United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What's your view on open carry?
It's legal in my state, but I don't understand the need for it.
It's likely to freak some people out, you'll probably get harassed by the police,
and to me it's like painting a big sign on yourself saying "shoot me first" if
you are ever in an active shooter situation.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟840,111.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi dear friend!

I agree. Here in Canada, the only reasons for open carry other than working as a military, law enforcement, or security person, are for those who are working in an environment where there is dangerous game; bear, wolves, cougars etc. and trappers (max. .22 I think), with a valid licensed trap line. In both cases, application has to be made, and there will be restrictions as to physical locations as to where one may do so on the license; other conditions may be added as well at the discretion of the Chief Firearms Officer's discretion.

Everyone is on the same playing field, and it works really, really well here.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Open carry threads can get very heated rather quickly on secular sites due to some very strong opinions. I can see the arguments for either side and think I am pretty much in the middle. Hopefully as brothers and sisters in Christ, we can disagree respectfully and gently...

I'll be open carrying today since I'll be in the woods on my ATV. Likely be my M&P40 full-size in a Bianchi military flap holster. I'll put in on when I get dressed and have the pistol on my hip when I go to get gas and stop by the grocery store for lunch supplies.

I have been approaching that standard of practice for my entire life. I don't open carry on purpose when in town, but if I'm making a quick stop, I don't go to the trouble of removing my firearm just so I don't upset some special snowflake.

But I live on the border of Eastern Washington and Idaho. Even though it's the most liberal county in Idaho due to the University of Idaho, there are still mostly conservative and rural folks around. I've never had a negative experience while having my gun on my hip. Except in Iowa. Iowa is freaking weird... Lived there for a few years as my ex is from there. Will never, ever set foot in that state again.

Now, most discussions of open carry contain the extreme examples of the activists who strap an AR-15 to their back while wearing fatigues and walk into Starbucks. Or they attend protests in full militia kit. Yes, that is their constitutional right. Are they helping or hurting their cause? They are scaring non-gun people and shocking them. They are also bringing attention to the subject of the 2nd amendment, but I think it is mostly negative attention. I think their intentions are good, but the results of their activism are mostly negative.

That's my take on open carry; I carry conceal most of the time because I think it is better to not bring unwanted attention to myself.

But I will open carry when it's convenient and brief; not into making a political statement.

Quick story... I had just moved from Iowa to Arizona in 2006. We settled in a reasonably sized town called Prescott Valley. Mostly a conservative area with a lot of ranching in the area.

I walked into the Taco Bell one day and as I was waiting in line, I noticed two older gentlemen in their 60's looking like they had just walked out of an 1800's saloon. They were in full cowboy garb complete with six-guns on their hips. Turns out there was a cowboy action shooting competition going on that weekend and they were taking a break.

Nobody called the cops, nobody paid them any attention, and there was no drama. I remember thinking that I was going to like it in Arizona...

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I see no reason for open carry in a public place, other than to draw attention to yourself. I tend to steer clear of folks like that, even though I'm carrying concealed.

Open carry while you're out in the woods or hunting makes much more sense.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟295,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes you may want attention...

My dad was a doctor, and his car was repeatedly broken into by addicts looking for drugs. My two older brothers open-carried guns at home during the day, and on the house roof at night, in plain sight. After a few days, word got around the neighborhood, and...no more break-ins.

Myself, I like to be inconspicuous, so I carry concealed.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I see a lot of open carry in my area. I'm personally not bothered by it. Shirts are tucked in and the pistol is always in a secured holster from what I've seen. Now marching down the middle of the road with an AR15 is something I have yet to witness.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's a couple schools of thought on that, and they both have a certain amount of merit worth considering.

The arguments for open:
In the case of over 97% of "defensive gun uses" (the statistic showing how many times a gun is lawfully used in a defensive manner), no shots are even fired and the perp is scared off by the mere presence of an armed person. (Obviously most petty crooks don't have a death wish, and if they think there's a 50/50 chance they might get killed, they're going to bail...not stay and get in a shootout).

So, with that in mind, the idea behind it is that since it's the presence of the risk that deters the bad guy, having one or more people visibly armed in a store would be all the bad guy would need to see to think better of it and say "uh, maybe I'll just go home instead"...essentially, stopping it before it even becomes a situation.

