TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the church I attend at the moment gives about 30mins to sermon and prayer time at the end. If you don't need to grab kids from sunday school then the prayer time can go longer. They have two sets of worship with announcements and praying for sunday school leaders and kids inbetween. Just before the second set of songs starts people are invited to go to the side near the front for prayer which happens during the second worship session. So overall yes more time singing than sermon. With bible study during the week however then the answer would be no. Bible study is part of church so I think it is reasonable to include it.

At one church I went to way more time was given to reading the word and teaching than singing. Of course it was a denomination that has liturgy. Liturgy is just scripture being sung to music so I have counted that as part of the teaching time. Of course the advantage of liturgy and bible readings is if the sermon is completely unbiblical then you are still getting fed scripture which does not happen in the six hymns and a sermon churches like I attend now.

It is not neccesarily wrong to spend more time singing than on the sermon in my opinion. Worship is also important and we are instructed to do so in the bible.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Abba's Shabbat shalom in Y'shua....

As it is written in Scripture, no matter what earthly group, of the man who belongs to Yhwh(God) - "He meditates on God's Word day and night .... "
This is repeated over and over and over and over again all through Scripture, and all through the history of the world (i.e. those who serve God, those who are sent by God, and who do God's work) ... ... ...

There is an immense and a clear failure in our culture/ society/ world to do so , and it is left undone at the cost of in-numerable souls....

It cost/caused, for now, the loss of several members of my family who once were faithful.

Hey everyone! I'm part of the Salvation Army. One thing I noticed
over the past year or so, is that through the whole hour and a
half service, there is much more time spent singing songs, than
the actual teaching of the Bible.
It seems like we spend more time, standing up and singing songs,
than having the Bible taught to us.
Is your church like this as well?

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
the church I attend at the moment gives about 30mins to sermon and prayer time at the end. If you don't need to grab kids from sunday school then the prayer time can go longer. They have two sets of worship with announcements and praying for sunday school leaders and kids inbetween.

Just before the second set of songs starts people are invited to go to the side near the front for prayer which happens during the second worship session. So overall yes more time singing than sermon. With bible study during the week however then the answer would be no. Bible study is part of church so I think it is reasonable to include it.

It is not neccesarily wrong to spend more time singing than on the sermon in my opinion. Worship is also important and we are instructed to do so in the bible.

Granted the Pastor we had for four years, passed away not too long ago.After his passing, we had a couple of Pastors filling in. It seemed every minute we were asked to rise and sing a religious song. Not to knock the
Salvation Army, as I still think they are still a great organization, filled
with many great people. The lack of sermon time was really starting to
irk me however.

The SA also had Bible study. Could never make it to the sessions
as I don't drive, and I'm not sure if anyone in my area would have
been willing to pick and drop me off.

I'm going to be trying a Baptist church someone I know attends.
Should be interesting. :cool:
I'm going to be trying a Baptist church somebody I know attends.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Abba's Shabbat shalom in Y'shua....

As it is written in Scripture, no matter what earthly group, of the man who belongs to Yhwh(God) - "He meditates on God's Word day and night .... "
This is repeated over and over and over and over again all through Scripture, and all through the history of the world (i.e. those who serve God, those who are sent by God, and who do God's work) ... ... ...

There is an immense and a clear failure in our culture/ society/ world to do so , and it is left undone at the cost of in-numerable souls....

It cost/caused, for now, the loss of several members of my family who once were faithful.

You're not kidding, YeshuaslaveJeff!

I know I shouldn't be bringing up the new world order system,
or what would be deemed conspiracy theory, but it's all too
obvious that in North America, and probably some parts of the
UK and Europe are being brainwashed by the bigwigs uptop
who are not really Christian or Judism followers. It's more
likely that they are satanists or freemasons.

