down the challenges of going to a foreign country, we had some tough periods after the move, but overall, after a brief period of adjustment (and plenty of German lessons for me and our kids), it's been a dramatic improvement to our quality of life and our desire to both live as Christians and to convey the Gospel.

The perspective on the best kind of life to lead, and the way one should interrelate with society, is just so different there than in North America.

We've still had to work hard in Germany, very hard at times while my husband was getting his business afloat, and the people around us are very industrious too. But work and profit don't consume our lives, the way they consumed the lives of my relatives and friends in the US, who are now desolate and destitute. In the Europe heartland, it just seems people view their work as a means to a better end, toward personal enrichment and betterment and to improving their communities and environment. Granted, much of this has occurred in a secularist context, but the backdrop of life here makes it much easier for a Christian lifestyle to later make room for itself and flourish, and for those who want to engage in ministry to spread their word to others.

One has weeks of vacation in Germany from one's job, easily 5-6 weeks even for high-pressure jobs, fair but decent pay for good work and an absence of the punishing hours that ruin people in North America, plus-- to my pleasant surprise-- a lot of support to those trying to start their own businesses. And the offices aren't anywhere near as cutthroat as in the US, there's competition and intensity in Erfurt certainly, but it's more collegial and friendly.

In contrast to his relatives in the USA who are burned out and too worn down and embittered to lead a Christian life, my husband found the time and support he needed not only to thrive financially, but more importantly, to re-connect himself to his roots in the Lutheran Church, to engage in some amazing discussions on both theology and the Church's role in the world. The Germans in Erfurt bring a special intellectual flavor to their explorations of Christianity and how we can spread the Gospel further, which has been enriching beyond belief to us and for our kids. He also had time to engage in Christian community activities and even to become more involved in ministry, something that his relatives' work schedules in the USA prohibited. As his German has improved and he becomes more engaged in his surroundings, in turn, he has been able to bring in further members to the Church, both native-born Germans and other emigres to Germany like us wherever they're from-- Czechs, Russians, Canadians, Hungarians, other emigrants from the USA.

I do still love the USA and we visit here very frequently even today (the Euro-dollar exchange rate makes that blessedly easy to do), but we'd never go back to live in the States. I know this will vary from person to person, but this is just what we've experienced. Financially, spiritually and in regard to our health, both physical and emotional, living in Erfurt and elsewhere in Germany has been one amazing blessing after another to us.

I know most of you here have ministry in mind in the first place-- this came to us after we'd settled in Europe for other reasons-- but for those who are considering a move to a place like Germany, Belgium, Greece, Italy or Austria, it can feel difficult when you're first adjusting, but eventually, your potential for personal growth and for ministering will be glorious. The work-leisure balance around here, and the more measured view of work in relation to the rest of one's development as a human being, it just makes for an incredible place to develop as a Christian. It also makes the dissemination of this experience, and the roots and modern relevance of our faith, much easier to accomplish.

Just my own two cents, I humbly hope it's helpful.

Yours in Christ and with love to all my brothers and sisters here,

Mindy

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
FYI my friends, I was speaking to an old business associate and fellow Congregationalist from my youth days who actually has made the leap-- he now lives in Denmark, speaks fluent Danish and married a fellow immigrant there, from Hungary in this case who attends the same church. He told me that for those who plan to emigrate to Europe, between the time you make the decision and actually move, takes about 2 1/2 years minimum, often 1 or 2 more depending on your work background and training.

He said it's actually getting better with the EU paperwork-- it used to be awful, but they're trying to smooth the path for immigration to the EU for Americans (and happily, US Christians are among the preferred groups :) ), and so have made it much easier for interested people to join those societies. The main hang-up he said, was basically just the job search, along with of course whatever you have to do improve your colloquial language ability. To find a really secure position and/or find an entry-level milieu that enables you to move up, it can take about 2 years to coordinate that with housing and with the visa requirements.

But he also added that it's doable and not as nerve-wracking as he thought, and that it's well worth it. Also, if you already happen to know French or German, those languages are very useful throughout the EU, especially Southern and eastern sections of Europe. (He agreed though that Britain wasn't really fertile ground for ministry work, and he also avoided it for another reason-- the United Kingdom now has the highest level of debt of almost any industrialized country, both government and personal, as they don't use the Euro there yet. Not exactly a conducive environment for newcomers trying to establish a church presence!)

Another piece of advice was to make sure to tap into the US, Canadian and Aussie expat community right from the start, even before you move. You'll avoid reinventing the wheel that way, and the expats are also great for job tips and early contacts.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If you can help me emigrate, I'm in on it. I can raise my own funds and such, but would need help negotiating the legalities of getting permitted to take up residence overseas. It's not as easy as it used to be.
Hi Moriah,

My friends who've emigrated to Europe (as well as a few who are now in South America and Korea) said they used a handful of useful Websites giving pointers on initiating the process. They also said they got in contact with the expat communities in Europe for further advice which was amazingly helpful, especially for housing and navigating the bureaucratic maze.