The arguments against it:
In circumstances where it's only one good guy, and multiple assailants, you're at a disadvantage because if they are going to start shooting, you just made it to the top of the target list...they're going to take you out first because they view you as the top threat.

You lose the element of surprise, if an armed gunman rushes the store with his gun already drawn, and sees that you're armed, he's now watching you like a hawk and any move on your part to reach for it is likely going to be risky since the person's now jumpy. As to where, if you're carrying concealed, they're unlikely to pay any special attention to you and focus more on the cashier or their task at hand, which gives you an opportunity to draw when their back is turned.

There are a couple of good videos showing it in practice (I can't post them here due to forum rules because they show people getting shot), but there's a definite tactical advantage to just blending into the crowd until the time is right.

So, with that being said, there's arguments both ways, and there's not one right answer since situations could be different. If you're with a group of 5 or 6 other people and you're all open carrying...sure, that's going to likely stop any situation from occurring in the first place...no mugger or pair of muggers is going to want to take on those odds and they're going to bail...however, if it's just you by yourself, and there's a pair of muggers and they barge into the store with their guns drawn, you openly carrying is likely a detriment because you're the center of attention.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In my country you would be arrested on spot as carrying any weapon either open or concealed is a criminal offence.
I think in volatile countries carrying a weapon isn't a bad idea, however open carrying is inviting trouble I think.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my country you would be arrested on spot as carrying any weapon either open or concealed is a criminal offence.
I think in volatile countries carrying a weapon isn't a bad idea, however open carrying is inviting trouble I think.

I thank God every day I live in a country where freedom is valued and guaranteed by the Constitution. Even if more and more areas are enamored by the European vision of suppressing those rights, I still have the freedom to live somewhere I am free to defend myself against tyranny.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟295,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My state (Virginia) allows anyone who can own a gun to open-carry it almost anywhere, with no permit required. It's not unusual to see people doing so (handguns in holsters) at Wal-Mart and similar places, and some of the carriers are women.

No problem here, but it probably shocks the visitors from New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Massachusetts (we have a lot of them).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't open carry in public in populated areas. Only in the woods or on property, etc. In a shooting situation, the guy with a gun on his hip will be the first one shot. Having it concealed gives me the advantage that no one knows I'm carrying.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I try to never advertise that I am carrying a gun. I don't open carry, and I don't plaster stickers all over my car to indicate I'm a gun owner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Open carry is legal in my state as well however, as has been mentioned, I think it is silly in most situations. I live in the desert southwest and sometimes when I'm out where four legged predators are more common than two legged predators, I will open carry. When I'm in public the last thing I want to do is advertise that I'm carrying a gun either by open carrying a gun, wearing a "GLOCK Shooting Sports" t-shirt, or having NRA bumper stickers.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Open carry is legal in my state as well however, as has been mentioned, I think it is silly in most situations. I live in the desert southwest and sometimes when I'm out where four legged predators are more common than two legged predators, I will open carry. When I'm in public the last thing I want to do is advertise that I'm carrying a gun either by open carrying a gun, wearing a "GLOCK Shooting Sports" t-shirt, or having NRA bumper stickers.
I agree. Open carry is legal here, but in all the time I've lived here (a LONG time), I've only seen one person do it.
I also don't wear clothing, or put stickers on my car, or do any other indication that I have fire arms.

Upvote 0

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've heard of open carriers being targeted and robbed of the guns they were prominently carrying. If someone gets the jump on you, it can happen.

Maybe you've heard of it, but how many criminals do you think try to rob someone they know is armed? Predators prey on the weak.

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟295,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe you've heard of it, but how many criminals do you think try to rob someone they know is armed? Predators prey on the weak.

True, but inattentiveness and lack of situational awareness is stronger than carrying a gun...

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

I watch a video of a smaller stature gang member threaten other larger stature gang members by walking past them and flashing the gun tucked in his waistband. Seconds later with his back turned several of them came up behind him, beat him to the ground, took the gun tucked in his waistband, and then proceeded to shoot and kill him with his own gun. I don't want to appear weak but I also don't want to be on anyone's radar. In the final analysis if I happened to be preyed upon I want every advantage at my disposal which includes a concealed handgun that no one knows I have. Further, if the concealed carry is well trained the last thing the predator will think during the final moments of his own personal shock and awe is, "I just messed with the wrong dude(tte)."

Last edited:
Upvote 0