PotLuck

May 5, 2002
Visit site
✟408.00
Faith
Christian
Or was it?

Could it be....?

Did the ark have to be big enough to carry a sample of every animal through The Flood?

Or just a sample of each "type" of animal that had the information within them to reproduce once again all the species of animals within that type?

If I'm a baker and I'm going to move my shop across town do I need to pack every different cake, every various biscuit, every different donut, breads, rolls I have or do I simply need to pack the ingredients necessary to make all those baked goods again when I get there?

God in His wisdom preserved those "originals" from which all the various species could once again be propagated.

It would be interesting to find out what specific animals were indeed on the ark that had the "blueprints" to create all others within a type.

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
PotLuck said:
Or just a sample of each "type" of animal that had the information within them to reproduce once again all the species of animals within that type?

I have asked this question before and seen it lost in the clutter of debate.

Maybe I can ask it here and get an answer, as I am genuinely curious on this point.

How can two animals have all the information in them to reproduce once again all the species of animals of their type? How does this claim match up with Mendelian genetics? (Mendel was not an evolutionist as you know.)

Upvote 0

adam149

Sep 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟457.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
gluadys said:
I have asked this question before and seen it lost in the clutter of debate.
It tends to happen that way.

gluadys said:
Maybe I can ask it here and get an answer, as I am genuinely curious on this point.
I shall try my best.

gluadys said:
How can two animals have all the information in them to reproduce once again all the species of animals of their type? How does this claim match up with Mendelian genetics? (Mendel was not an evolutionist as you know.)
For starters, here is an article I wrote that gives a definition for the biblical 'Kind.' http://www.creationtruths.com/default.aspx?do=Article&id=whatisakind

Also see this article on fitting the animals on the Ark from our old website http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/creation_truths/cre_floodq4.html and this AiG article: http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i2/animals.asp

As to how two animals have all the information in them to reproduce once again all the species of animals of their type, it is perfectly feasable. A single man and woman can produce many hundreds of thousands of people without a single one of them being identical to another.

All of the species we now have on the earth are merely minor variations of natural selection from the parent pair. For more information on the process of variation and natural selection, see this chapter from Refuting Evolution: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/re1/chapter2.asp; see as well http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/bears.asp and http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v18/i2/dogs.asp

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study, by John Woodmorappe. It answers virtually every objection to the Ark.

There are modern examples of single-pair founders founding a surviving and successful population of animals. Many birds transplanted to Australia have been started by single pairs (Newsome and Noble, 1986; see Appendix One). A population of the American Gray Squirrel, founded by a single pair has had great success in Victoria, Australia, (de Vos et al., 1956, pg. 179). Also of single pair founders are the rock wallaby introduced to Hawaii (Tomich, 1986, pg. 17), rabbits introduced to the Balearic Islands by the ancient ROmans (Flux and Fullagar, 1992, pg. 151) some Australian islands (Flux and Fullagar, 1992, pg. 182), raccoons founded in the Bahamas (Sherman, 1954, pg. 126). Woodmorappe (1996) lists roughly a dozen or more such examples. He also answers all such questions raised (Woodmorappe, 1996, pg. 175-213). I would have summarized some of them here, but I don't have time at the moment. This should be enough to get you started, however. If you need more info, let me know.

References

Flux J.E.C., and Fullagar, P.J., 1992, "World Distribution of the Rabbit Oryctolagus Cuniculus on Islands," Mammal Review, 22(3/4):151-205

Newsome, A.E., and Noble, I.R., 1986, "Ecological and Physiological Characters of Invading Species," in Ecology of Biological Invasions, Cambridge Press, London, UK

Sherman, H.B., 1954, "raccoons of the Bahama Islands," Journal of Mammalogy, 35(1):126

Tomich, P.Q., 1986, Mammals in Hawaii, 2nd ed., Bishop Museum Press, Honolulu

de Vos et al., 1956, "Introduced Mammals and Their Influence on Native Biota," Zoologica, 41:163-194

Woodmorappe, J., 1996, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study, Institute for Creation Research, El Cajon, CA

Reactions: PotLuck
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
adam149 said:
It tends to happen that way.

I shall try my best.

Thanks, Adam

Sorry to say, your answers did not get to the heart of my question, but a couple of the references did.

Perhaps I need to clarify the issue.

