victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But the students will feel good about themselves, so that's more important!
For many people the point of attendance is that it is mandatory to attend or there are serious consequences like losing your children to the state. They also work all day and many have no means to secure Christian private education that is trustworthy. Since opportunity and jobs has been hinged on having an education, many parents feel that there is no alternative. One point of such articles showing the ridiculousness of education these days in Canada and the USA is that they shine some light on things and maybe do some good in getting some folks to flush.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's a discussion of the decision from Oregon Public Broadcasting: A closer look at Oregon’s decision to drop high school graduation ‘essential skill’ requirements

Students still have to pass all their high school classes and earn a specific number of credits to graduate. The question is whether a particular standardized test is a good measure of the students' proficiency in various skills. If it isn't a good measure, then perhaps the test shouldn't be added to the list of graduation requirements. Opinions among Oregon K-12 educators differ. I'm not an Oregon K-12 educator, and I haven't seen the test in question, so I don't have an informed opinion on the question.
I found this quote from your article funny

“The fact that we make something easier does not mean it’s less educationally valid, and the fact that something is more difficult for a student doesn’t mean they’ve demonstrated better learning,”

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟659,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

“The fact that we make something easier does not mean it’s less educationally valid, and the fact that something is more difficult for a student doesn’t mean they’ve demonstrated better learning,”
The brain surgeons of tomorrow! ;)

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Wooooooosh.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the article was about high school students.
Yes . . . but I am adding how we need to care about students before high school, since pre-high school will affect how well they can do in high school.

For an extreme example . . . what if a student arrives in high school totally illiterate? How do high school teachers get such students to make up at least eight years of pre-high education, in one or even four high school years?

I guess you could put the untaught children in a special group and do at least what you can. And not try to just push them for passing a test.

Test progress, in such cases, to show how something is being done, and catch the problem long before the point of high school.

Get the failing students into special teaching, as soon as you can detect them. And if they have not caught up by graduation, give each such student the option to continue in day or evening education.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For you. For me. For a few of the many.

Most never had a chance to learn a trade, to learn the truth of Creation,
to learn the lies prevalent in democracy, in america, in the world...

So then, what is normal ? Normal is bad. Normal is not good, nor right, nor in support of truth, practically anywhere .....

Where today, for example, can an unbeliever find the truth ? The unbelief is protected, supported, defended, much much more than faith or belief in the truth is.
Nope, can't agree. I learned math, English, geography, history, computer science, science, how to be a functioning adult. So, yeah, my school time was normal.

I was also at school in the bible belt. We learned respect, manners, ethics, morals etc.

If someone else's experience was weird, feel sorry for them and, in fact, feel sorry for this whole generation of people who are going to learn how to be no one and do nothing.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you experienced, what you posted, was not a disagreement with my post at all.
Yes, I see that now! I was commenting on my experience being normal. I can't say what these poor people going through school now are experiencing. I'm so grateful me and mine are not part of the system. Well, I wouldn't allow it but I can save my energy for other battles now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes . . . but I am adding how we need to care about students before high school, since pre-high school will affect how well they can do in high school.
I would say it depends on what you mean by taking care of them. What we see today is depraved madness.
For an extreme example . . . what if a student arrives in high school totally illiterate? How do high school teachers get such students to make up at least eight years of pre-high education, in one or even four high school years?
Maybe they learn at the grade level they need?
I guess you could put the untaught children in a special group and do at least what you can. And not try to just push them for passing a test.
It all depends on why kids are there I guess. If not to learn, then does it really matter where anyone gets put?
Test progress, in such cases, to show how something is being done, and catch the problem long before the point of high school.
How would they be leaving grade school unable to read and do math etc?
Get the failing students into special teaching, as soon as you can detect them. And if they have not caught up by graduation, give each such student the option to continue in day or evening education.
I think the issue for many is what they are taught, not that they graduate for leaning it.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. Private and home schools are practically the only opportunity kids have today to learn the truth; and even so, it is rare.
Sadly that seems to be the case. Even many christian schools are less bible oriented than woke

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Many people need no manipulation to realize that the school system has actually become dangerous and wicked to a large degree. Foxes are in charge of guarding the hen house.

I make no defense regarding the state of the public education system these days. The Government does not belong in the education business. They need to get out and let more competent institutions fill the gap.

However, that's still not much of a defense for poor journalism. If the events written about in the article truly are an example of watered down standards - and they very well could be - then a fair reading of the facts and circumstances will support this view.