You're right in that it can be a pain to navigate the laws of the various destination nations, but again, I've been surprised to hear from many of my expat friends that it's not nearly as difficult as they once thought. And it's probably because many European countries are so eager to attract skilled American workers and Americans with families, so long as they know the languages of the relevant countries or pick them up after a few years there, which the governments help with. In fact, those of us in the Christian community who want to emigrate have an even further advantage since we're already demonstrating a further commitment to work and live in the receiving countries and raise our children there. Many purely economic migrants have to do more to demonstrate that they'll contribute to the places where they're going. Whereas in our case, we're specifically interested in migrating and reestablishing our roots permanently to spread the Gospel to our cousins across the Atlantic who once knew it but have lost it. Our entire raison d'etre is exactly the sort of thing the immigration authorities on the European Continent are looking for, and the path is much smoother for us as a consequence.

For example, I think maybe one of the reasons why so many of the emigres here (and also ones from my own church) have been moving to Germany, is that this country has such favorable laws inviting in Americans, Canadians and Australians who meet certain criteria: especially those with families (or planning to have families), those with skills, planning to start businesses and with some familiarity with the German language-- though not necessarily fluent when they first arrive. Also, the nascent cultural interest in a Christian resurgence in Germany has a lot do with it, in fact those who want to work as ministers and are learning German are apparently able to expedite their applications in at least some German cities, similar to the way US-trained engineers and nurses are able to do.

France was also introducing similar provisions when I was there-- the French really love having skilled American workers move there, so long as they're able to pick up French within a reasonable time and follow the country's laws. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Austria, Italy, Belgium and the Scandinavian countries have similar provisions, even if they're not quite as generous as the ones in Germany.

Some of my more secular friends have emigrated to Europe for more financial reasons, and I have heard sentiments like the ones other people have been mentioning-- sick of being worked to death by US companies for diminishing pay and benefits, vulnerable to bankruptcy if they have only a single setback like a car accident. They went there for different reasons than we're considering, but they probably confronted many of the same obstacles and probably have useful suggestions. One of my old friends linked me here:

escapeartist.com/efam/87/efam87.html

I haven't really looked much at the site, but they do seem to address some of the hurdles you need to tackle when emigrating.

Among many other things, people always emphasize
#1 Language. Knowing French, German, Italian, Danish or the other relevant languages is a huge help in winning a work permit and residence rights in the country of interest, especially if you have some demonstrated ability before you take off. Now, in the USA, there's unfortunately this misperception that mastering a foreign language is too hard for adults, which is totally ridiculous-- people in Europe learn new languages all the time. It's easy if you just work at it a little bit a day (or, if you're in more of a hurry, sign up for an organized language course at a community college, for example, where you can get good in a few months), and before long you'll be able to speak it.

Get a good CD or software case at a bookstore or library, play it in the car or when you're exercising, and then just practice as much as you can, maybe visit a foreign country a bit. Then just do cultural immersion-- watch the movies and TV, magazines, newspapers in the other language. Before long, the language feels natural to you as a mode of communication and you can think and emote intuitively in it. (All of my friends who live in Arizona and California are mastering Spanish these days, it's an economic necessity there, and they say it wasn't that hard-- they just got some Spanish course books and materials from a bookshop or at school, then practiced with Spanish-speaking people and with each other, and they watched some Spanish TV channels and movies.)

#2 Preparation. Like some other people have been pointing out, it really does take about 2-3 years or so between the time you consider moving to the time you move. This is for all sorts of reasons-- language mastery, housing, discussing ministry-specific issues, finding good schools and so on.

Again, the expat community already in Europe is massively helpful with this. I think some of them are indeed involved in the sorts of fundraising networks you allude to. All these are, they're essentially just groups of commonly interested people like us who get together with common plans to emigrate and pool their funds.

Almost all of my emigre friends in Europe realy like it there, they have good jobs, are raising families, aren't facing crushing interest rates (Euro countries on the Continent have much, much less foreign debt than the USA, Australia and Canada and have more flexibility in this), and among those who are pursuing ministry, they've found the environment to be quite supportive, a pleasant surprise to at least some of them. They can still vote in the United States, can still visit family, but they have a new home that has welcomed them, and they're raising their kids as Europeans and are able to attend excellent public schools almost anywhere.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Karelin that is all good info you shared. However, it is easy for you because of your age. I am older, and once you get past 35 it becomes almost impossible for you to qualify with enough "points" on their point systems to immigrate. My fiance and I are both information technology professionals making decent income, with his skills being higher than mine, yet because we are both over 35 now, when we took their point tests online, he BARELY got JUST enough points and I fell 5 points short, because of nothing but our ages. If you're over 35 you'd practically have to be independently wealthy and rich enough to start your own business to get in over in Europe. Everyone I know who emigrated successfully did so in their early or mid 20s.

It is VERY discouraging. :( (We don't care for living in the States, quite frankly.)

One hopeful sign is he now works for an international organization and is starting to take trips overseas in connection with his work -- so if he gets good connections that way he might be qualified to emigrate and in a position to do so, and then once we marry I can go with him just because I'll be his wife. But that will take time ...

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry to hear that Moriah, I didn't know that was such a factor. :( It also seems odd since for one thing, 35 is still in one's prime productive years and for another,. it's when very many people in the States, because of the unbelievable number of years it takes to get educated and out of debt, start having kids.

I'm sure that a few of the people from my own and allied churches years ago who emigrated, were at least on the sunny side of 35. I don't know how they did it-- maybe had personal contacts, some German/French ancestry that they could demonstrate-- but IIRC the IT/professional connections were a huge help.

