ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,660.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That works, if you don't mind staying within the prison of your own little world.

You mean the world I can demonstrate, unlike the world that you cannot demonstrate. I'd counter to say that you've "expanded" your mind into places that don't exist. But I'm willing to be proven wrong. So, go ahead and give me any evidence that this other world exists.

Okay, so you don't have the ability to comprehend different terms and evidence for different applications. Got it.

Lol. That's obviously not true, since you've given no evidence at all to evaluate. Of anything. Just unfounded claims that you conveniently say depend on evidence you can't give. Which means, once again, there's no reason to believe anything you're saying.

You know, there are very famous Christian apologists who at least attempt to give actual evidence for their beliefs. What do you think about them?

Throwing our evidence out of your court, accomplishes nothing. But it does demonstrate where you are coming from.

I'm coming from the place where you've not given any evidence.

Really, it's like you don't think that anyone is paying attention to what you're saying. Well, I am...

And...so...none of this applies to you.
Like I say: kindly disregard.

As long as you're insisting that people turn off their brains and accept claims without real, not "magical", evidence, I think I'll be sticking around.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
To "substantiate", is a mute point. And if you could understand that, you could move passed it.
I'm guessing you probably meant 'moot' and 'past' ;)
There is no need to substantiate what is already evident to those who are called.
Obviously; that's why I'm saying it's unsubstantiated.
You fail to see that the world suffers on every front, incapable of self-rescue...
I see the world suffers on many fronts, but not all. My 'failing' seems to be that I have different views and opinions from you. Life would be very dull if we all thought the same way.
...and that God has placed His Light upon a hill, and those who see it come.
Ah, the moths... I hope they don't bump their heads on the light fitting.
It is because we have seen God, whom supersedes every human component. Those things become nothing, and pass away.
So what did He look like?
When a person comes to know that there is another life within reach, that does not pass away - the contest is over. But you root for the loosing side, that passes away.
I root for open and rational enquiry. It would be sad if that was lost; a return to the dark ages.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what did He look like?
You have seen Him too, but didn't know or recognize Him. Being made in His image, He can be seen in others. But before I saw Him in others, I saw Him in the clouds above the earth when He caught me up into His presents.
I root for open and rational enquiry. It would be sad if that was lost; a return to the dark ages.
That is a good example of what it is that we have to bring to the table. Compared to the kingdom of God, all the world, whether medieval or modern, is all the dark ages. And if you spoke to the learned of those dark ages of something more than they knew, they would do exactly what you are now doing...they would claim witchcraft or the like, and consider themselves to be the wiser. History has taught no improvement on how to embrace human advancement: being born [again] of the spirit of God is the future, and the greatest form of evolution...and the naysayers get left behind.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have noticed some things since I began my curiousity-driven search for something greater than myself: I find that a lot of religious sects, and individuals in general, will taylor their beliefs into whatever is easiest or of most help for them.
I agree, though I don't find this to be particularly problematic. The problem, in my opinion, is when people try to continue to enforce a tradition when the practical reason for it no longer exists. Often, people don't realize that the rule had a reason behind it in the first place.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have noticed some things since I began my curiousity-driven search for something greater than myself: I find that a lot of religious sects, and individuals in general, will taylor their beliefs into whatever is easiest or of most help for them. Sometimes, even, whatever they believe will make them the most money.

This makes it difficult for someone like myself, and so many others I know or do not know, to find what they are looking for. As an outsider observing the (mainly christian) groups around me, I find that most of them cannot agree with eachother what they believe, let alone with another group. It seems that most religions are focused on one thing similar: a deity. They may have different names for their deity, but in general, it is a benevolent being above themselves. It's not until you delve into what that deity does or does not want you to do, that the ideas get drastically seperate.

I find it difficult to avoid the want to just, create my own deity that fits everything I want it to be. Afterall, it seems that is what everyone else has done! Am I to just find the deity that I like the most and follow its teaching till I die?

It dissapoints me because I have always been inquisitive about religion, and I find it does not agree with the inquisitive mind. I came to religion in hopes of finding answers and truth for my life... instead, it only offers more questions. It was like going to a proffessor for answers, someone who has studied a topic for decades, and he knew about as much as I did.

A lot of christians argue that if you want truth, just read the bible. Or pray.
The issue I have with this? There are many sects who have a book that they say holds the truth. Which book is the correct book? If we are in an eternal race to truth and happiness in whatever may happen after this life, am I really to just take your word for it? Risk waisting my time, even my life, studying a book that no one can PROVE is real?

So far, my beliefs play out something like this: I believe there is a deity. I do not know its name, origin, or what it wants me to do. However, I do believe it is there. It is my hope, my faith if you will, that it is benevolent, compassionate, cares. Thus, it is my belief I should do my best to live to whatever standards it may have, which we assume are righteous. By this, I mean living with love for others, selflessly, and constantly seeking wisdom.
Many people will tell me it is this deity, or that deity, but I say there is no way to know. So why argue about it?
I suppose some people feel better about the unknown by arguing about it... I can see that everywhere. Helps them understand their own idea, in a facade of knowing everything.

Part of me worries if this is good enough. What if one of these groups of people actually have it figured out and I am way off?
I suppose my peace comes from knowing that, even if I was wrong, I lived my life in a way that was only beneficial to the world. I did not kill, maim, or condescend others. Instead, I lifted and loved them. Positive impact.

Feel free to throw out ideas, concerns, and beliefs. Curious what others believe.

This is why we have so many denominations of christianity. Folks gravitate towards the interpretation that is most comforting for them.

Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0