There's no need to spin the news - let the facts speak for themselves. That is what I would prefer, but I believe I would be outvoted in that regard. Letting the facts speak for themselves doesn't sell newspapers. Sensationalism sells newspapers.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I make no defense regarding the state of the public education system these days. The Government does not belong in the education business. They need to get out and let more competent institutions fill the gap.
Not sure that would work. What institution exists that could provide a parental rights oriented, non woke agenda pushing education?
However, that's still not much of a defense for poor journalism. If the events written about in the article truly are an example of watered down standards - and they very well could be - then a fair reading of the facts and circumstances will support this view.

There's no need to spin the news - let the facts speak for themselves. That is what I would prefer, but I believe I would be outvoted in that regard. Letting the facts speak for themselves doesn't sell newspapers. Sensationalism sells newspapers.
I had asked for specifics of how the article was wrong. Still waiting. In Canada, for example, parents are not told of what a child is undergoing in regards to gender identity.

Kids were being taught to lie to parents,” said a Calgary mother whose child’s Grade 6 class was told by a teacher that the gender identify of a classmate must be kept from that student’s parents. In another instance, a Toronto mother complained that her child’s school changed her kid’s name and pronouns without ever consulting her.

It would be easy to write off such incidents as anecdotal or isolated, but the schools were merely following official government guidance."

Governments and schools are not reporting to the parents what is going on, that seems worse than an online news service failing to bring up some finer points of a story about continuing falling standards in schools. But if there is some serious flaw in the article do point it out.

Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I had asked for specifics of how the article was wrong. Still waiting.

I've already given one regarding the lack of substantive details concerning the reasons given for an action. The author seems to insinuate that the justifications for the school board's actions were lacking somehow. Maybe they were, but if the author was even making a minimal effort to be fair with the facts and circumstances, the article gave little evidence of that. Was the Board Member even asked to elaborate on this? Or did the author just assUme this was just another case of watered-down academic standards?

We all know what happens when you ass-U-me something without a reasonable basis for doing so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟31,945.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've already given one regarding the lack of substantive details concerning the reasons given for an action. The author seems to insinuate that the justifications for the school board's actions were lacking somehow. Maybe they were, but if the author was even making a minimal effort to be fair with the facts and circumstances, the article gave little evidence of that. Was the Board Member even asked to elaborate on this? Or did the author just assUme this was just another case of watered-down academic standards?

We all know what happens when you ass-U-me something without a reasonable basis for doing so.
It was a big article with links as well and I read quotes from both sides. My general feeling was that the education system was getting less and less concerned with, well, educating.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure that would work. What institution exists that could provide a parental rights oriented, non woke agenda pushing education?

I had asked for specifics of how the article was wrong. Still waiting. In Canada, for example, parents are not told of what a child is undergoing in regards to gender identity.

Kids were being taught to lie to parents,” said a Calgary mother whose child’s Grade 6 class was told by a teacher that the gender identify of a classmate must be kept from that student’s parents. In another instance, a Toronto mother complained that her child’s school changed her kid’s name and pronouns without ever consulting her.

It would be easy to write off such incidents as anecdotal or isolated, but the schools were merely following official government guidance."

Governments and schools are not reporting to the parents what is going on, that seems worse than an online news service failing to bring up some finer points of a story about continuing falling standards in schools. But if there is some serious flaw in the article do point it out.
When the government is doing it, it's no longer "just a few extreme activists."

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Home schooling seems to be working well for certain people. I do not know what percentage, though, of home schooled children are doing very well, compared with ones not doing well.

It is a disaster how a number of parents are a bad role model in educating their children in how to relate in a close relationship like marriage and other family sharing. Plus, kids themselves can have character to relate badly even while parents do what could help their children.

And putting kids in public corrals with peer upbringing can be even worse.

So, while ones are worried about reading and writing and math, they could be not giving such needed attention to children learning how to love.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Home schooling seems to be working well for certain people. I do not know what percentage, though, of home schooled children are doing very well, compared with ones not doing well.

It is a disaster how a number of parents are a bad role model in educating their children in how to relate in a close relationship like marriage and other family sharing. Plus, kids themselves can have character to relate badly even while parents do what could help their children.

And putting kids in public corrals with peer upbringing can be even worse.

So, while ones are worried about reading and writing and math, they could be not giving such needed attention to children learning how to love.
People talk a lot about how schools are good for "socializing" kids. But there is such a thing as "negative socialization."

The problem with school "society" is that it's far, far different from "real" society. School society is much more like prison society for the same reasons prison society is as it is:

You have an environment in which how people treat each other will bear no accountability in "the real world" when they leave. Nor are they even seriously accountable within that environment...whatever level of accountability they're held to will be limited in scope. The lessons of "justice" and "authority" in that environment are inapplicable to the "real world," and will be lessons they'll have to unlearn when they leave that environment. Children leaving the school environment are as ill prepared for the "real world" as newly released convicts.

Upvote 0