A couple hopefully modestly helpful hints: I asked recently and one fellow from a neighbor's church whom I did not know, who was 38 at the time he moved to Karlsruhe (a fun college town with a tech focus and good arts from what people tell me) with one young child and another on the way, declared at the outset that he was interested in starting a small import-export tech business with a research branch focusing on pan-Europe networking, something like that. He actually came from modest resources, wasn't really a star academically or in his field, but he had a direct plan to start a "wealth-creating enterprise" and a new source of employment. I don't know the details too well, I think he had to agree to expand the business and hire a certain number of workers by Year 2 or so. But he took out a loan, IIRC undertook collaborative projects with a university there. (His wife also got a lot of maternity leave which was a massive help, something he couldn't get in the States or in Canada or Britain I guess.) He didn't speak much German at first but he got cheap lessons before and after he went there, and I guess was good enough to move forward. He delayed his ministry plans at first but did become more involved once he was settled in, and apparently, though he did have to tough it out for a while, he said it wasn't nearly as stressful as he feared it would be-- there's lots of support for would-be entrepreneurs there.

I know other people have been alluding to this and this does seem to be a theme, but beyond having credentials and good training, language skills (or at least a commitment to learn) and so on, it sounds like Europe gives major points to anyone who fits in somehow with their concept of "wealth creation" and "economic expansion." Mention "entrepreneur" I suppose, and you have a massive leg up, and that seems to apply whether one is married with children or single.

In at least one other case, also, a family with more grown-up kids that made a move (this time I think to Austria which maybe also has that points system), actually registered with immigration plans in the name of the children, i.e. I guess they emigrated as a family. With the kids being invited in, then, the parents gained family reunification privileges which helped them as well. (Also, the mother was of Dutch ancestry but I guess this is sort of German/Austrian-- Germanic?-- something like that which helps with the "ancestry" argument some people use, may have helped a little though I don't know if it's such a big factor.)

I guess in your case, if there's some way you could package your skills in a way that suggests entrepreneurial potential, or link your way in through other relatives, that seems to be the ticket. It sounds annoying but it's consistent with others' experiences I guess, so many of my friends and acquaintances who've moved out across the Atlantic have both richer lives in general with time for family and ministry, *and* better financial position, I guess with the Euro being the world's top currency these days. Makes the hassle of language-learning and the application worth it from what I've heard.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paulabunyan

Nov 20, 2006
✟15,151.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mindy, it was interesting to read the account of you and your family, as I have encountered similar sentiments from numerous people lately who have migrated from North America and from Australia to European cities, whether or not affiliated with a ministry effort.

It really does seem that at least the core of Europe-- it sounds like Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Belgium, perhaps Scandinavia as people have related to me-- is more family-friendly, and thus more Christian-friendly, than the US, Canada and Australia. This is curious because it is the opposite of what I used to think.

But it does seem to hold true. When a good friend of mine had her first child, in the United States, she was given no more than two weeks of maternity leave, and then was forced back to work or she would lose her job-- 60-hour work weeks, just so that she and her husband could even afford their home. Even then, it was financially nerve-wracking and emotionally agonizing, as she had little time to spend with her newborn son. And she was always frowned upon whenever she went to pump her milk. I've heard this everywhere in the country-- California, the Northeast, Midwest, and also in Australia and Canada, it seems to be a common problem. Also, many new parents I've met are frightened at the prospect of schooling their children in the USA, since the public schools are so awful in so many places, private schools are so expensive, and college is bankrupting. It's a terrible situation.

Whereas on the Europe continent at least, new mothers get almost a year of funded maternity leave, and even fathers get time off to care for newborn children. IOW, it's much, much easier to be a new parent in a country like Germany than in North America or Australia today. In fact, my old friend I referred to above, moved 5 years ago with her husband to Darmstadt, somewhere in central Germany I suppose-- they had been taking some German night school courses and apparently, an opening had arisen for her to do import-export coordination for a large florist. After they moved to Darmstadt, she and her husband had two more children there, and she was able to care for them while getting community support for rearing them, without losing her job, able to work flexible hours, even to get a promotion after she returned back from caring for her third child! It's very family-friendly in Darmstadt for professional, working-class, almost any couple who wants to care for their children.

She also says the public schools in Darmstadt are magnificent, she's had to adjust a bit to chatting up other parents in German, but that her first son is already getting exposed to the classics, geometry, and good science teaching even in primary school. The best part-- these public schools are free, and when her children are ready for university or technical school, they will be able to attend them and graduate school almost free of charge. In contrast to the USA today, where college education for one child can cost well over $100,000 and drive families deep into debt-- let alone multiple children, and forget about graduate or professional school like law school or medical school, which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This seems to be a switching of roles from before, when the US used to be a refuge and a wonderful, community-oriented place to raise children in a Christian context and achieve upward mobility. Now, much as I hate to admit it, there's almost a kind of feudalism here-- you are penalized in North America and in Australia for having children and practically forbidden to care for them adequately if you are a new mother or father. Even worse, it is extremely difficult to afford a decent college and graduate education-- even a primary and secondary education due to expensive private schools-- in North America and Australia, and so we are trapped more and more without the capacity to provide for the next generation. Whereas parents get support for child-rearing in much of Europe, and high-quality education is virtually free for those with the ability, with more social mobility there.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Greetings Paula, yes the public education system in Continental Europe is undoubtedly one of its best assets, both free of charge and outstanding-- all the way through university and graduate/professional schools. I have heard of the German "Gymnasium" system which I guess you're referring to here, which are apparently excellent-- I'm more familiar with the "lycee" system in France, which is hard to beat. The "lycees" in France are at the level of (or above) the best private schools in the USA-- which are extremely expensive and a financial drain to parents-- yet fully funded and without cost to students who attend. They're a wonderful asset to anyone motivated enough to perform well enough in them, and it's true, unlike in North America or in Australia and Britain these days, you won't become insolvent just sending your kids to good schools in the process!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

