✟377,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
¡Hola amigos y amigas!

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, AKA la Dia de la Battalla de Puebla, AKA Margarita Day. I've never liked tequila. Just tastes odd to me, though I've never tried the really high end stuff. But anyway, who has a good Margarita recipe? And what would be a good tequila choice at not over $30.00 for 750ml.? I also don't care much for Triple Sec, so what would be a good substitute? All replies welcome. :wave:

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟842,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
For everyday occasions where it's going to be turned into a margarita, I like Sauza just fine, which is pretty cheap.
Most of the things I'd sip straight are more than $30: Chinaco, Don Julio

If you want to aim higher than Sauza or Cuervo, if you get a good price on Gran Centenario, that might come in under budget.

Cointreau would be the luxury replacement for Triple sec, but even the small bottle will be ~$20. Since the main thing triple sec provides is sweetness, another option that's becoming readily available is agave nectar.

I tend to mix all my drinks by eyeball and inspiration. If, like me, you kinda like the bitter taste of grapefruit, I'd go with equal amounts of tequila and grapefruit juice, juice of half a lime, and agave nectar to taste (a little goes a long way).

• Informative
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟377,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For everyday occasions where it's going to be turned into a margarita, I like Sauza just fine, which is pretty cheap.
Most of the things I'd sip straight are more than $30: Chinaco, Don Julio

If you want to aim higher than Sauza or Cuervo, if you get a good price on Gran Centenario, that might come in under budget.

Cointreau would be the luxury replacement for Triple sec, but even the small bottle will be ~$20. Since the main thing triple sec provides is sweetness, another option that's becoming readily available is agave nectar.

I tend to mix all my drinks by eyeball and inspiration. If, like me, you kinda like the bitter taste of grapefruit, I'd go with equal amounts of tequila and grapefruit juice, juice of half a lime, and agave nectar to taste (a little goes a long way).

Hadn't thought about grapefruit. That should cut the sweetness, which is what I don't like about most all of the restaurant Margaritas I've had. Thanks for the tip. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0