Terry.Trent

Mar 29, 2003
Leesburg, Virginia
✟7,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! I went to Aquire The Fire in February (did i spell that right?) and it was my first time, so i didn't really understand what was going to happen. It was very fun. I made a very big commitment while i was there. they were offering something like contracts, to not date for a year....sort of. The contract basically says that i will not date *people* for a year. Instead, spend the time i would 'date' with God. I haven't really had a 'real' date before, but i used to hang out with a couple different girls alot (i don't mean like that, you perverts). But now i spend most of that time i was spending with girls with God. maybe not by just reading the bible, or studying up, but I spend time with Him. I pray a lot now, in fact, i have a website devoted completely to prayer. if you want to goto it, click my homepage, and it will take you there. The front page explains it, and if you would like to be apart of it, and spread the site in your area, feel free to email me! I also do a lot of reading now. I am currently reading a book called 'Wild At Heart' (non-fiction). Its good so far. I read 'The Fisherman' before that (fiction).

well, now to get to my point. I would like to know what you all think! I became a christian September 25th of last year, so i'm still new to all this. Thanks!

Acquire the Fire is an amazing thing, and I myself went to the one in Pittsburgh this May. It was an amazing experience and the thing about having a relationship with God before other relationships was amazing...but it hit home hard. I've been in a bit of a pinch in the whole romance thing for quite a long while and I was sitting next to the person that that whole thing revolved around while all of this "No dating, no trying to date, etc for a year" thing was being said. And it made me uncomfortable.

That's when I realized it was probably the best thing for me. When you've been comfortable for too long, you know you're getting lazy on God's work. So I've devoted myself to a year. (Most likely more.)

Upvote 0

Bedwyr

I-Don't-Know's on third.
Hewitt said:
I've never been to one of these conferences but the concept isn't new to me. Dating God first is always an awesome idea because it's setting a strong foundation that will last for a lifetime! :)

It is a fresh concept and I like it. I just hope people don't take it too far, though. I've seen a lot of "Jesus is my buddy" sentiment in churches lately and that's just not Biblical. It's sort of like a parent sacrificing their role as an authority to a child and messing the entire relationship up. We really aren't meant to relate to God on such informal footing.

Bedwyr

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love Acquire the Fire and their message of getting kids saved. It's an incredible ministry! HOWEVER, I think that they focus WAY TOO MUCH on not dating. You can date and still honor and keep your relationship with God just as strong. If you feel that God is leading you not to date, kudos to you! I felt that ATF really tried to guilt teens into not dating, and I just think that's a bad idea.

Upvote 0
I'm actually in agreement with Cammie. I didn't entirely like the whole thing on the dating, and they did really try to push it onto everyone there. I've come to agree to it mainly because I don't foresee the situation I'm in getting better without some serious God-time.

But the whole non-dating thing aside, AtF is amazing. I wish I could attend their Honor Academy.

Upvote 0