I am not worried about fitting animals onto the ark. My concern is the recreating of various species from the founder pairs emerging from the ark.

adam149 said:
As to how two animals have all the information in them to reproduce once again all the species of animals of their type, it is perfectly feasable. A single man and woman can produce many hundreds of thousands of people without a single one of them being identical to another.

This is true because we are looking simultaneously at all the various characteristics that make up an organism. You can get tremendous overall variety by mixing a very limited number of options for each particular characteristic.

Take faces for example: suppose we have only two options per characteristic

e.g thin or bushy eyebrows, brown or blue eyes, straight or "ski-slope" nose, light or dark skin colour, full or thin lips, weak or jutting chin. With just two options for just these six characteristics one can generate 64 different faces. If we increased the options to four per characteristic we get 4^6=4,096 different faces.

And the more characteristics you look at, the more variation you can get. No problem there.

My question was directed at how much variety one could get in each separate characteristic.

And this is where I found the AiG article on variation helpful, though perhaps not fully answering the question.

Here is the relevant paragraph.

All (sexually reproducing) organisms contain their genetic information in paired form. Each offspring inherits half its genetic information from its mother, and half from its father. So there are two genes at a given position (locus, plural loci) coding for a particular characteristic. An organism can be heterozygous at a given locus, meaning it carries different forms (alleles) of this gene. For example, one allele can code for blue eyes, while the other one can code for brown eyes; or one can code for the A blood type and the other for the B type. Sometimes two alleles have a combined effect, while at other times only one allele (called dominant) has any effect on the organism, while the other does not (recessive).

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/re1/chapter2.asp

We see from this that each individual has two copies of each gene and the two genes can be identical (in which case the individual is homozygous for that characteristic) or different (in which case the individual is heterozygous for that characteristic.)

But while each individual carries only two copies (and therefore a maximum of two alleles) of each gene, there can be more than two alleles for that gene in the population as a whole.

As noted in the article, humans have both A and B alleles for blood type. Another allele for blood type is the O allele. No one person can carry all three of these alleles. You must have at least two people---and one of them must be heterozygous for two of the alleles. Of course, the human complement of the ark was 8. Noah's sons would only have copies of the genes from their parents, so among these five people there would exist a maximum of four alleles for any one gene. Even that is enough to account for the three blood type alleles. And for other characteristics, the daughters-in-law could each account for an additional two. So the human survivors of the ark could preserve up to 10 alleles per gene.

But what if God originally created an animal kind with 10 different alleles in one gene locus? This would mean creating a minimum of 5 of that kind, since each individual can only carry two of the ten alleles. Now, Noah takes only two of most kinds, so there is necessarily a selection of at best 4 of those 10 alleles. So where does the information come from to recreate a species that originally had 10 alleles at one gene locus? How does a species get back the six missing alleles?

This is where the article on bears came in:

However, it is likely that not all the features for today’s bears would have been coded for directly in the genes of the original bear kind. Mutations, genetic copying mistakes which cause defects, may on rare occasions be helpful, even though they are still defects, corruptions or losses of information. Thus, the polar bear’s partly webbed feet may have come from a mutation which prevented the toes from dividing properly during its embryonic development. This defect would give it an advantage in swimming, which would make it easier to survive as a hunter of seals among ice floes.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/bears.asp

Emphasis added.

Now,this frankly surprised me, even with the qualifier that this mutation is a defect. For I have never heard a creationist source speak even this positively of mutations before.

Yet, I could not see any way of getting more than four alleles per gene without mutations. And I know that in some species, there are upwards of 100 alleles of a particular gene.

If mutations are the only way to get new alleles that would mean 96 or more mutations for that gene locus alone since Noah's day. And more for every gene for which there are now more than four alleles in today's representatives of the kind.

I didn't think that was acceptable to creationism until I saw the AiG article on bears. Even now I am not sure.

So is this explanation widely accepted by creationists as the source of new alleles in one specific gene?

Or does someone have an alternate theory for developing new alleles of a gene? One that does not rely on mutations?

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree it’s a puzzle.

Today, we cannot conceive of an organism containing ALL the information necessary, because it doesn’t happen any longer.

This is where we come up against the problem of things not being as they were before, and therefore not being observable or repeatable.

The animals from the ark no longer exist, so we cannot see the offspring and compare siblings and generations.
We cannot examine the original pairs’ DNA to discover just how rich their store of information was.