PaladinWithGun2

Warning: Contents Under Pressure
May 20, 2006
Huntsville, Texas
✟26,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Michael,

For better or worse, I am going to Ireland. I have no formal missions training, and if you had asked me six months ago if I would ever work missions in Eurpoe, I would have asked how long you had been smoking crack.

However, through a short progression of events (over two years and counting), I have been stripped, shorn, washed and immersed in the Word. I can't say that I have the Bible down pat, but it is an easy read for me. A little too easy perhaps, but the people I have praying for me and that I check in with seem to think that I am doing fine with dicernment...I just haven't commited it to memory yet.

A friend asked me formally to move overseas and help her establish a worship community. Not a commune - more in alignment with L'Abri...we will be contacting them to see if we might work with them...but we are innexperienced (make that NO EXPERIENCE) and not sure what we are doing. Any suggestions here?

So - I am shooting in the dark here, but I wanted to let you know that God is calling people to Europe. And for better or worse, I am one of them. Any advice I can get to that end is welcome.
God bless ya, girl. Kudos on hearing the Call.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
FYI to those of you on this thread who've been actually mulling the move to Europe to minister (and praise and great thanks to those who are): An ex-Canadian friend of mine who emigrated 5 years ago to Wiesbaden, a medium size-ish city in central Germany (very charming-looking, BTW-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesbaden ), says he's gotten massive value out of the Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone CD's/tapes series for learning German, plus two simple Collins and Langenscheidt German-English dictionaries, which provide nice notes on phrases and usage.

I guess your mileage will vary depending on your favorite learning styles, but my friend knew no more German than "Danke schoen" before going there for business years ago. Within half a year of using the tapes and CDs and just practicing on the street, getting snacks and things in the delis, he could engage easily in conversation, and by a year-and-a-half he was basically fluent. He was at a professional level not long thereafter. And he's never been that good with languages-- other than some French from his school days in Vancouver and some street Spanish he picked up while doing a stint advertising outside of Chicago, with his own brand of hilarious speaking errors at times, he didn't know any foreign languages until he went to Germany.

So it's easily doable to pick up the language fast and use it at a professional level, even. We used Rosetta Stone ourselves in France (I actually thought it was so-so, a bit too expensive) and a lot of people swear by it, but I guess the lesson is to get a sense of your best learning style, whether you're visual or audio, like classes or self-study, lots of grammar or more colloquial practice. In any case, whatever you do keep in mind that it's not hard to pick up the new language, you just need a little determination and some cleverness in your methods to learn it very quickly. (And German I guess is so much like English, it's easy to learn.)

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bielefelder

Apr 24, 2007
✟15,122.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A friend pointed out this thread to me, and I couldn't help adding my 2 cents.

I came to Bielefeld in Germany years ago for purely career reasons-- secular, not religious-- and it was here that I became Christian and took up missionary work. With the help of another American expat/emigre active in church work over here!

I emigrated myself for what sounds like might be similar reasons as a few others of you here, i.e., the quality of life for a professional or technically-trained specialist in Continental Europe is much better than in the States or in Australia or I guess in Canada, too. If you manage to learn German or French or Italian, there's fantastic potential here-- the Continental countries eagerly recruit US-trained engineers, scientists, craftspeople (architects, construction workers, metallurgists, glassblowers, manufacturing experts, surveyors), entrepreneurs, even more artistic types, so long as you can speak the relevant language, which is more often than not German for the American emigres at least. Don't worry about having "Germanic blood" in your background-- it helps a little but it's not the main factor. My only German connection is some Russian ancestry with possible Volga German ties-- what they really care about is technical expertise and in interest in promoting business development, as well as fluency in the language.

In fact, this may well be the best-kept secret of the Western World (maybe I shouldn't be posting here :D ): If you have degrees in a North American university and know German or French, for example, you basically have prospects to emigrate to Europe and enjoy a much better standard of living than what passes for it in the United States now.

I'm an expert in network analysis, databases and misson-critical design. I graduated early in my field with top honors and got a master's degree at an Ivy League University in the United States (to the tune of over $100,000 in debt!), and while I expected to work hard, I at least thought I'd be treated with dignity and respect in my job, and fairly compensated.

Instead, I was treated like scum wherever I went. I worked for hospital IT staffs and a few companies, and I was constantly shocked at the way I and my colleagues were regarded. We were forced to work 70, 80, even 90 or more hours a week for diminishing pay and disappearing benefits, as our jobs kept getting outsourced to India and some other places. Vacation is almost nonexistent, and even on most weekends we had to be in there.

The workplaces were all horribly abusive-- the managers and the other workers were also under tremendous stress. The hospital was awful-- not just us, but most of the staff, even the technicians, nurses and especially the doctors in training, were treated like vermin there, it was impossible to work there for very long.