Whatever is put on TV or in the movies, people slowly begin to
accepts whatever they put out. The "do what you want" satanic
way of doing things, subliminally attacks peoples mind thru TV . Or, they
don't know what some of the hand symbols mean, that are
satanic. The el diablo hand sign ( two middle fingers down, with
the outside fingers up, with thumb tucked in) is a salute to satan.

Look for info on Anton Lavey, satanism in Hollywood/music industry and satanic/
or freemason (satanic group) hand signs on Youtube to see what
I mean.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
well, be careful if you search for info on the enemy ---
the info that is published sort of sensationalizes some one or some aspect,
and ignores the overall permeation of society
as if part of society is okay (it's not, except for those set apart by and to God - very very few).

so (as I believe you purpose) seek even more fully, more diligently, God and His Purpose right now, Today ,while it is called 'Today'(while there is still breath to live, time to seek, time to serve God, time to learn from Him and take shelter in Him His Way). I have not used my time nearly as wisely as I could have - even today, yet, while seeking to more and more learn how to use time God's Way, Wisely (His Wisdom in Jesus Christ, not mine own apart from Him and not mankind's way).... ... . It is difficult here also, online, because there is so much opposition to revealing the truth fully - not a 'conspiracy' "THEORY" , no -- Scripture tells of a much more widespread evil, throughout all society, throughout all the world, which only in Jesus Christ is there any escape from .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Granted the Pastor we had for four years, passed away not too long ago.After his passing, we had a couple of Pastors filling in. It seemed every minute we were asked to rise and sing a religious song. Not to knock the
Salvation Army, as I still think they are still a great organization, filled
with many great people. The lack of sermon time was really starting to
irk me however.

The SA also had Bible study. Could never make it to the sessions
as I don't drive, and I'm not sure if anyone in my area would have
been willing to pick and drop me off.

I'm going to be trying a Baptist church someone I know attends.
Should be interesting. :cool:
I'm going to be trying a Baptist church somebody I know attends.
Just like any denomination the Salvos can be hit and miss depending on which congregation you attend. I was fortunate that because the one I used to attend was a church plant people were passionate and happily picked me up. Praise God my health has stabilised and I have now been passed medically fit to drive! Baptists also can be hit and miss. One baptist church near me got rid of a minister because he preached against material wealth. That didn't go down very well with a number of wealthy people in the congregation. Yet other baptist churches I have had involvement with are great. One church I attended had a number of people whose response to the suggestion of outreach was "Why would we want anymore people here?" Yes hard to believe isn't it!

Even with saying all this as I said earlier I don't see anything wrong with spending time in worship as that is also biblical. In my current church (pentecostal) they use the worship time for people to receive prayer. The worship time is used to for other things which is a good idea imo. It means people aren't just sitting around talking while others are being prayed for. We see in the bible that there is power in worship so in effect by worshipping while prayer is happening is helping the prayer.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure. I thought at one time that if the thumb was sticking out,
it was a sign of peace. Could be wrong though.

If you do know, enlighten me please.:)
That's the American Sign Language sign for "love".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just like any denomination the Salvos can be hit and miss depending on which congregation you attend. I was fortunate that because the one I used to attend was a church plant people were passionate and happily picked me up. Praise God my health has stabilised and I have now been passed medically fit to drive! Baptists also can be hit and miss. One baptist church near me got rid of a minister because he preached against material wealth. That didn't go down very well with a number of wealthy people in the congregation. Yet other baptist churches I have had involvement with are great. One church I attended had a number of people whose response to the suggestion of outreach was "Why would we want anymore people here?" Yes hard to believe isn't it!

Even with saying all this as I said earlier I don't see anything wrong with spending time in worship as that is also biblical. In my current church (pentecostal) they use the worship time for people to receive prayer. The worship time is used to for other things which is a good idea imo. It means people aren't just sitting around talking while others are being prayed for. We see in the bible that there is power in worship so in effect by worshipping while prayer is happening is helping the prayer.