All we have left is their ancestors, each carrying only a tiny portion of that information, plus there must have been great losses generally to the gene pool throughout, not to mention extinctions.

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Lord is my banner said:
I agree it’s a puzzle.

Today, we cannot conceive of an organism containing ALL the information necessary, because it doesn’t happen any longer.

This is where we come up against the problem of things not being as they were before, and therefore not being observable or repeatable.

The animals from the ark no longer exist, so we cannot see the offspring and compare siblings and generations.
We cannot examine the original pairs’ DNA to discover just how rich their store of information was.

All we have left is their ancestors, each carrying only a tiny portion of that information, plus there must have been great losses generally to the gene pool throughout, not to mention extinctions.

Blessings, Susana
Kind of like Hovind's humorous bit about Chihuahuas and wolves? Given enough time, could you selectively breed Chihuahuas from wolves? Most likely. Wolves from Chihuahuas? Doubtful.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
I agree it’s a puzzle.

Blessings, Susana

We can't know how many genes and chromosomes they had, but we do know that they could not have had more than 4 alleles per gene locus. So if, in any kind, there are now more than 4 alleles for one or more gene loci, there needs to be a way for the new alleles to enter the system.

Is AIG right in saying that only mutations can introduce new alleles?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been trying to find something like this and I was encouraged to read this insightfull remark:

"Interestingly, evolutionists Christian Schwabe and Gregory Warr, based upon their analysis of molecular data, unintentionally agree with creationists by delineating that fauna originated as distinct types which later branched out in a distinctly phylogenic “forest” of narrow trees as opposed to the assumed monophyletic single branching tree "

I keep running into things that are inconsistant with nature in a lot of evolution. For instance, have you ever noticed that the wider variety tends to be in lush jungles were competition is not as fierce as it would be in say the deserts. I wonder if there isn't some kind of a sythesis that is possible by blending modern genetics and taxonomy useing the criteria outlined in the article. I'm going to go over the links and see what I come up with but I think gluadys is got the right idea, this has to square with genetics. I have come to see the 'monphyletic single branching tree' as presumptive. Why must we have everything descending from a unicellular protoorganism, why not a forest of more narrow trees? I wonder what the cladistics would look like. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

adam149

Sep 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
✟457.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
gluadys said:
Thanks, Adam

Sorry to say, your answers did not get to the heart of my question, but a couple of the references did.
Sorry about that. :)

gluadys said:
Perhaps I need to clarify the issue.

I am not worried about fitting animals onto the ark. My concern is the recreating of various species from the founder pairs emerging from the ark.

This is true because we are looking simultaneously at all the various characteristics that make up an organism. You can get tremendous overall variety by mixing a very limited number of options for each particular characteristic.

Take faces for example: suppose we have only two options per characteristic

e.g thin or bushy eyebrows, brown or blue eyes, straight or "ski-slope" nose, light or dark skin colour, full or thin lips, weak or jutting chin. With just two options for just these six characteristics one can generate 64 different faces. If we increased the options to four per characteristic we get 4^6=4,096 different faces.

And the more characteristics you look at, the more variation you can get. No problem there.

My question was directed at how much variety one could get in each separate characteristic.

And this is where I found the AiG article on variation helpful, though perhaps not fully answering the question.

Here is the relevant paragraph.

We see from this that each individual has two copies of each gene and the two genes can be identical (in which case the individual is homozygous for that characteristic) or different (in which case the individual is heterozygous for that characteristic.)

But while each individual carries only two copies (and therefore a maximum of two alleles) of each gene, there can be more than two alleles for that gene in the population as a whole.

As noted in the article, humans have both A and B alleles for blood type. Another allele for blood type is the O allele. No one person can carry all three of these alleles. You must have at least two people---and one of them must be heterozygous for two of the alleles. Of course, the human complement of the ark was 8. Noah's sons would only have copies of the genes from their parents, so among these five people there would exist a maximum of four alleles for any one gene. Even that is enough to account for the three blood type alleles. And for other characteristics, the daughters-in-law could each account for an additional two. So the human survivors of the ark could preserve up to 10 alleles per gene.

But what if God originally created an animal kind with 10 different alleles in one gene locus? This would mean creating a minimum of 5 of that kind, since each individual can only carry two of the ten alleles. Now, Noah takes only two of most kinds, so there is necessarily a selection of at best 4 of those 10 alleles. So where does the information come from to recreate a species that originally had 10 alleles at one gene locus? How does a species get back the six missing alleles?

