Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have some exciting news:

Aaron posted on July 13, 2003, that he saw the Holy Napkin of Edessa at the Houston Museum of Natural Science,

Aaron-Aggie said:
Its also going to be at these museums

Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale, FL
(August 23 - November 23, 2003)
Cincinnati Museum Center, Cincinnati, OH
(December 20, 2003 - April 18, 2004)
San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, CA
(May 16 - September 6, 2004)

The Holy Icon Not Made By Hands is now part of the Vatican Collection that is currently on tour in America.

mandylion_zoom.jpg

Aaron-Aggie said:
The coolest thing though was the Mandylion of Edessa which is one of the oldest pictures of the face of Jesus.

My Dearest Brothers and Sisters: Christ is in our midsts!

I was wondering where the Holy Napkin or the Icon Not made by Hand went! The Orthodox venerated that Icon until it vanished at the time of the Crusades. At least it is not lost. Thank God. Praise the Lord. I wonder what else the Vatican has?

Do you know the story behind this holy Icon?

The King of Edessa had leprosy--sent his artist to paint Christ -- artist couldn't put the face of Jesus on his canvas, so Christ took the napkin and touched his face to it. Voila -- Christ's face miraculously appeared on the Holy Napkin -- the first Icon of Christ Not Made By Hands.

When the King's servant returned to Edessa, the King was cured of his leprosy. He offered Christ refuge in his country, but Christ stayed in the Holy Land and suffered death shortly after. But then He rose from the dead!

Anyway, I'm so glad to know that it's still around for all these 2000 years almost. And we can see it. We'll have to find out about any other dates and places. Perhaps Aaron can help us.

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

OrthodoxTexan

Dec 29, 2003
✟15,719.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I was wondering where the Holy Napkin or the Icon Not made by Hand went! The Orthodox venerated that Icon until it vanished at the time of the Crusades. At least it is not lost. Thank God. Praise the Lord. I wonder what else the Vatican has?
Lord knows how many relics, icons, and sacred things they have recovered from the Crusades. The Pope could make huge strides in Orthodox-Catholic relations if he were to just return to the Patriachates of the East the stolen goods within his possession.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing the Holy Napkin was a truly inexpressable experience. Praying in front of the Holy Napkin for 20-30 minutes completely quieted my heart and my brain for hours on end. I have not felt that kind of peace in a long, long time. It is an experience which I will never forget.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Iconographer said:
Seeing the Holy Napkin was a truly inexpressable experience. Praying in front of the Holy Napkin for 20-30 minutes completely quieted my heart and my brain for hours on end. I have not felt that kind of peace in a long, long time. It is an experience which I will never forget.

Please:

Is there a website address or a 1-800 phone number for making reservations?

Is there an admission charge?

Thanks for any information you can find.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
Please:

Is there a website address or a 1-800 phone number for making reservations?

Is there an admission charge?

Thanks for any information you can find.

Is anyone planning on seeing this exhibit before it goes back in September 2004?

I'd still like to have a phone number just in case.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
Geez....I had never heard the story about the Icon Not Made By Hands! And to think it was in Cincinnatti!:doh:That's only about 2 1/2 hrs. from me! I wish I'd known!:cry:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I drove the 4.5 hour drive from Cleveland to Cincinnatti and back in one day this spring to go to the exhibit just to pray in front of the Holy Mandylion (The Icon of the Face of Christ Not Made by Hands). I actually got to pray in front of the icon for about a half an hour. The inner peace and stillness the icon showed me was incredible, it was almost like standing in the presence of Heaven itself. There were a couple other icons in the display, but that was the sole reason I went.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Iconographer said:
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I drove the 4.5 hour drive from Cleveland to Cincinnatti and back in one day this spring to go to the exhibit just to pray in front of the Holy Mandylion (The Icon of the Face of Christ Not Made by Hands). I actually got to pray in front of the icon for about a half an hour. The inner peace and stillness the icon showed me was incredible, it was almost like standing in the presence of Heaven itself. There were a couple other icons in the display, but that was the sole reason I went.

Someone said that you need appointments. This seems like a big secret. What phone number did you call or what address did you write to obtain tickets and information?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aria said:
Someone said that you need appointments. This seems like a big secret. What phone number did you call or what address did you write to obtain tickets and information?

The tickets for the exhibition were timed. The address was http://www.vaticancincinnatti.com but I am sure it changed now that it is out in California. Look up the title "St. Peter and the Vatican" on google and see if it takes you to the page.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.