Happy to hear you're better, and fit to drive now!:)

I don't know if that pastor should have been fired, if he had
properly addressed the congregation. As far as I know, being
wealthy isn't a sin, if one isn't hoarding all of his/ or her money,
giving a good amount to charity or the church, if they have
plenty of it.

Yeah, that one about why some people in that Baptist one
you attended, feeling that they didn't want any more in
their congregation, doesn't seem right. I would think
most churches would want more people, in order to
help not only the church, but help others through
worship, fellowship etc.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"voluntary poverty" was one of the first things lost when 'christianity' became a state religion(or even earlier).
it is totally necessary for disciples of Jesus, and it is one of the last things being restored, and only in those devoted to truth in Christ Jesus by grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"voluntary poverty" was one of the first things lost when 'christianity' became a state religion(or even earlier).
it is totally necessary for disciples of Jesus, and it is one of the last things being restored, and only in those devoted to truth in Christ Jesus by grace.
How much did that little device you're typing on cost?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Happy to hear you're better, and fit to drive now!:)

I don't know if that pastor should have been fired, if he had
properly addressed the congregation. As far as I know, being
wealthy isn't a sin, if one isn't hoarding all of his/ or her money,
giving a good amount to charity or the church, if they have
plenty of it.

Yeah, that one about why some people in that Baptist one
you attended, feeling that they didn't want any more in
their congregation, doesn't seem right. I would think
most churches would want more people, in order to
help not only the church, but help others through
worship, fellowship etc.
My main point was that there are good and bad churches in every denomination so don't be afraid to try a different congregation in the same denomination.
Just so there is no misunderstanding it wasn't a baptist church where the person said why would we want anymore people.

Not sure. I thought at one time that if the thumb was sticking out,
it was a sign of peace. Could be wrong though.

If you do know, enlighten me please.:)
I was mainly asking to see if you have done your research. Most people I come across who make the statement you did haven't. Glad to find someone who does.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My main point was that there are good and bad churches in every denomination so don't be afraid to try a different congregation in the same denomination.
Just so there is no misunderstanding it wasn't a baptist church where the person said why would we want anymore people.

I won't hesitate to try another church in another denomination
if I end up not liking the one I'll be attending, for sure. There is
a good number of churches in my city. Baptist, Lutheran, Anglican,
Presbyterian ( I think) and Catholic. Some other ones with names
I'd never heard of.

Sorry. What denomination was the church you attended, that didn't
want any more people to attend?

I was mainly asking to see if you have done your research. Most people I come across who make the statement you did haven't. Glad to find someone who does.

Hehe! My father years ago thought the hand sign ( two middle fingers
down, outside fingers up, with thumb tucked in) meant BS. I tell them
about what it signifies, and they say when they watch American Idol
or another one of their favorite shows "not everybody is going to know
what it means". True enough.

Here's a link that explains it all:

The El Diablo Satanic Hand Sign

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
.... what does anything 'COST' ? 'things', if loved, the world, if loved, if clung to as if valuable, costs the loss of a soul (and maybe many souls because one can affect others). (as it is written, and cannot be changed, "whosoever loves the world cannot be a friend of Yhwh the Creator" (not even in or through or by the Faithfulness of Jesus the Messiah!!!!)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
voice (Bible audio on Biblegateway)

it has been very edifying, helpful and enjoyable, as well as convicting, reminding(of what God says about everything), planting and watering hopefully, joyfully and soberly.

one very cool thing as biblegateway audio plays out loud, just listening to Scripture, much of the time ---> it is SO SIMPLE, the way GOD SAYS IT. (even in english, just listening)

try it - any book or chapter or all of them - see how simple GOD SAYS IT in His Word.

Let God tell you. Trust Him. JOYFULLY!

Hey everyone! I'm part of the Salvation Army. One thing I noticed
over the past year or so, is that through the whole hour and a
half service, there is much more time spent singing songs, than
the actual teaching of the Bible.

It seems like we spend more time, standing up and singing songs,

than having the Bible taught to us.

Is your church like this as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0