Our holyday of Tu B'Shevat! (and my date-cake-in-a-can recipe!)

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

This Shabbat (the Sabbath, i.e. from dusk Friday until nightfall Saturday) is our holyday of Tu B'Shevat.

Tu B'Shevat, the 15th day of the Jewish month of Shevat, is a
holiday also known as the New Year for Trees. The word "Tu"
is not really a word; it is the number 15 in Hebrew, as if you
were to call the Fourth of July "Iv July" (IV being 4 in Roman
numerals). See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about
using letters as numbers and why the number 15 is written this
way.

As I mentioned in Rosh Hashanah, Judaism has several different
"new years." This is not as strange a concept as it sounds at first blush; in America,
we have the calendar year (January-December), the school year (September-June),
and many businesses have fiscal years. It's basically the same idea with the various
Jewish new years.

Tu B'Shevat is the new year for the purpose of calculating the age of trees for
tithing. See Lev. 19:23-25, which states that fruit from trees may not be eaten
during the first three years; the fourth year's fruit is for G-d, and after that, you can
eat the fruit. Each tree is considered to have aged one year as of Tu B'Shevat, so if
you planted a tree on Shevat 14, it begins it second year the next day, but if you
plant a tree two days later, on Shevat 16, it does not reach its second year until the
next Tu B'Shevat.

Tu B'Shevat is not mentioned in the Torah. I have found only one reference to it in
the Mishnah, and the only thing said there is that it is the new year for trees, and
there is a dispute as to the proper date for the holiday (Beit Shammai said the
proper day was the first of Shevat; Beit Hillel said the proper day was the 15th of
Shevat. As usual, we follow Beit Hillel. For more on Hillel and Shammai, see Sages
and Scholars).

There are few customs or observances related to this holiday. One custom is to eat
a new fruit on this day. Some people plant trees on this day. A lot of Jewish children
go around collecting money for trees for Israel at this time of year.

(The link for the above is: http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday8.htm )

Agriculture & the cultivation of the Land of Israel are very basic concepts in Judaism. Our Sages say that if you are planting a tree & you hear that the Messiah has come, you should first finish planting the tree and then go greet the Messiah.

I always bake date-cake-in-a-can for Tu B'Shevat. Here's the recipe (which I received from a very good Christian friend of mine):

Take a 500 gram package of pitted dates (you should be able to get this in any large healthfood store, any kosher grocery/supermarket that has imported stuff from Israel, or any Middle Eastern/Arab grocery/supermarket) & put the contents (cut up into small pieces) into a pyrex bowl. Add 2.25 cups of boiling water & 3 teaspoons of baking soda. Mix well & set aside to cool. Cream 9 tablespoons of butter/margarine, 3 eggs and no more than 1/2-2/3 cups of light brown sugar. Add the cooled date mush to the creamed mixture & then add: 3 cups of wholewheat flour (if you can get wholewheat pastry flour or a lighter grind of wholewheat flour, use them), 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder, 1.5 teaspoons of real vanilla essence (Please! Don't insult either Tu B'Shevat or me by using artificially flavored vanilla essence!) and 1-1.5 cups of chopped walnuts. Mix well. Now the fun part: Take about 6 regular sized cans (the kind that have peas, peas-and-carrots, green beans, asparagus spears, mushrooms, etc.; do NOT use cans that had anything pickled in them or cans where the label is embossed right onto the metal of the can; you'll need cans with a paper label that you'll have peeled off; do NOT use very large cans or the dough will not set) & stand each one upright. Fill each can about 2/3 of the way with dough & bake them standing upright in the oven, at whatever temperature you normally bake stuff. When the cans are done, the cake will have risen a bit out of the open can & the exposed part of the cake will be fairly dark. The cake will have separated a bit from the sides of the cans. Take the cans out (using either an oven mitt to grasp them with or pliers) & set them aside to cool. When the cans have cooled to room temperature, take a can opener & open the bottom of the cans. Push the cut can bottom through the can, thus forcing the cake out the open end. Slice & serve neat little disks of cake! Bon appetit!

Be well!

ssv :wave:

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

I forgot to add regarding the cake, that since it bakes inside a can & very little of its surface area is directly exposed to the hot air in the oven, the cake comes very moist. I tried making this cake in a regular baking pan once & it was not the same.

Be well!

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by s0uljah
I can boil water, thats about it. Doh.

I guess we know who cooks in your family then eh? ;)

You must not be Italian eh? It's been proven to be an inheritable trait amongst Italians (cooking that is).

Sorry to hijack the thread SSV, I'll stop now. :)

Upvote 0

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

NYJ posted:

You must not be Italian eh? It's been proven to be an inheritable trait amongst Italians (cooking that is).

See, that's why Jews & Italians have always gotten along so well (even our gangsters, Lucky Luciano & Frank Costello were pals and partners with Meyer Lansky & Bugsy Siegel): We take food (cooking it & eating it) VERY seriously! French food is rarefied, a work of art, etc. but it doesn't fill you up! If you go to a Jewish or Italian wedding/function, a good one, you'll need a crane to lift you from the table. We have friends here in Jerusalem, the husband is from Philadelphia & his wife is from Rome (her father is the former Chief Rabbi of Venice & was deputy Chief Rabbi in Rome for a long while). That's right, she's Italian AND Jewish and boy-o-boy, can she COOK!!:yum: :yum:

Be well!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kikayon

Amazed by His grace!
Jan 13, 2003
On the other side of the Pond
Visit site
✟7,733.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by s0uljah
Hey!

Us Irish/Scottish folks take food seriously too!

I'll treat you to my favourite traditional Irish recipe; the Ulster Fry. It's normally eaten at breakfast, but the "all day fry" is available in many cafes...well...all day.

Ingredients:

2 eggs, 2 rashers of back bacon, 2 big fat pork sausages, 1 tomato (sliced), several mushrooms, potato bread, soda bread.

Destructions: Get a big frying pan. Put some oil in and heat. Then get all the ingredients and throw them in, and fry until ready.

It's not very good for you, but it sure is popular in these parts. :)

Upvote 0