To call my workplaces "cutthroat" is an understatement. Case in point-- a repair and system coordination file at one of my companies, which I'd spent weeks researching and preparing and which was due in 5 days, was stolen from my desk when I went down to get a cup of coffee. I did have most of it backed-up and was able to recover much of it, but I lost a lot of work and a lot of trust because of it-- other workers even had their hard drives sabotaged!

The places were cutthroat for reasons that seem obvious in retrospect-- we were pitted against one another, and it was obvious that only a minority of us were going to keep our jobs, the rest were going to be outsourced or eliminated. And even those of us who did stay around were going to see our salaries plummet, and if we even raised a finger to complain, the pink slip would be in our mailboxes by the afternoon.

The American workplace has become truly toxic. And believe me, this is everywhere in the United States-- Missouri and North Carolina were as bad as New York, California and Washington state. And as many people have told me, Canada and Australia are also getting awful, following the American model of work-till-you-drop-- even the UK, which is in Europe, is sadly following the American example of treating professionals like cannon fodder rather than the EU model of respect and harnessing our creative powers.

I became so stressed out that I stopped dating, stopped going to movies, stopped calling my family, barely exercised, ate a horrendous diet, lost track of the things that are really important. I fell ever deeper into debt-- my rent was also rising and my pay was hardly enough to cover my basic expenses, so my debt from college kept shooting up. I eventually went to the doctor (I had to sneak in a sick day) and was diagnosed with heart palpitations from the stress and some nasty high blood pressure-- and I used to be a decent track runner in college! I started drinking. I was always exhausted-- at one point I nearly totalled my car when I dozed off after work and got a little close to the median!

I couldn't believe this was happening to me, as hard as I'd worked before and as much as I'd accomplished. I was like slave labor. A couple old friends of mine had emigrated to Europe some time ago-- one of them to Belgium, the other to Austria. My Austrian friend had connections to a company in Bielefeld. I'd studied a little bit of German in high school-- though I admit I wasn't very good at it-- and a friend of mine from Pennsylvania with German-American roots helped to teach me a little more on my rare breaks from work. I squeezed in some German lessons during our brief lunches and on the occasional weekend or holiday off, until I slowly became confident enough to speak it at a basic level.

With my Bielefeld connections in place, some confidence in at least basic conversational German, and having found an apartment there, I worked up the courage to resign from my job and emigrate.

It was a tad rocky at first and there was a particularly rough patch in Bielefeld when I even briefly entertained the idea of returning home, but since then, it's become clear that emigrating to Germany has been a liberation.

I'm paid more here, I'm encouraged to use my creativity to find solutions to thorny problems (which also helps in the compensation department), I work hard but much fewer hours-- 60 hours is generally the max only in the tough weeks, it's usually around 40-50 hours-- I have my weekends off, I'm able to take at least 5 and often more weeks of vacation depending on how much I'm able to contribute, and generally able to partake in leisure activities, even encouraged to start my own spin-off business if I want. I can do extra work on the weekends if I desire, but I'm paid fairly for it, not cheated out of it as we constantly were in the USA.

The workplace is actually healthy-- people are competitive but in a productive, pro-active way. There's none of the cutthroat craziness as in the United States-- it feels much more like a team and we help each other out, with our competitiveness pushing each other to accomplish more at each turn. As an added bonus, I earn my salary, commissions and investment income in the Euro, which is vastly better than the dollar. I've been able to pay off my college loans from the USA in just two years in part due to the Euro exchange rate, whereas it would've taken me a decade or more in the United States-- and working much more humane hours! The only challenging part has been truly mastering German, but it hasn't been that hard-- when you live and work in the language, you absorb it easily.

Plus I've been able to travel the world-- recently with a missionary flavor on occasion-- and can stay in nice hotels, generally enjoy where I'm going and not have to worry so much about money.

Oh, and another important thing-- since emigrating, I've been able to think more about spiritual and religious issues. I ran into another American emigre (there are quite a few of us in Bielefeld), who introduced me to a church that had recently been founded, in part with the help of some Americans, Canadians and Britons who had moved, with German-language services that were open to the general public. I joined and-- actually having the time to attend church-- connected up to something that I'd been missing for far too long. It's another reason why I won't go back to the States-- the workplace there is so awful, I could never attend Church or participate in Church pursuits on anything approaching a regular basis, something that's much easier for me here.

I've traveled already to other European countries and done some early ministry work, no doubt making a number of newbie mistakes along the way but having some effect. German is spoken to a surprising degree throughout Europe-- not only in Germany and Austria but also in Switzerland, much of Italy, Belgium, part of northeastern France and in Eastern Europe and Russia. It's been a wonderful tool for missionary work.

(Britain, on the other hand, was a total bust-- I figured I might have some effect since English is my native tongue, but there was tremendous hostility to Christian missionary pursuits and churchbuilding there, and my American-ness probably didn't help either. I guess the wounds of 1776 will never really heal. I agree with the OP in any case, the UK now really isn't a good place to try ministry efforts, we devoted many resources and they were wasted there.) Scandinavia was so-so but I have had some good receptivity there-- Belgium was great, though I was limited by language issues. (Any French-speakers out there-- we need you!)

Well, more than two cents, I guess. But I'd strongly encourage some of you who are interested, to come here. It'll be better for you especially if you have a professional background, and your help will be much appreciated!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hey folks, just a couple helpful hints on registering your name (relayed from one of my old buddies doing missionary work in Central Europe) for those of you who are doing missionary work and formally emigrating to Austria, Germany, Switzerland or the other German-speaking countries at least.

