"One Holy Catholic and Apostolic"

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Is this forum for all Apostolic Churches or for all Liturgical churches? Do we have a set thing of the churches that qualify here?

Here is PaladinValer's idea:

For a church or body to be considered Apostolic by this congregational forum, it must:
It must proclaim an adherence to the authority of Holy Tradition
It must proclaim the necessity to have Apostolic Succession
It must proclaim a sacramental/mystical system of Grace
It must have an episcopal polity of church governance
It must have a traditional interpretation of the Nicene Creed (ie: Baptism for the forgiveness/remission of sins is seen literally, and is not up for contradictory reinterpretation
This would include the "Vatican" Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, the various Old Catholic churches, and many of the various Continuing Anglican churches. This list is in no particular order.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Here is PaladinValer's idea:

For a church or body to be considered Apostolic by this congregational forum, it must:
It must proclaim an adherence to the authority of Holy Tradition
It must proclaim the necessity to have Apostolic Succession
It must proclaim a sacramental/mystical system of Grace
It must have an episcopal polity of church governance
It must have a traditional interpretation of the Nicene Creed (ie: Baptism for the forgiveness/remission of sins is seen literally, and is not up for contradictory reinterpretation
This would include the "Vatican" Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, the various Old Catholic churches, and many of the various Continuing Anglican churches. This list is in no particular order.

Just for clarification, is the aim of this congregational forum to unite those who view their church as meeting those criteria? i.e. whilst I am an Anglican and the Anglican Church meets those criteria, in the eyes of some, I personally adhere to only two or possibly three of those criteria. Would I be allowed to post because of my Church affiliation or prevented from posting because of my individual views?:help:

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a real problem with the name of this forum. Not sure where to bring it up, and don't know when/how/why this forum was started......

The name of this forum will cause confusion, because I would consider myself an Apostolic believer though I'm not (anymore) liturgical - and to boot, there is a denomination called Apostolic that is nowhere near Catholic or Anglican or Orthodox......

from Wikipedia:
The majority, if not all, of Oneness Pentecostals also refer to themselves as Apostolics.
That is true, I know, but I got that from the article on Pentecostalism. Also please see the Wikipedia article on the Apostolic Church.

Mods, I'm reasonably sure I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I don't know where to put it. I would take no exception to its being moved, as long as I'm informed as to where it's being moved to, and as long as I'm assured that it's being taken into consideration.

blessings in Jesus
tal

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you guys think of nicknaming this forum, "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic" or "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" or some variation of those words in the Creed?
I think the implications of that name are too strong. It projects a stronger-than-real sense of unity, and excludes those who aren't considered apostolic in this forum, from being in the one church. I think for those reasons it would not be a good idea . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have a real problem with the name of this forum. Not sure where to bring it up, and don't know when/how/why this forum was started......

The name of this forum will cause confusion, because I would consider myself an Apostolic believer though I'm not (anymore) liturgical - and to boot, there is a denomination called Apostolic that is nowhere near Catholic or Anglican or Orthodox......

from Wikipedia:

That is true, I know, but I got that from the article on Pentecostalism. Also please see the Wikipedia article on the Apostolic Church.

Mods, I'm reasonably sure I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I don't know where to put it. I would take no exception to its being moved, as long as I'm informed as to where it's being moved to, and as long as I'm assured that it's being taken into consideration.

blessings in Jesus
tal
"Apostolic" refers to the Apostolic Succession that these churches claim. Apostolic succession is the unbroken line of bishops that go back to the First century church. The churches of this forum (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Utrecht Catholic) are all descended from the same pre-schimed church. The purpose of the forum is not to deride churches that do not claim this lineage, but rather to provide for a deeper fellowship among these "apostolic" churches and to discuss our commonalities.

Reactions: geocajun
Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Apostolic" refers to the Apostolic Succession that these churches claim. Apostolic succession is the unbroken line of bishops that go back to the First century church. The churches of this forum (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Utrecht Catholic) are all descended from the same pre-schimed church. The purpose of the forum is not to deride churches that do not claim this lineage, but rather to provide for a deeper fellowship among these "apostolic" churches and to discuss our commonalities.
well said

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you read my post, Radix? There is a denomination called Apostolic. It is a Pentecostal denomination, not a Liturgical denomination. The title of this forum is what I object to, not the forum itself.
When that denomination uses the adjective, it means something different than when we use it, thats all.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
geocajun, where would be a more appropriate place to voice my concerns? (do you understand them?)
I definately understand. I think there is some discussion here about renaming the forum. Remember, this is a community driven forum, so if you can convince others it needs to be changed, then it will be done.

Upvote 0

RadixLecti

Mar 14, 2006
✟16,213.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Did you read my post, Radix? There is a denomination called Apostolic. It is a Pentecostal denomination, not a Liturgical denomination. The title of this forum is what I object to, not the forum itself.
I'm just trying to explain what we mean when we say "apostolic." There are many "liturgical" churches that are not "apostolic". Apostolic refers to the way these churches originated i.e their common ancestry. I am familiar with the denomination you're speaking of.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I definately understand. I think there is some discussion here about renaming the forum. Remember, this is a community driven forum, so if you can convince others it needs to be changed, then it will be done.
I mean, is there a place on CF to bring up this sort of thing? I just sort of found this new area by fluke.

Upvote 0