Physical descriptions of Jesus from historical sources

C

Cassiterides

Physical descriptions of Jesus from historical sources

The first source is as follows:

Description of Jesus by Publius Lentulus, Governor of Judea, addressed to Tiberius Caesar, Emperor of Rome. Found in an excavated city written in Aramaic, on stone.

"THERE lives, at this, time, in Judea, a man of singular virtue, whose name is Jesus Christ, whom the barbarians esteem as a prophet, but his followers love and adore him as the offspring of the immortal God. He calls back the dead from the graves, and heals all sorts of diseases with a word or a touch.

He is a tall man, and well shaped, of an amiable and reverend aspect; his hair of a colour that can hardly be matched, the colour of chestnut full ripe failing in waves about his shoulders. His forehead high, large and imposing; his cheeks without spot or wrinkle, beautiful symmetry; his beard thick and of a colour suitable to his hair, reaching below his chin. His eyes bright blue, clear and serene, look innocent, dignified, manly and mature.

In proportion of body, most perfect and captivating, his hands and arms most delectable to behold. He rebukes with majesty, counsels with mildness, his whole address, whether in word or deed, being eloquent and grave. No man has seen him laugh, yet his manner is exceedingly pleasant; but he has wept in the presence of men. He is temperate, modest and wise; a man, for his extraordinary beauty and divine perfections, surpassing the children of men in every sense.''

We may also note another source, copies of the following letter appear in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C (catalog card number # 56-10075), entitled a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar. This is a reprinting of an apparent letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus.

''A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.''

Nicephorus Callistus Xanthopoulos writing around 1320AD, introduced his description of the picture of Christ as brown haired and blue eye (Patrologia Graeca , cxlv. 748):

''...the healthful appearance, with the stature, the brown hair which was not very thick but somewhat curling, the black brows which were not fully arched, the sea-blue eyes shading into brown, the beautiful glance, the prominent nose, but brown beard of moderate length, and the long hair which had not been cut since childhood, the neck slightly bent, and the olive and somewhat ruddy complexion of the oval face.''

Isidore of Pelusium writing in the early 5th century described Jesus as fair or white skinned having referred to the phrase, "Thou art fairer than the children of men" in Psalms xlv. 2.

Epiphanius Monachus writing in the 8th century AD wrote Jesus was six feet tall and golden haired with ''a ruddy skin like David's''. St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite famously remarked:

''Think of those most pure eyes of Jesus, so calm, so sweet; the straightness of His nose; the somewhat chestnut-colored and at the same time golden hair and beard of His''

In the Islamic historical Hadith we also find Jesus' described as reddish, or whitish skinned:

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 607:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

''Allah's Apostle said, "On the night of my Ascension to Heaven, I saw (the prophet) Moses who was a thin person with lank hair, looking like one of the men of the tribe of Shanua; and I saw Jesus who was of average height with red face as if he had just come out of a bathroom.[/font]''

Volume 9, Book 88, Number 242:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Apostle said. "While I was sleeping, I saw myself (in a dream) performing Tawaf around the Ka'ba. Behold, I saw a reddish-white(after-bathroom face) man with lank hair, and water was dropping from his head. I asked, "Who is this?' They replied, 'The son of Mary.'

C

Cassiterides

Sorry, but those first two sources will not withstand scrutiny. The second source you are quoting from is the Archko Volume, published in 1887. Here's a critique of the text from a 1931 work.

I haven't quoted from the Archko Volume. The second quote is from an ancient letter found in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C (catalog card number # 56-10075). This appears to be a legitimate physical description as Jesus as blonde or golden haired.

The Archko Volume quote is however as follows:

I asked him to describe this person to me, so that I might know him if I should meet him. He said: 'If you ever meet him [Yeshua] you will know him. While he is nothing but a man, there is something about him that distinguishes him from every other man. He is the picture of his mother, only he has not her smooth, round face. His hair is a little more golden than hers, though it is as much from sunburn as anything else. He is tall, and his shoulders are a little drooped; his visage is thin and of a swarthy complexion, though this is from exposure. His eyes are large and a soft blue, and rather dull and heavy....' This Jew [Nazarite] is convinced that he is the Messiah of the world. ...this was the same person that was born of the virgin in Bethlehem some twenty-six years before..."

- Source: The Archko Volume, translated by Drs. McIntosh and Twyman of the Antiquarian Lodge, Genoa, Italy, from manuscripts in Constantinople and the records of the Senatorial Docket taken from the Vatican of Rome (1896) p. 92-93.

The Arcko Volume also agrees Jesus was blondish, but this source is disputed.

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Description of Jesus by Publius Lentulus, Governor of Judea, addressed to Tiberius Caesar, Emperor of Rome. Found in an excavated city written in Aramaic, on stone.

I also hate to point out that there is no such Aramaic inscription on record. :)

Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For your consideration:
Perhaps the most telling circumstantial evidence is that when Judas betrayed Jesus, he had to identify Jesus by a kiss. That was the prearranged signal Judas had given so that the guards could identify the one they wanted to apprehend. Why did Judas have to do that if Jesus stood out in a crowd with His distinguishing appearance? Because Jesus looked like any average man of His day-an ordinary looking jewish man.
Remember what Isaiah said about the Messiah - " He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him" Isa 53:2
The Gospels tell us about several occasions Jesus easily slipped away into the crowds, blending in with them nicely, when people were chasing Him trying to kill Him- Luke4:30, John8:59
Along with scripture condemning long hair we should consider Jesus' occupation or trade. He was a mans man. A carpenter, a builder. He had to cut down trees, haul rocks around, construct buildings from stone and timber. Muscular and tanned, no doubt unlike some of the depictions we see in movies and pictures of a tender, blonde, blue eyed, effeminate person with a somewhat angelic appearance. Jesus was tough and spent a lot of time outdoors. He hung out with fishermen, the kind of characters who would never respect and look up to a weakling. Jesus was a real man. The kind you would follow.

Upvote 0