I think this has been brought up before, but when you migrate to a European country, many Americans, Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis will change their names, at least while in the new country, to help ease issues with registration, job searches, benefit filings, church permits and the like. When I was in France, I knew some Britons and Americans e.g. who'd gone from "John" or "Jack" to "Jean" or "Jacques" just to pick an example-- essentially an equivalent name in their new country, with which they could easily switch back and forth.

This is even easier in the German-speaking countries apparently, since English and German (i.e. High German, the official language in Austria and Germany) are both closely related languages in the broader German language family, so there are literally hundreds of close equivalents for both first names and surnames.

My old pal mentioned that most of his own fellow American emigres seem to be formally adopting German names themselves since it really does help to fit in there, *and* because it's so easy-- the German equivalents are apparently so similar, the expats there are basically able to have their cake and eat it too, i.e. use their new formal High German name as their official designation while just using their Anglo-Saxon name on visits to the States, without batting an eyelash.

Furthermore, since something like 100 million Americans I guess have German ancestry anyway, it's very easy to just re-adopt a German equivalent-- in fact, many American surnames are German surnames anyway, which makes the process still easier. A few surname equivalents below that my friend forwarded onto me.

Besides the practical utility for anyone making the move to Europe, this is just incredibly fascinating, especially for those of you who are into genealogical studies:

Weaver = Weber
Fisher = Fischer
Smith = Schmidt
Miller = Müller
Foster, Forster, Forrester = Förster
Gardner = Gärtner
Yeager (as in Chuck Yeager) = Jäger
White = Weiss
Major ( e.g. John Major, the British ex-PM) = Meyer, Meier, Maier, Mayer
Baker = Bäcker, Becker
Hoover = Huber
Kline = Klein
Grossman = Grossmann
Johnson, Jones, Jackson = Johannes
Newman = Neumann, Neuman, Niemann
Barber = Bader
Frederick = Friedrich
Shoemaker = Schumacher

Many very prominent American surnames well-known from e.g. top business, political, and sports leaders-- Rockefeller, Westinghouse, Weyerhauser, Eisenhower, Boeing, Stengel, Steinbrenner, Ruth, Astor, Steinway among many others-- also stem from German ancestry, so it's also easy to "Germanize" them.

Some other names are less obvious but have easy occupational equivalents in German that you can use:

Farmer = Bauer (yep, that's what Jack Bauer's ancestors were doing in Germany, for any of you fellow "21" fans out there :) )
Carpenter = Zimmermann
Taylor = Schneider
Little, Short = Klein
Fletcher = Pfeiler
Hunter = Jäger
Butcher = Fleischer, Metzger
Whitehead = Weisskopf
Burns = Brenner
Judge = Richter

The same applies for first names, e.g. John = Johann, Johannes or Hans. Charles = Karl. Stephanie = Steffi (among other variations). Mary = Maria. Robert = Rupert (or Robert, it's also in German). Thomas = Tomas. William = Wilhelm. Roger, Philip, Martin, David, Solomon, Michael are spelled the same in English and German. This is in part because, of course, the Christian Biblical tradition is so strong in the German-speaking countries!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

myhomiesneedjesus

May 27, 2007
Hereford, UK...Midlandz Massif
✟7,863.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
why is Britain not a good location for ministrial work?

I'm British born and bred so i find it quite hurtful! lol

i personally think that Britain today is rather Americanised. Societies that are dominated by greed and materialism are growing and money seems to be the thing on most people's mind.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Ozarkan

Jul 11, 2007
✟15,124.00
Faith
Baptist
Fascinating, I have a couple friends who are doing this-- one Christian and indeed with an interest in mission work, the other decidedly secular, but they both wound up signing up for the same German classes a couple years ago and now they and their wives are joining forces in Greifswald, tucked up there in NE Germany.

One thing that I don't think has been brought up before in this thread-- eastern Germany in particular is a fantastic place to do missionary work. Remember, this region used to be within East Germany and it's now a big recipient of ethnic Germans from Russia and other regions of the former USSR, who under decades of Communism lost touch with much of the best of their Christian heritage.

Eastern Germany in fact, is probably one of the best places in the world to do mission work-- it has a combination of low Christian participation but a refreshingly receptive local population and an obvious physical Christian heritage: some of the best European churches, in which German classical music greats like Bach and Brahms staged among their earliest symphonies, are here, so the people know where they came from.

Plus it's technologically advanced out there, modern yet fortuitously very low-cost to get set up and find housing. And the German government is really trying to attract skilled immigrants-- indeed, those with or planning to start families get high billing-- out to the region, which is much less populated than the West.

I've been around there a couple times after I finally bit the bullet and got some German language software to practice on, honestly eastern Germany and Germany in general are mind-boggling in a way that's difficult to put into words.

The German cities, they just seem to have the best architecture, the best music, the best (and yet very warm and welcoming) shops and boutiques, best scientists and engineers, the best coffee and certainly the best beer I've ever sampled.

And it's even more awe-inspiring that most of the architecture stems from well before the modern period-- in cities like Greifswald and Rostock which is nearby, it's obvious how strong the Christian faith has been there, since its people were clearly inspired to construct their works for God's eyes. It really is inspiring.