This is where the article on bears came in:

Now,this frankly surprised me, even with the qualifier that this mutation is a defect. For I have never heard a creationist source speak even this positively of mutations before.

Yet, I could not see any way of getting more than four alleles per gene without mutations. And I know that in some species, there are upwards of 100 alleles of a particular gene.

If mutations are the only way to get new alleles that would mean 96 or more mutations for that gene locus alone since Noah's day. And more for every gene for which there are now more than four alleles in today's representatives of the kind.

I didn't think that was acceptable to creationism until I saw the AiG article on bears. Even now I am not sure.

So is this explanation widely accepted by creationists as the source of new alleles in one specific gene?

Or does someone have an alternate theory for developing new alleles of a gene? One that does not rely on mutations?
I don't think I can answer your question. Genetics is not my area of study. I would highly suggest asking AiG about this. I would be interested in hearing their response as well.

Contact them directly from here.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/feedback/sendmail.aspx?TopicID=Scientific

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
adam149 said:
Sorry about that. :)

I don't think I can answer your question. Genetics is not my area of study. I would highly suggest asking AiG about this. I would be interested in hearing their response as well.

Contact them directly from here.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/feedback/sendmail.aspx?TopicID=Scientific

I already have tried to get an answer from them. It has been over 6 weeks and they have not replied. Maybe the same question from another questioner would get them moving. (hint, hint)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 7:2-3
You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; [3] also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.

There were only two of the unclean animals. There were seven of the clean animals. It could be there were seven pairs and this would give us plenty of DNA to work with.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
JohnR7 said:
Genesis 7:2-3
You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; [3] also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.

There were only two of the unclean animals. There were seven of the clean animals. It could be there were seven pairs and this would give us plenty of DNA to work with.

In the first place not many animals met the qualification of being "clean" i.e. acceptable as sacrificial animals, so the single pair applies in most cases.

Secondly, some of the clean animals were used for sacrifice, and the number is not specified, so we cannot assume seven pairs for reproductive purposes.

Even if we could, we are up to a maximum of 14 alleles per gene locus. That is, admittedly a lot more than 4 and allows for a lot of variation. But there are still species today that have more, sometimes many more, than 14 alleles per gene locus. If you extend the survey to kinds the numbers of alleles in the same gene locus rises according to how many species are in each kind.

So the question still remains. What is the source of the new alleles? Is it all mutation? Because I haven't heard of any other way to get new gene alleles.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gluadys said:
In the first place not many animals met the qualification of being "clean" i.e. acceptable as sacrificial animals, so the single pair applies in most cases.

Secondly, some of the clean animals were used for sacrifice, and the number is not specified, so we cannot assume seven pairs for reproductive purposes.

Even if we could, we are up to a maximum of 14 alleles per gene locus. That is, admittedly a lot more than 4 and allows for a lot of variation. But there are still species today that have more, sometimes many more, than 14 alleles per gene locus. If you extend the survey to kinds the numbers of alleles in the same gene locus rises according to how many species are in each kind.

So the question still remains. What is the source of the new alleles? Is it all mutation? Because I haven't heard of any other way to get new gene alleles.
Someone as already written into AIG with a related question. You can find the answer here.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
mark kennedy said:
I keep running into things that are inconsistant with nature in a lot of evolution. For instance, have you ever noticed that the wider variety tends to be in lush jungles were competition is not as fierce as it would be in say the deserts.

This much at least is not an inconsistency. Lush jungles offer a wider variety of different niches in which a wider variety of species can find a place for themselves relatively free from competition. Deserts don't offer such a variety of context, so competition for the few niches is more severe and leads to only one or a few species surviving in each niche.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Project 86 said:
Someone as already written into AIG with a related question. You can find the answer here.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Again AiG affirms mutations as the source of new alleles.

I would believe that the various alleles of hemoglobin, for instance, could easily have arisen by mutation.

And everyone is comfortable with that?

I only asked because I have never heard a creationist assert a positive role for mutations before, and here is AIG saying they're perfectly ok with over 400 mutations in a single gene in less than 4000 years. That's one every 10 years. And that's only one gene.

I wonder how that stacks up against measured mutation rates?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.