Ora et Labora - 19 year old Protestant spends a year at Benedictine Monastery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.goanacortes.com/articles/2006/09/13/news/news01.txt

The Simple Life
BY ELAINE WALKER, News editor
news01.jpg
Mother Hildegard George, the guest hostess at Our Lady of the Rock Monastery on Shaw Island, poses with Tillie Morrison outside St. Joseph’s, the monastery’s guest house. Morrison, a 2005 graduate of Anacortes High School, spent a year as an intern for the Benedictine nuns. (Photo by Elaine Walker)AHS grad Tillie Morrison embraces service, solitude as intern with Shaw Island nuns

Tillie Morrison wanted to do something different after high school — something that made a difference.

So, while her friends headed to college, started jobs or backpacked across Europe, the 19-year-old embarked on a year of quiet contemplation and service on Shaw Island, where she tends cattle, sheep, alpacas and llamas for Benedictine nuns at Our Lady of the Rock monastery.

“I love it here. It’s so wonderful,” Morrison said. “I’ve learned everything. I don’t know where to begin. Animal husbandry — more than I could possibly imagine.”

A lifelong Anacortes resident, Morrison is interested in veterinary science but had no experience with livestock.

“It was nerve-racking at first because I didn’t realize how big cattle were,” she said.

Now she feeds and milks cows daily and provided other hands-on help. http://adsys.townnews.com/c14266470...ews+middle/682.gif?r=http://www.skagitbiz.com“I went through lambing and I pulled a llama out of the mother,” Morrison said, her eyes wide at the memory.

The experience has given her insight into more than livestock.

“I’ve learned a lot about myself,” she said. “I think I can push myself to do more than I thought I could.”

“She’s really had to reach down into herself,” agreed Morrison’s mother, Debbie Moore.

Morrison learned about the monastery from an article in “At Home” magazine.
news01-2.jpg
Farmland and the dirt road to Our Lady of the Rock Monastery stretch behind Tillie Morrison as she feeds bread to a friendly Highland calf. During her year as an intern at the monastery’s 300-acre farm, she tended sheep and llamas, milked cows and worked in the garden. (Photo by Elaine Walker)“My mom was looking through it. She knew I didn’t want to go to college right away,” Morrison said.

“Tillie herself wanted to do something that was meaningful, service oriented,” Moore said. “Through kismet we found out about the Benedictines on Shaw.”

Morrison, who is not Catholic, was impressed by the idea of eight women running a 300-acre farm. After her graduation from Anacortes High School in 2005, she met with the nuns and was accepted as an intern with their Land Program. When she committed to staying a year, her friends were surprised.

“At first my friends were, ‘You’re going to go live with nuns?,’” she said.

“I’m not actually living with them...,” she explained. “It’s cloistered. I can’t go beyond that wall.”

The nuns’ home is surrounded by a tall rail fence. A log wall separates their quarters from the chapel, and a barrier across the middle of the chapel signals their separation from the world.

The nuns are not fully cloistered and interact with others. For the first few months Morrison kept quiet in fear of offending them.

“At first I didn’t know what to say,” she said. “It took me six months to realize they were normal people. They say normal things and do normal things. They’re all just making jokes, being funny.”

She was highly amused by the sight of nuns driving tractors. She loves shopping with the mothers at Food Pavilion or Costco and watching people do double-takes.

“The habit, it’s like a mind barrier to most people,” she said.

The order’s precepts include work, worship, hospitality and stewardship.

“They believe in prayer through work,” Morrison said.

They stop to pray eight times a day — “Eight services with Gregorian chant,” she said. “They work then they pray, then they work then they pray.”

Morrison works for room and board. She lives quietly at the monastery’s guest house, St. Joseph’s.

“There’s no TV, no radio, no newspapers unless I buy them,” she said. “There’s no McDonald’s, no Burger King. It’s just forest with people living here.”

“She’s lived a very minimalist, simple life,” Moore said. “She’s read more books than she’s probably read in her entire life.”

Life is quiet, but never boring. Usually there’s a loose animal to catch or something else to do.

“I love it. There’s always something happening,” she said.

Morrison enjoys long walks in the forest. She occasionally visits her parents in Anacortes or catches a movie at Friday Harbor. Before the internship, she volunteered with Key Club but never held a regular job.

“It’s my first real job and it’s really eye-opening,” she said.