Anyway, don't worry about the ancestry thing, I know this has come up here. There does seem to be a slight boost to a work visa application if a person has German ancestry but "German" here essentially means "Germanic" since historically, the German peoples I guess have been spread out over so many places.

My secular friend emigrating to Germany is straight English-Scottish in ancestry, and that was just fine-- "Anglo-Saxons" remember, came originally from northern and northwestern Germany, places in fact called Angeln and Sachsen on modern maps, so there's enough fudgability there to get the German ancestry designation for just about anybody from the British Isles, not to mention Scandinavia, the Low Countries, north Italy and north France among a few other places. And even this really isn't necessary, they're more after skilled people and those with or planning families there.

Viel Glueck und alles bestes zu Ihnen, die nach Deutschland gehen, um unsere Botschaft zu verbreiten. All the best to those of you going there!

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ozarkan, that's quite an observant point about eastern Germany which I've also heard independently to be particularly fertile ground for Europe-based missionary work. An old acquaintance of mine established a small ministry in Stralsund, which I believe is somewhere near the region your friends settled in, in the German Baltic corridor.

He said it was like pre-planted soil for ministry work-- the people separated from the faith by 45 years of anti-Christian Communist dogma, still finding their cultural bearings and with a burning desire to reconnect to their Lutheran and other Christian moorings.

Plus the practical advantages were substantial, like you say the costs of property, housing, setting up a business are much less in eastern Germany than in the rest of the Europe, yet combined with a modern infrastructure and educated populace that helps to spread the Message-- not to mention secure employment and manage the financial nuts and bolts of a ministry and one's own family's needs there. It's a really unique combination of advanced cities with low expenses and a population that's especially receptive of our efforts.

My old acquaintance in Stralsund got involved in a hardware business to support himself and now has 3 children that he's raising there, they're attending excellent schools with the eldest even lending a hand with the ministry efforts.

Plus the kids grew up speaking German, a massive help. Though their Dad-- he's English-Dutch himself, apparently never studied German in school-- said he got fluent in German in just a couple years there, nothing more than a couple German audiotapes and booklets at first to get the basics.

German difficulty is overrated methinks, at least for native English speakers since we also speak a similar Germanic language I presume-- almost every American, Canadian or Australian I've known who's actually gotten set up in Germany seems to have mastered German within a couple years tops, even people that the Lord has never exactly gifted with foreign-language ability! Colloquial German at least seems relatively easy to pick up for us.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
S

saulbecomepaul77

'German difficulty is overrated methinks, at least for native English speakers since we also speak a similar Germanic language I presume-- almost every American, Canadian or Australian I've known who's actually gotten set up in Germany seems to have mastered German within a couple years tops'

Yes this definitely rings true for me, my wife and two sons. Schools in the USA don't teach German correctly-- they treat it like an entirely separate language and they stress over all those articles and the fine points of German grammar. In fact, real, spoken German as spoken by the Germans is simpler and easy to learn-- the Germans don't worry about all those niceties, they just get their point across when they talk. And in fact German is extremely similar to English, they're brother languages and you can use these similarities to learn it fast. Examples: "That is a good idea" = "Das ist eine gute Idee." "My arm can reach it" = "Mein Arm kann es erreichen." "We're all going to Jim's house tomorrow to eat." = "Morgen gehen wir alle zu Jims Haus zu essen." And so on. When you realize how close the languages are, you learn them quickly. My wife, sons and I have learned it quickly.

Anyway, this all comes in very handy, as you really do need to have skill in the language to minister effectively. My wife and I had been considering a move to Magdeburg in Germany for originally financial reasons but, thanks in part to this thread, we've decided to take the plunge and emigrate there, and ministering will be a prominent part of our work there. I'd heard of missionaries working in France and Austria before, but reading the enthusiasm of the people here-- including saulbecomepaul, you can guess who inspired my handle ;)-- has put the same inspiration into me.

I'm involved in facilitating the computer networks and quality-control systems for GMP (good-manufacturing practice) factories and the companies that run them, and the opportunities in Magdeburg and Germany in general were too good to pass up as I found out 2 years ago. Honestly, I feel a bit like the guy who announces a shortcut on the radio (after which everybody knows about it and it ceases to be a shortcut! :sorry:), but just in the interest of giving a leg up to my Christian brethren:

The work and living opportunities in Germany nowadays are just unbelievable for an American, Australian, Canadian or Brit, if you have professional training and speak German: very good pay (in the Euro currency), fantastic standard of living and indeed not too costly, gorgeous cities with extraordinary public works stretching back centuries when Germany had been a fragmented bunch of dukedoms, clean, friendly, surprisingly decent weather with the best Christmas celebrations this side of the Atlantic.

And the German government is eagerly trying to attract professionals and people with Germanic ancestry from North America and Australia, since some cities have been shrinking in population here, so the opportunities are phenomenal. Word of this is starting to spread at least in the States and in Canada, so I'd give maybe 5 years before a big influx rushes in, but right now it's just a great place to live and to minister.

Magdeburg especially, is just fabulous, one of the most spectacular cities in Europe and in the world. Just the great cathedral here alone is enough to inspire someone to greatness.

