Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is Week Two of the reading group we started last week. Anyone who is interested is invited to join in!

This week, we're reading Chapters 3 & 4, which for those of you using a book of your own would be Sections 11-25. Feel free to discuss prior chapters, as well.

So how are you all liking it so far? Getting into the whole Patristics thing now that we have a group together?

A couple of generic questions that you may choose to answer (or not) if you so desire:

~ In your own words, what is Athanasius saying in Chapter 3 (and previous, if relevant)? In Chapter 4?

~ What strikes you most about the reading so far? Is there a particular passage, idea, or method that interests you?

NewToLife

Senior Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
London
✟11,839.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The thing that is most striking to me so far is that St Athanasius view of the death of Christ seems markedly different from the view held by many modern Christians. St Athanasius seems very clear indeed that Jesus died to save us from death and that His death is not the focal point in the story, that lies in the resurrection. I was interested that St Athanasius argues that the manner of Christ's death was public execution primarily in order that that no doubt can be cast on His resurrection and power over all death. St Athanasius does not seem to see Christ's death as a sacrifice to remove sin so much as a sacrifice to death made to clear a debt we owed and to demonstrate through the resurrection that death's hold on us is now broken.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Willtor's Summary:

Men had all but ceased to look upon the things that God had given them to remind them of Him. As a consequence, the divine Image was ever more corrupted. But if God were to permit man to continue to fall, indefinitely, it would have been better if He had never created him. So He sent His Word, the perfect Image, to come and be an image for men, and to show them that He was in every way greater than the things they had turned to worship. Athanasius treats many such things in turn.

Secondly, creatures that bear the Image of God have no need of death. So the Word sacrificed his own "temple" to pay the debt of death and totally abolished it. Athanasius then argues against objections to the necessity of death or the type of death by which Christ died. In particular, he emphasizes the need for a public death, and a death inflicted by His enemies, on account of the believability of the resurrection, and as a demonstration of His strength, respectively.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟38,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's try to summarize what we have read up to now.
(I've re-written this post many times..I hope to have been clear)

The man in the garden before the fall is subject to two different forces:
- the physical nature, that lead the man to the physical death
- the inner nature of the man, the being in image and likeness of God, that keeps the man alive and near God
This situation is in balance

(Ref §5 they were by nature subject to corruption, the grace of their union with the Word made them capable of escaping from the natural law, provided that they 'retained the beauty of innocence with which they were created. That is to say, the presence of the Word with them shielded them even from natural corruption)

The fall is seen as the man to became more and more unwholesum (corrupt), and so the balancing situation of the Garden became unbalanced (towards death).
This is not seen as a point, but as a process, where the more the man became un-moral, the more the presence of God becames far, and the more the man becames slave of the death
(Ref §5 they [the men] had gone on gradually from bad to worse, not stopping at any one kind of evil, but continually, as with insatiable appetite, devising new kinds of sins.)

Now the intervention of Christ:
Christ's incarnation for Athanasius has TWO different aims (that is very important):
a) to restore the situation before the fall: to win the death (§8-10)
b) to gift the man a situation even better than the the one before the fall: restoring the man in being fully in image and likeness of God (this is seen as a new creation) (§11-16)

(Ref: a) §9 For naturally, since the Word of God was above all, when He offered His own temple and bodily instrument as a substitute for the life of all, He fulfilled in death all that was required. b) §13 The Word of God came in His own Person, because it was He alone, the Image of the Father, Who could recreate man made after the Image. )

We see that these two aims are painted by Athanasius in a different way:
a) the restore the situation before the fall, is seen as a Sacrifice of Christ
b) to gift the man a better situation, is seen as a New-Creation: the balanced situation before the fall has been un-balanced by Christ gifting us the True Image of the Father

After having painted these two aims, Athanasius has a parenthesis (my poor English..) stating that Christ is truely God (§17-19). I think that here his target are the pagans reading this book.

Later he goes in detail abou the two previous aims of the Incarnation.

In §20-25 the main subject is the death (aim a)).
Here we found a very strange statement for us, but perfectly in line with the balanced situation in the Garden between death and presence of God.
§ 20 The body of the Word, then, being a real human body, in spite of its having been uniquely formed from a virgin, was of itself mortal and, like other bodies, liable to death.
Once that Christ was incarnated, He HAD to die anyway!!!
He could choice the way to die: the cross or by age (see the following §s), but He had to die.
This is very unusual for us. Many people believe that the death entered in the world with the fall. That is not for Athanasius: Chirst Himself, who never sinned and was not subject to the fall, He Himself had to die because He was (also) a True Man.
That because Christ, before the Ressurection, was in the same situation of Adam: without sin, but subject to the nature of the man that is mortal.
It is only with the Ressurection, getting the aim b), that the situation of the man will change radically.