Morrison learned how healthy animals behave and what to do if something’s wrong. She enjoyed it, even through 45 straight days of rain last winter. She said the work won’t wait.

“The animals are still hungry, even if it’s freezing cold,” she said.

Morrison watched a guest milk cows for a few weeks, then asked to be taught. She said it seems odd, but she enjoys milking.

“It’s not exciting, like, ‘Woo! I’m going to milk a cow.’ It’s really meditative and calming and a good way to end your day,” she said.

The nuns make cheese and butter from the milk. Mother Prioress delivers milk on the island.

The nuns are devoted to preserving minor breeds such as Kerry cattle, Scottish Highland cattle and Cotswold sheep. They also have alpacas, fiber-producing llamas and gentle male llamas for 4-H projects. Morrison said alpaca fleece is particularly soft.

“Mother Hildegard shears them. I learned to spin from Mother Mary Grace,” she said.

The mothers divide responsibilities: Mother Prioress heads the monastery and specializes in chickens and cows. Mother Martina does laundry. Mother Caterina cooks. Mother Dilecta milks cows and gardens. Mother Felicitas tends the herb garden and makes herbal products. Mother Mary Grace makes habits and Mother Ruth cares for some of them. Mother Hildegard George is guest hostess and tends sheep, alpacas and llamas.

Morrison works in the vegetable and herb gardens, helps bottle herbs and works with the sheep. She has Saturday afternoons and Sundays off, but must milk every day except Thursday.

The nuns raise most of their own food, including poultry, vegetables and herbs. They sell handmade items from a corner of St. Joseph’s and at Shaw Island’s Christmas bazaar to help support the monastery. They sell fleece from llamas and alpacas and raw fleeces, battings, spun wool and hides from Cotswold sheep. They also offer homemade items such as jewelry, candy mustard, herbal tea and vinegar, and Gregorian chant CDs.

Morrison attends Mass six mornings a week.

“I don’t think she’d even been to a Catholic service before she arrived on Shaw,” Moore said.

At first she didn’t know what the Latin service meant, but the nuns made her feel welcome.

“They don’t make you feel like an outsider,” Morrison said.

One of the mothers explained that they don’t bring strife into the chapel.

“If there’s something chaotic going on they just leave it at the door. They’re just there to pray,” Morrison said.

Since Our Lady of the Rock was founded in 1977, interns have come from around the world. Mother Hildegard said Morrison has been outstanding.

“In 30 years, she’s probably up there in the top three or four,” she said.

Eager to learn and eager to correct her mistakes, Morrison gets along with everyone, from young 4-H members to the island’s senior citizens, Mother Hildegard said.

“She has great enthusiasm for life, which is very refreshing...,” she said. “She has a wonderful, cheerful outlook. I told her mom she’ll be successful at whatever she does.”

This weekend Morrison finishes her internship by taking six sheep to the Evergreen State Fair with Mother Hildegard. The nuns will be sorry to see her go.

“We’re going to really miss her,” Mother Hildegard said.

Moore said her daughter feels the same way.

“She adores the mothers that live at Our Lady of the Rock. Just adores them,” she said. “They have been good to her and she has been very good to them.”

Morrison plans to attend Skagit Valley College and eventually WSU. She said returning to Anacortes will be a big adjustment.

“It’s going to be a culture shock in a way. It’s like fast-paced,” she said.

She has appreciated her glimpse into another world.

“I feel like I’ve stepped back in time,” she said. “It’s really nice. I like to walk. I like to breathe in the peace. That’s what I’ll miss most. That and the mothers.”

Reactions: PassthePeace1

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I forgot about these "guys"!!

One of the coolest things a couple years ago was to take a ferry ride to this island and see the ferry worker on the island as we approached in a habit!

:bow:

I thought I was seeing things at first. Having an apparition or something...

^_^ :thumbsup:

Greg

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Benedictine life offers the sceptic and even the non-believer a very realistic and beautiful view of the Catholic faith. I hope that this young girl's eyes were open to the truth of authentic Christian living. Even if the article does not mention a desire to convert, I hope that the Lord will continue to work within her heart to inspire her to come home.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,132,606.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Benedictine life offers the sceptic and even the non-believer a very realistic and beautiful view of the Catholic faith. I hope that this young girl's eyes were open to the truth of authentic Christian living. Even if the article does not mention a desire to convert, I hope that the Lord will continue to work within her heart to inspire her to come home.

I agree. :) :crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.