MO.
✟251,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not a cloud of guilt, nor any evil power of control remains for the believer in the Lord Jesus! The "old man," at rebirth, has lost both its "condemnation" (Ro 8:1) and "dominion" (Ro 6:14) on the believer. The guilt is gone because Christ has taken its curse; and its power to cause the believer to desire sin is annulled because "God works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure" (Phl 2:13), instead of our evil pleasure.

Though the Christian possess the old man, which continues to tempt, the power of the Lord Jesus takes the place of the power to desire sin and do evil. This is where God is most glorified--in that from now on the believer is ever controlled by the indwelling Spirit of God, "against which there is no law (opposition - Gal 5:23); and knowing this is a permanent state gives the greatest encouragement and "exhortation" (Heb 10:25).

God causes believers to "reckon" on His Word so that there will be surety of guidance concerning living according to His "pleasure;" and He will not fail here in those who are His!

Albert Barnes (1798-1870) "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust - That is, the fountain or source of all temptation is in man himself. It is true that external inducements to sin may be placed before him, but they would have no force if there was not something in himself to which they corresponded, and over which they might have power. There must be some “lust;” some desire; some inclination; something which is unsatisfied now, which is made the foundation of the temptation, and which gives it all its power. If there were no capacity for receiving food, or desire for it, objects placed before us appealing to the appetite could never be made a source of temptation; if there were nothing in the soul which could be regarded as the love of acquisition or possession, gold would furnish no temptation; if there were no sensual propensities, we should be in that quarter above the power of temptation.

Last edited:

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟118,056.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
"Though the Christian possess the old man, which continues to tempt"

We are tempted when we are led away by our own desires...
Christians are 'new creations' living in worldly situations.
We have a new nature, the old man has gone, the new man has come.

IF we sin, we are responsible.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟251,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Though the Christian possess the old man, which continues to tempt"

We are tempted when we are led away by our own desires...
Christians are 'new creations' living in worldly situations.
We have a new nature, the old man has gone, the new man has come.

IF we sin, we are responsible.
Hi, and like the reply, but it appears we have a different understanding concerning the sin nature--"the old man." Concerning the word "tempted" there is a very minute difference in this word, as it has different meanings. Verse 12, "temptation" is "peirasmos" - G3986 which means "an experiment, attempt, trial, proving."

This is similar to "tempted" in verse 13 which is "apeirastos - G551" which means "can not be tempted by evil, not liable to temptation to sin" (Strong's Greek Dictionary). It's my understanding that in this Chapter, the word "tempt" means to entice or test; and the word "tempted" is the sense that one has given in to a tempting. Verse 13 is where "tempted" has two means which are similar. "I am tempted G3985" and "cannot be tempted G551."

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟118,056.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we have a difference of opinion over 'the old man'.
I don't believe Christians have a 'dual nature'.
We are one or the other. The 'sin nature' dies.

If temptation comes, and i dont give in, i become 'more than a conquerer'.
If I am tempted, I sin

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟251,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we have a difference of opinion over 'the old man'.
I don't believe Christians have a 'dual nature'.
We are one or the other. The 'sin nature' dies.

If temptation comes, and i dont give in, i become 'more than a conquerer'.
If I am tempted, I sin
If we didn't retain the old man we wouldn't be able to sin. You have to have a sin nature to sin, otherwise you cannot sin. The issue isn't sinning for the believer but the idea of wanting to sin; God's "work" in us keeps us from wanting to sin. Believers sin unintentionally (Heb 10:26), and are impulsive sins from our nature, like envy, jealousy, anger, etc., but not "presumptuously" (Num 15:30).

If we sin willfully we are not born again, and this is what 1Jn 3:9 means by "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin," that is, does not sin on purpose. This also answers to "for His seed (the new man or new nature) remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." What we have in our heart is what God is concerned about, because in our heart is our "treasure" (Mat 6:21; 12:35).

Upvote 0