I do feel that Germany especially in the east is the core of a European-wide Christian resurgence, and I'm glad to be contributing in my own small way to assisting this! We're always glad to have others join in!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Saul, you weren't kidding about Magdeburg:

http://tinyurl.com/2w3mml
http://tinyurl.com/36obh9
http://tinyurl.com/36yz9y
http://tinyurl.com/2n65ke
http://tinyurl.com/2ys84r
Inspirational indeed and with quite an impression as a Great City of Christendom. I've always been more oriented toward the French side of things in Europe (it's what I took in school) but I never ceased to be impressed by the magnificence of these German cities. Landmarks of Christian aspiration in their history and I hope soon to become so again, with our help!

Saul BTW, in another post you said you're of part German (or other Germanic-- Dutch? English?) ancestry and you mention this above-- did you personally find this to be a useful factor at all in getting work permits, visas to work and then actually emigrate to, and settle in Germany? I know this comes up sometimes, I've been under the impression that some German/Germanic ancestry can be a plus, though it's mainly factors like a skilled background, entrepreneurship, and having or desiring a family that help one to get the settlement permit in Germany. Just curious about your particular findings.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
S

saulbecomepaul77

Karelin, in reply to your question since this does come up a lot-- Germany has a multi-tiered system for establishing citizenship and residency permit status for would-be immigrants. To a crude approximation, one of these is based essentially on Roman law and the notion of "citizenship of the soil," which the US also has-- i.e. those who move to Germany without prior German blood ties, but abide by the local and federal statutes, work productively and raise families there, essentially win citizenship as new members inducted into the nation.

It's through this tier that, for example, millions of Croatians, Poles, Czechs, Serbs, Slovaks, Russians, Ukrainians and others over the past 10 years have won German citizenship and become Germans with all the rights and privileges of a citizen born within Germany itself. These days at least, in extending this kind of citizenship, the German government is increasingly focusing on skilled professionals who can speak at least conversational-level German (or learn it quickly when they arrive), who want to start businesses and especially are interested in starting and raising families in the country or bring families in, although obviously millions of initialy single professionals have also been settling there.

Now, the other tier in this system is the more traditional "citizenship by blood" practice that's been more common among nations that have more-or-less arisen organically before modern times and without a separate scheme of sponsored immigration. This system provides expedited residency permits and citizenship for millions of ethnic Germans in other countries who want to settle in Germany-- with a parallel system in Austria-- without as many requirements in regard to e.g. professional background (though they help). Again, some familiarity with the German language is expected, although obviously they don't expect immigrants to be fluent-- just have some basic knowledge of simple German, maybe more than what you'd get from a few months in a high school class, and mainly be willing to learn it when you get there (which the government helps with).

AFAIK, Germany is unique in the way it has both tiers of citizenship application, operating simultaneously. Although the German government doesn't officially acknowledge it, they're also very happy to see a Christian revival there, so those of us here should feel no vacillation in expressing pride about our interest in promoting ministry.

Furthermore, even the "citizenship by blood" tier is a bit complicated-- Germany wasn't even a country until 1871, and the "German people" are extremely diverse and also constantly in flux over the past 2 millennia (which maybe explains some of the dynamism of the culture there to produce people like Bach and Einstein I suppose). Plus, Germany has the world's largest diaspora outside of the Chinese-- over 150 million ethnic Germans (about twice the population of Germany itself) in places such as Eastern Europe/Russia, Turkey, SE Asia, North America and South American countries. Germany *also* gives citizenship by blood privileges to "Germanic" peoples who may have left the territory now associated with Germany/Austria many centuries-- thus Dutch, Scandinavians, and large numbers of eastern Europeans also qualify.

As I think maybe you've surmised, those with British Isles heritage also have "citizenship by blood" privileges due to the Anglo-Saxon connection and the Anglo-Saxon origins in northern Germany centuries ago.

So as you can see, it's complicated, a lot of concentric rings to decide citizenship privileges. In fact, there's been such high levels of ethnic Germanic/British/Eastern European/North American immigration to Germany in recent years, that the "Neu Deutscher" (the "New Germans" whose ancestors were already outside of Germany before 1910) are starting to outnumber the "Alt Deutscher."

In practice, again, you can probably find some blood citizenship link somewhere in your family tree, but it's elements such as professional work skills, entrepreneurial interests, starting families, familiarity with the German language that are more important. You shouldn't have a problem.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your insightful comments, SBP, really clarifies things and that helps to make sense out of what seemed like a Byzantine system. I guess the "Germanic" label is so broad that it seems to cover anyone of north European ancestry, so I guess 2/3 of the US/Canadian/Aussie population is eligible. :)

I have to say, from the scattered reports I've heard, I've been surprised at the warmth of the reception that Christian ministers from North America and Australia have received in Germany, seems like there might even be official support for our efforts there. If the authorities themselves are re-connecting to the Gospel, that's just one more wonderful blessing for us in general.

BTW thx for the compact language lesson, I've long known that French has some similarities to English, but looks like they're nothing compared to the kinship of English and German with even basic speech, springing I suppose from the same root. My Germanophone friend helped with some other examples, gave me a copy of some poetry by Rainer Maria Rilke with an English translation-- our two languages are amazingly alike at all levels.

e.g. the words land, finger, arm, wild, blind, bitter, situation, band, sand, moral, winter, wolf and hundreds of others, the same in German and English, with thousands of others with very close analogies. Heh, I signed up for French in high school partly b/c everyone said German was too hard, I guess this is another lesson in being careful about uninformed advice!

• Prayers
Upvote 0