Reactions: PassthePeace1
Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In §20-25 the main subject is the death (aim a)).
Here we found a very strange statement for us, but perfectly in line with the balanced situation in the Garden between death and presence of God.
§ 20 The body of the Word, then, being a real human body, in spite of its having been uniquely formed from a virgin, was of itself mortal and, like other bodies, liable to death.
Once that Christ was incarnated, He HAD to die anyway!!!
He could choice the way to die: the cross or by age (see the following §s), but He had to die.
This is very unusual for us. Many people believe that the death entered in the world with the fall. That is not for Athanasius: Chirst Himself, who never sinned and was not subject to the fall, He Himself had to die because He was (also) a True Man.
That because Christ, before the Ressurection, was in the same situation of Adam: without sin, but subject to the nature of the man that is mortal.
It is only with the Ressurection, getting the aim b), that the situation of the man will change radically.

Thanks for you post. Would you expand on your thought alittle more on why Christ had to die anyway? Because I always thought that it was the corruptible nature from the fall that was the reason for death.

Thanks in advance....Peace be with you...Pam

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟38,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for you post. Would you expand on your thought alittle more on why Christ had to die anyway? Because I always thought that it was the corruptible nature from the fall that was the reason for death.

Thanks in advance....Peace be with you...Pam

Well, in fact I pointed out this sentence of St Athanasius because it is VERY unsusal for us.
Anyway the same understanding can be found ad instance in St Ephaim.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

The result of the fall is seen as the "sweat of your face", not the "to dust you shall return.", and this because Genesis explains that the "to dust you shall return." is due to the "for out of the [ground] you were taken" that typical ALSO of the man before the fall (Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground)

So the "to dust you shall return." is not negative for itsself, nor it is a sign of sin.
And anyway it would be deleyed in the time as far as the man would have been "in the Presence of God" (=without sin)
(Ref St Athanasius §5 they were by nature subject to corruption, the grace of their union with the Word made them capable of escaping from the natural law, provided that they 'retained the beauty of innocence with which they were created. That is to say, the presence of the Word with them shielded them even from natural corruption)

The ECFs saw as further proof of that the reduction of the years lifed by the patriarch. The situation in the Garden was the fullness (1000). Adam fell and so lived only 930 years (something less than 1000), Set lived 912 years (= the man went on in the sin, as St Athanaius stated at §5), Enos only 905 years, and so on.

PS: That is what I've found in this book and in similar ones of the same age, I cannot say if this is a teaching the catholic faith (probably yes, but I'm an engineer, not a theologician).
Here St Thomas of Aquinas: But God, to Whom every nature is subject, in forming man supplied the defect of nature, and by the gift of original justice, gave the body a certain incorruptibility. (I(2) 85-6 end of paragraph).
This sentence is very similar to the above St Athanisus sentence: the original justice (beauty of innocence, grace, presence of God) balanced, before the fall, the defect of nature (natural law, death, return to dust).
Of course with the fall the sin of the man broke this balance, and so the defect of nature became the ordinary situation: only in this way we can say that the death entered in the world with the sin.

Of course Christ, the second Adam, entered in this world in the situation of Adam before the fall (and Mary as Eve before the fall).

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, in fact I pointed out this sentence of St Athanasius because it is VERY unsusal for us.
Anyway the same understanding can be found ad instance in St Ephaim.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

The result of the fall is seen as the "sweat of your face", not the "to dust you shall return.", and this because Genesis explains that the "to dust you shall return." is due to the "for out of the [ground] you were taken" that typical ALSO of the man before the fall (Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground)

So the "to dust you shall return." is not negative for itsself, nor it is a sign of sin.
And anyway it would be deleyed in the time as far as the man would have been "in the Presence of God" (=without sin)
(Ref St Athanasius §5 they were by nature subject to corruption, the grace of their union with the Word made them capable of escaping from the natural law, provided that they 'retained the beauty of innocence with which they were created. That is to say, the presence of the Word with them shielded them even from natural corruption)

The ECFs saw as further proof of that the reduction of the years lifed by the patriarch. The situation in the Garden was the fullness (1000). Adam fell and so lived only 930 years (something less than 1000), Set lived 912 years (= the man went on in the sin, as St Athanaius stated at §5), Enos only 905 years, and so on.

PS: That is what I've found in this book and in similar ones of the same age, I cannot say if this is a teaching the catholic faith (probably yes, but I'm an engineer, not a theologician).
Here St Thomas of Aquinas: But God, to Whom every nature is subject, in forming man supplied the defect of nature, and by the gift of original justice, gave the body a certain incorruptibility. (I(2) 85-6 end of paragraph).
This sentence is very similar to the above St Athanisus sentence: the original justice (beauty of innocence, grace, presence of God) balanced, before the fall, the defect of nature (natural law, death, return to dust).
Of course with the fall the sin of the man broke this balance, and so the defect of nature became the ordinary situation: only in this way we can say that the death entered in the world with the sin.

Of course Christ, the second Adam, entered in this world in the situation of Adam before the fall (and Mary as Eve before the fall).

Thanks so much for responding to my question. I find this subject very interesting, and need to give it somemore thought.

I will be taking a break from CF during Holy Week, however I will be following this thread and the one that splits....as a guest, because I don't want to get behind. I think what I will do, is take notes the old fashion way, and post them when I return.

During Holy Week, I want to direct all of my engeries on spiritual readings, such as the one where are discussing here, scripture, and contemplating on the Passion of Christ.

Peace be with you....Pam

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums